It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
(male)

Whetzell HB User
Ankle Sprain, better but still pain after 4 months : (

Hi,

I had a bad fall 4 months ago playing basketball. The pain was pretty intense but I was able to walk off the court so I assumed I was ok.

I had really bad swelling in the next week but it gradually got better to where it is not longer swollen at all (4 months later).

I still have pain right below the ball of my ankle but only when I press on that ligament. Just from reading online I am assuming I am touching the calcaneofibular ligament.

I am wondering if I tore this ligament completely or if it was just a very bad level 2 sprain.

Some notes: I feel no instability but I haven't felt comfortable to run or jump until very recently.

I have made an appointment for a foot and ankle doctor but I wanted to hear people's thoughts first to prepare me. I guess I would like to know if it would actually start to feel better even if there was permanent damage that might need surgery.

Thank you guys so much,

Jason

Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Ankle Sprain, better but still pain after 4 months : (

Hi and welcome to the boards! Sorry you need them, but glad you found them. If it has been 4 months and you are continuing to have pain and only felt ok enough to run and jump recently, then very good move to get it checked out and I'm glad you have an appt with a foot/ankle doctor. Most insurance companies won't approve MRIs now until there are symptoms at and after 6 wks and clearly that's the case here. Sometimes you can tear (whether partial or full) a ligament and it will quit hurting and you only have the instability and sometimes you can tear a ligament and it never stops hurting and may or may not feel unstable. You are doing the right thing by getting it checked out, trust me. I just had ankle reconstruction #2 from ankle sprains. The key to ankle sprains is early and correct treatment. Let us know how your appt goes! When is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
Whetzell (05-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
(male)

Whetzell HB User

I have an appointment a week from tomorrow.

I never had trouble putting weight on it either, not sure if that means anything more.

One site said to not participate in sports until you can hop on that foot without pain. I did so without incident, although I did feel silly : )

In recent weeks it has been hard for me to remember which ankle is hurt, I don't know if that indicates a healing ankle or a severed ligament that no longer hurts.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

All of those things sound like it is healing but is still get it checked out to be sure.

Whetzell (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
(male)

Whetzell HB User

Oh one other thing I should mention.

I have no insurance so I'm not sure an MRI is in the cards for me.

I sort of felt like I might get more info here then an x rayless, mri-less appointment.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ah, well that could be true as the doctor most likely isn't going to be able to give you a definitive diagnosis without some type of films. However, this is a support and experience board not a medical advice board so you shouldn't really take what we say over your doctor. With that said, are you on Medicaid? They will usually allow for X-rays and MRIs too I think, once certain criteria are met. If not and you are completely paying out of pocket for the visit and anything and everything else, X-rays aren't typically TOO TOO much and maybe you could at least get those. However, your doctor will tell you what you really need and help you with pricing. There are physical tests he can do to test for ligament laxity called the anterior drawer test that tests your anterior talofibular ligament and the talar tilt test that tests your calcaneofibular ligament which is the ligament you feel is in question. I will say that RARELY is the CFL injured alone. Rarely is it isolated because in just about 100% of ankle sprains, the ATFL is injured and is the first ligament to be injured. And yes, there's always the possibility to being that rare exception and yes the ATFL can be injured and stop hurting and the CFL can be injured at the same time and continue to hurt. Hope that helps!

Whetzell (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
(male)

Whetzell HB User

I do feel some pain when pressing down above the ball of the ankle too. Not where any ligament I know of is located though. Sort of just a mild soreness along the tibula bone.

When I put pressure with my hand around the front (toe side) of the ball of my ankle there is no pain or tenderness but when I feel the back (heel side) of the ball I feel tenderness only on the lower part where I believe the CFL is located.

Thank you so much for your responses. I feel like it will help me go into the appointment somewhat educated on the topic.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
(male)

Whetzell HB User

I do feel some pain when pressing down above the ball of the ankle too. Not where any ligament I know of is located though. Sort of just a mild soreness along the tibula bone.

When I put pressure with my hand around the front (toe side) of the ball of my ankle there is no pain or tenderness but when I feel the back (heel side) of the ball I feel tenderness only on the lower part where I believe the CFL is located.

Thank you so much for your responses. I feel like it will help me go into the appointment somewhat educated on the topic.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

No problem, it is what the boards are for! If you do have pain when pressing on the ankle bone, probably will need an X-ray to rule out a fracture. If you are able, I would let your doctor take X-rays. Just update us after your appt and let us know how it goes!!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
(male)

Whetzell HB User

I saw the Doctor early he had an opening today! I went in and expressed my concerns and he knew immediately where it would hurt. He says that ligament is the last one to heal usually and sometimes the soreness lingers.

He gave me a cortisone shot and said that should help the ligament heal.

He thinks I'm ready to start exercise right away, and says I should feel the difference from the shot in the next 3 days.

He seemed adamant about it not being a rupture, I'm still not 100% but it is comforting that doctor thinks I'm ok.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's great!! So glad you got in early and he didn't feel there was a fracture. I am a little surprised that he didn't want to do any films though. What ligament did he tell you it was and where did he stick the needle? Hopefully this works for you and you are done with the whole thing! I hope so! What else didmhemhave to say?

Whetzell (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
(male)

Whetzell HB User

I asked if he thought it might be a fracture and he said no. He seemed to think based on my mobility and the ability to put weight on it.

He also said the tendon is probably sore as well since it hurts a tad above the ball of my ankle as well.

He shot the cortisone right under the ball of the ankle where the calcaneoficular ligament was tender.

I have to admit it did feel rushed, but he did seem to care, I could tell if I wanted an xray or MRI he would have listened he just seemed to not be concerned but said if I still had concerns after a week or two to call in.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well that sounds right and fair. How did it feel today? Could you tell any difference? If you're tender right above the lateral malleolus, then your tendon probably is sore or inflamed. Keep up to date on how you are doing!!

Closed Thread