It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
(male)

bobl61 HB User
Calf and foot swelling, pain, edema

I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion to what the source of my problem might be. I've had swelling, pain, and (pitting)edema in both calves and ankles for about 3 weeks. I've read up on everything I can find, and nothing is working. I can't raise my legs (as suggested) because it increases the pain to a severe level.I have not been able to lie down for the whole 3 weeks. I've been getting any sleep I can by sitting down, with both legs on the floor. Here are the tests, and x-rays I've had so far:

Routine Chemistry
EGFR
Endocrinology / Special Chemistry
Routine Urinalysis
Result: All within range

Arterial DOP Multi-Level/Lower
Impression: No evidence for occlusive peripheral vascular disease

Venous Duplex Lower Bilateral
Impression: No evidence of DVT in either lower extremity

Lumbosacral Spine 2 Views
Impression: Unremarkable examination of the lumbar spine

Chest, PA and LAT
Impression: No evidence of active inflammatory disease

Ankles Bilateral
Impression: No evidence of osseous abnormality

Foot, Complete, Min 3V, RT

Foot, Complete, Min 3V, LT

I was also tested for gout and lyme disease, but I don't have those results in front of me. Everything has come back negative or within range so far.

I'm scheduled to see a urologist next month, but I'm trying to find some relief in the mean time. Any insight, suggestions, etc. much appreciated.

I am a type 2 diabetic, and have been diagnosed with fybromyalgia.

The following user gives a hug of support to bobl61:
charleygurl (05-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Calf and foot swelling, pain, edema

Okay, just for short-term solutions, have you tried restricting salt? Has the doctor tried a diuretic? Are you short of breath?

I understand that elevating is painful, but does it become less painful if you keep doing it for a while? Have you tried ice?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
(male)

bobl61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Okay, just for short-term solutions, have you tried restricting salt? Has the doctor tried a diuretic? Are you short of breath?

I understand that elevating is painful, but does it become less painful if you keep doing it for a while? Have you tried ice?
Thanks for the reply. I have not 'restricted' salt. I do try to watch the sodium intake. I have tried Diurex Ultra, but nothing prescribed. No shortness of breath. I've been trying to elevate the legs, but after about 10 minutes, the pain is too severe. I've tried doing the ice and heating pad ritual.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

dugan59 HB User

Have you been tested for popliteal entrapment syndrome? I have had pitting edema in my ankle, foot and calve for almost a year. Elevating does not help, compression socks do not help. It turns out I have a vein entrapment behind my knee. It is rare. This condition is most often congenital. It causes pain in the calve and sometimes foot. I didn't have pain at first.

Closed Thread