It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User
One week post pttd surgery!

Very happy to be one week out from the surgery, two more to go before my bandage comes off and stitches come out. I can't say it's been an easy week, I felt prepared for the pain mentally before the surgery but reality is always much more intense. I do feel like there is slow easing off of the pain every day.

Like most people who have posted about the surgery, I find the pain when lowering the foot to be the worst part of the recovery. The best way I have found to deal with it is to go ahead and get going on my crutches so that I am not focusing on the feeling in my foot. Doesn't completely take the pain away but it is much better than sitting and feeling how intensely it hurts...

I am not sure I will be able to use a knee walker until I get this cast and bandage off, when I tried it after I got home it felt too heavy. I might try it again in a few days to see if it's any better.

Right now I am down to one percocet every six hours alternating with advil. I've been happily surprised at how well I have been sleeping. I always feel much better in the morning and early afternoon than I do in the evening.

I really look forward to reading more posts from those of you who are farther along in your recovery. It helps keep me motivated!!

And for anyone reading this who is unsure about having the surgery, I know how that feels. For me it became about how limiting the pain in my foot was getting, I started to avoid doing things that involved a lot of walking. So knowing that pttd is progressive I decided to go ahead, and I am glad I didn't wait because my tendon wasn't as bad as my doctor thought it might be. She's really optimistic that I will do well.

The following user gives a hug of support to ljturner:
Fenn11 (05-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: One week post pttd surgery!

So glad the pain is getting better! It was easier for me to use my knee walker after I got my post surgical splint off and got my cast on too!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I'm glad to hear that you at doing somewhat better! Recovery from foot surgery is a trollers coaster ride, and actually experiencing the pain vs reading about it is completely different. Your best bet at this point is to keep it elevated as much as possible. I used my knee scooter to prop my leg up on while I sat on the couch. You probably need to be propped up toes above nose for first 2 or 3 weeks according to my Dr. Things will get better soon.
I'm 11 weeks post op and I still have swelling by the end of the day. I am mostly using crutches now and putting more weight on my foot, almost half my weight at this point. It feels so good to be more mobile and less restricted! This is an exciting and painfull part of recovery. You will be there before you know it, hang in there. :-)

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
(male)

RollTide09 HB User

I know how you feel. I am 12 weeks post-op tomorrow. I can tell you in this scenario time does indeed heal all. I have not had a really bad pain day in the last 4 weeks. It seemed to taper of about week 4 then again about week 6 then dropped like a stone. I still get twinges occassionally but considering I have 8 screws, a metal plate and a handful of staples in my foot now I am not too suprised. Even the twinges are minor now. I am walking with a boot and just the past week dropped the crutches and cane. It feels like I have turned the corner and am finally headed down the home stretch.

Good luck to you and keep the faith. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Glad to hear you have made it to the other side. Planemark is right. At this stage you really should have your foot elevated (toes above the nose) for the first couple of weeks. Good time to catch up on some movies or read a good book! The more you have your foot down, the more swelling and pain you will experience.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
(female)

Always good to hear stories of the pain lessening, today is a bit better than yesterday! We've had a few humid days in a row and that was really making the swelling uncomfortable, but today is a bit drier so it's not so bad. I am still elevating almost all of the time, and icing in the evenings. It amazes me how much energy it takes to do anything and how sleepy I get during the day. I am sure that will also lessen with time.

I might try to go to a family picnic this weekend - we have an anti-gravity chair that I can sit in. I'm playing it by ear, it will be my first time out. I am very ready to see beyond the walls of my living room but at the same time I am not sure I'll be up for it when the time comes. I am going to spend some time outside tomorrow in the chair to see how I feel, the picnic is Sunday.

Hope everyone who celebrates it has a great Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

Yes, the lack of energy is quite common and very normal. I was complaining about a lack of energy, and I thought there might be something else wrong with me. It wasn't untill this week, my 11th week post op, that I had enough energy to start being more active. I know that everyone's body is different, and you may bounce back sooner I hope. Thanks to the encouragement of everyone on here like Hollywood and the rest, I didn't get too discouraged.
When you have surgery your body goes into healing mode and uses most of its resources to heal the injured limb. I didn't realize how major this foot surgery was. No wonder my body was working around the clock to heal, and no wonder there is so much swelling.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
(female)

The energy thing is pretty amazing. I had another surgery in January and it took a few months to feel like I was somewhat back to normal energy. Even then though I was generally reserving one day on the weekend to rest.

Now I am starting to think about going back to work, at least from home, fairly soon. I am taking unpaid leave right now so I can't put it off too long! Fortunately my employer has been really understanding - I just joined the agency in October 2011 and have already been out twice for surgery! That has probably been the most stressful thing about this process, because I feel like I haven't yet gotten a chance to really establish myself with my agency. Not much I can do other than to heal well and get back to business!

Realized this morning that I have got to stop going barefoot on my good foot, it's starting to ache and the last thing I need is to have to have another flat foot surgery! I already know I need to have the achilles lengthened on that one, as well I need to have some bone spurs cleaned up. I fractured the ankle a long time ago and got some spurs where the screws used to be. So that said I have my shoe with the orthotic in it back on this morning.

The other thing I am dealing with it increasing pain in my shoulder, from going up and down the stairs on my rear (pushing off with my right leg and arms). It's the only way I can do it and so now I am icing the shoulder and the foot at night. Do not want to end up in surgery for that!!

I must say this is quite an experience...

Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

The first several weeks are the most difficult because just going to the bathroom is exhausting. Being NWB takes a toll on the body. Things will gradually get better. Just listen to your body and don't overdo. Keep your leg elevated and be good to yourself!!!! I am almost two years post op and am feeling good.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
(female)

Rd2Recovery HB UserRd2Recovery HB User

I will be 2 weeks post op on Friday from posterior tibial tendon transfer with calcaneus osteomy. I have to say that the non weight bearing part is the most difficult. I have a knee scooter and it has been a life saver for me. I am home most of the day by myself and it allows me to get drinks and food easier. I currently have a splint in the back of foot and leg with lots of bandages. Friday I get a hard cast. Not sure how long I will be in that. I just know the doc has me non weight bearing for 10 weeks. Counting them down.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
(female)

Rd2Recovery HB UserRd2Recovery HB User

Yes this is quite a process. Ugh! I had surgery for PTT 11 days ago. Be careful with your shoulder. I had a bad broken ankle on the other ankle that required plates and screws and also had torn my ACL and while I was scooting up the stairs on my bottom I injured my shoulder which froze up and required manipulation to tear the adhesions while I had my ACL repaired. This is a difficult road we are on.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

[QUOTE=Rd2Recovery;4989253]Yes this is quite a process. Ugh! I had surgery for PTT 11 days ago. Be careful with your shoulder. I had a bad broken ankle on the other ankle that required plates and screws and also had torn my ACL and while I was scooting up the stairs on my bottom I injured my shoulder which froze up and required manipulation to tear the adhesions while I had my ACL repaired. This is a difficult road we are on.[/QUOTE]

How is everyone doing? Ljturnrr? Etc? Thanks.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
(female)

I am 7 months out. Still have daily pain, in the achilles mostly - very stiff in the morning especially. I continue to have an awkward gait a lot of the time and stairs are still more of a step/hop than regular steps. It does get better throughout the day.

I just remind myself of how far I have come. This surgery was a lot tougher on me than I expected!

The Following User Says Thank You to ljturner For This Useful Post:
Pesher (12-17-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
(male)

I am 9 months post op myself. I am amazed at what a long, hard process this has been. I have really noticed over the past month that my foot & leg are getting allot stronger. This is so exciting! I still have trouble walking or standing for a long time. The foot gets sore and I get pain going up my leg if I really overdue it. My OS tells me that I shouldn't be having pain at this stage, and he thinks its just in my head. I'm waiting on an orthotic insert and going to start work conditioning in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I now don't have a job to return to. I was terminated last week because I have been out on workers comp from all my injuries too long.
I hope everyone else is doing good and getting stronger too! I'm glad you have come so far Ljturner. Happy Holidays to everyone!

The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post:
ljturner (12-18-2012)
Closed Thread