It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

Pookah83 HB User
Recovery questions after removal of 2 neuromas.

I had my surgery 5/2 so I am 9 days post-op. One incision, 2 neuromas, absorb-able sutures. I was not able to weight-bear since I received no surgical shoe (bandage was too large) until yesterday when the bandages were changed and I got the shoe. The foot is still very swollen, almost lumpy on the bottom where most of the pain is. My toes also do not move very much when I attempt to do so and from the pinky toe down had been squashed so much by the dressing that there is a crease down the bottom of my foot and its sunken in down the top.

Is it normal for everything to still be so swollen/bruised, for not much movement in toes and the pain when trying to walk? Is it possible the stitches are making it harder to move things?

Last edited by Pookah83; 05-11-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Recovery questions after removal of 2 neuromas.

It could be. I was walking on mine from day 1 so I have no NWB experience with this. Was the incision on top? I had swelling and brusing until at least the sutures came out at 2 weeks so some of that is to be expected.

And yes, it was sore as well. Walking was a little problematic as I had to slowly put weight on it till the swelling equalized and dissipated every time I stood up to walk, talking a minute or so to do. Very annoying. But was in a regular shoe at 2 weeks.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

Pookah83 HB User

Hi thanks for your reply. Yeah I was surprised I was not given the shoe, but he removed 2 neuromas from both sides of the middle toe via same incision on the top so I guess he wanted it packed well. Lot of gauze on top.

The bottom just feels/looks very swollen to me and my toes and it seem squashed together even with looser dressings. I guess I'm just worried about this loss of motion and relaxation in the toes and ball of the foot.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Since I don't know about the dissolvable sutures, I'lls ay that you should be able to move them fairly well at 3 weeks. If not, go back to the doc.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
(female)

Pookah83 HB User

Should the middle toe still feel cold in relation to the other toes warmth? If I have the fan on or after I get out of the shower it is noticeably a cold toe whilst the others are fine.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

I don't recall noticing it being any colder than the others. However, I have Raynaud's also so my feet are always cold!

Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
(female)

Pookah83 HB User

An update. Had the surgery 5/2/12 and it is now 5/28/12 aka about 3 weeks 5 days later.

Swelling has reduced a lot but still cannot fit the foot in a shoe. Walking is still especially difficult barefoot as all I feel is a painful lumpyness in the ball of the foot area. Walking in the surgical shoe still limping and long duration painful and more swelling after.

Toes able to move more but still fairly stiff. I get a weird sensation like thread is wound around the toes and moves over/into them if I touch the ball of my foot. Also scar tissue pulling from inside with certain movements. Is that similar to anyone else's experience?

<removed>

Old 05-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Sorry but I experienced none of that. What does your doctor say?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
(female)

Pookah83 HB User

[QUOTE=Titchou;4988665]Sorry but I experienced none of that. What does your doctor say?[/QUOTE]

I've only seen him twice since the surgery. I see him again on Thursday trying to get some idea where I am on recovery compared to others. My incision isn't quite closed either, like a thin cut still but I've heard others say it was completely closed for them at this point. Might be a difference in sutures, mine were absorb-able etc. I sometimes under-report symptoms at the actual doctor's if I think they are probably par for the course but I guess I might as well just tell him all I've said here.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

I think that's a good idea...

Keep us posted!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
(female)

Pookah83 HB User

He's keeping me out of work for another 2-3 weeks. Its been 4 already and 6 was his projected time anyway. He did say I might need physical therapy though. Said it may still be normal to be having the temperature and discoloration problems for another couple weeks but to watch it. Especially if I suddenly have more pain or something.

Also said there may be a hematoma in surgery site so that may be part of the ball of the foot feeling hard and lumpy to walk on. I gather that I am meant to do more elevating and apparently take more ibuprofen for the swelling. Hopefully going to buy some flip flops that will be comfortable as a sort of midway between the surgical shoe and actual shoe since I can't fit in mine yet.

Closed Thread