It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

Slillymom HB User
Hit my foot against the floor after brostrom

I had a brostrom repair to my my left ankle on May 17th. Last night while getting up to use the bathroom I missed the knee walker and fell. My knee was in a bent position and I hit my foot against the floor. I mainly hit my toes, but my whole foot was jarred. Should I be concerned about having damaged my surgery site? I'm having some more pain, but not too terrible. I just don't want to ignore it completely and find out I wrecked everything that was fixed. Any advice would be great. Did anyone else hit there foot like this and have no lasting problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
(female)

dmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB User
Re: Hit my foot against the floor after brostrom

I think all of us at some point did hit the foot. I did two days after surgery, while it hurt, the ankle never twisted which is what would actually do the damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to dmbnj For This Useful Post:
Slillymom (05-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
(male)

posttibtend HB User

I stepped on my surgical foot with all of my weight after 12 days post-op for posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. I had a tendon transfer and was concerned that the suture may have come out of the "tied together tendon." My doctor assured me not to worry since the step occurred in the splint I was wearing (which was made to protect my foot). She mentioned that her other patients report falling or banging their feet as well and its not a big deal. Its easy to understand why we (as patients) would worry about such things after all the trouble we and our doctors are going through to deal with our foot issues.
Take care and I hope you heal well.

The Following User Says Thank You to posttibtend For This Useful Post:
Slillymom (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

When I fell the day of surgery after having a cheilectomy (great toe surgery) last June, the quallifier the nurse asked me about when I called was "is it 'exquisite' pain?" No, it was just sore. So would you call it "exquisite" pain?" If not, then you are probably fine,

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Slillymom (05-20-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I fell when my crutch slipped within the first 3 wks after surgery putting all my weight on the foot. While I experienced more and increased pain, nothing was damaged. The cast is very protective! I think you're probably good since its just more sore and not extreme pain. Plus it got jarred vs all your weight on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
Slillymom (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
(male)

Tommiebones HB User

As I was being wheeled out to go home by the nurse at the hospital, she made a turn too sharp and smacked my foot/ankle into the corner of the wall. Don't remember the words I said immediately following, but you can imagine I'm sure. Anyway....No harm was done. You will bump it time and again. And...... I fell down a flight of stairs and the cast did its job once again. Its more sensitive and will be for a while so when you bump it it's going to feel worse than it is.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

Slillymom HB User

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. It eases my mind.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
(female)

Little Ms Bump HB User

Hi I had a bostrum repair done on 13 June - I was recommended it after having ankle/lower shin pain whilst training for a marathon and after 6 weeks of no running and still pain to run an mri and xray showed up complete rupture of lateral ligments - I was a bit confused as that part of my ankle seemed fine but they said it could have stemmed from an old sprain years ago & the pain I was getting was due to my instable ankle.

Im now almost 6 weeks NWB still in a cast using crutches and seem to fall every single day so covered in bruises but luckily avoiding bad leg. However about 3 times now I have fallen on bad leg whilst its still in the cast completley putting my full body weight onto my bad leg but tonight was my worst fall tripping over a wire & is the worst pain so far. I would say it's not excrutiating but throbbing - especially on the top of the ankle - from yr experiences am I just worrying over nothing? I know all of said you had done something similar was all okay once you had finished PT?

My cast is due to come off the end of this week then im going into a boot and partial weight bearing. Im just worried I have undone everything and I dont think I could cope if the opp didnt work. Thanks

Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
(female)

Slillymom HB User

I have been of my walking cast for a few weeks now. I fell more than once and was worried myself, but have had no lasting complications. My healing has gone pretty smoothly. I am still a little tender and I try to take it easy. I 'm still waiting to see how the surgery pans out long term

Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I fell while still in my cast after a Brostrom, peroneal tendon repair, and fibular groove deepening. I was less than 3 weeks out. It hurt really bad because all my weight went on it, but all was fine. This is exactly why doctors put patients in casts after this surgery. Very high protection. I'm now 5 months out from surgery and 5 weeks out from finishing PT and I've had no lasting effects from the fall. In fact, I actually stepped on some uneven ground the other day not realizing it and it scared me and I squeezed my eyes shut waiting for my ankle to roll and the pain to start because this is what usually happened....BEFORE surgery. But I opened my eyes and realized it didn't roll and didn't feel unstable and there was no pain and it was awesome!! I think you will be just fine!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
(female)

Little Ms Bump HB User

Thank you both for your messages. I was just worried as my toes & a bit of my foot stick are quite exposed out of my cast (not suree if this is normal) so when I fell onto them put my toes plantes straight onto the floor & I could feel it stretch the tendons but as my whole body fell over my ankle which couldnt move and the force went right over my ankle. Its still sore this morning around the achillies and top of ankle but it is reassuring to hear people going through the same obsticles and coming out unscathed. I think family & friends whilst supportive dont always understand worries & concerns. Really glad to hear your suscess operation hollywood and hope u continue to make good progession slillymom

Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you and yes I know what you mean about friends and family being supportive, but no one truly understands unless they've been through it! And yes, it's normal for your toes and a little but of the foot to be out of the cast. Usually it's just the toes, but I have seen a bit of the foot out too. Elevate and ice!!

Closed Thread