It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

BBallInjury HB User
Brostrom (Ligament reconstruction) - Return to Work

Had the brostrum performed on April 13th. Followed the protocols on pain, etc. Got out of my cast this past Monday (May 21st), and am now using a air type splint. I haven't been working due to pain and the amount of walking I would have to be doing. Call me stupid, but I didn't expect my ankle to hurt after the cast was removed (even today)! I've had to start taking the norcos again. My ankle and foot are swelling - crazy. Am I doing too much? I'm scheduled to return to work on this coming Tuesday, but my friends think I'm being unrealistic. I already had the doctor release me to work. I know I can have this changed, but how long have any of you been off work for this type of surgery?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

poppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB User
Re: Brostrom (Ligament reconstruction) - Return to Work

I had ligament reconstruction and I was off work for 8 weeks. I am on my feet all day long other than when I sit down to eat lunch. For me 8 weeks was just about perfect. I was transitioned to weight bearing fairly quickly. I can't remember how long I was NWB, but only had a splint for the 1st week and then boot from there on after. If you are just out of the cast now, and starting to walk I can see why you are taking the norco again. That was a painful time. Goodluck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
(female)

BBallInjury HB User

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. It's interesting to me how doctors use diffenent types of support for their patients - i.e., cast with shoe, boot, crutches, etc., and we're all so different with recovery times.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Transitioning from cast to walking boot is very painful. I wouldn't go back to work too soon if you can help it. I've had 2 Brostroms and the first was 11 years ago and I was in a cast for 3-4 wks on crutches. I went back to work full time (also released by my doctor) in the boot on week 5. As an RN working s ICU, I was on my feet all day and I went back too soon. I had a lot of complications from it. I didn't mess up the surgery, but I had no PT and I had a LOT of pain and a TON of swelling (which contributed to the pain) for a long while after. Prolonged use of the boot because I couldn't move as fast without it and to help with pain. It was very difficult. The 2nd Brostrom I just had done on 2/22/12 (along with other stuff) and I was in a cast for 6 wks NWB and a boot for 3 wks and now still in a lace up brace and on week 7 of PT and things are going SO much better. I had a different surgeon though. First was general (mistake) and this last one is foot/ankle OS. I can't even begin to say how much better of a recovery this was. Now if I still worked outside the house, I would've felt good and safe to go back at 8 wks as long as I was in the boot. I still am dealing with swelling and some pain, but most is therapy related and not on the scale I dealt with after the first surgery! Good luck and let us know!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
(female)

BBallInjury HB User

Thank you so much for your comments! What a difference between your first surgery and your second. I actually injured my ankle over 30 years ago, and re-injured it numerous times thereafter. I consulted various orthopedic surgeons over the years and most were unsure of how successful the surgery would be. They'd send me to physical therapy and it seemed it didn't help much. Finally got to the point where I couldn't walk without pain. I opted to go to foot/ankle speciailist and what a difference! He was shocked at the "give" in my ankle and said I would definitely have a good result from the surgery - maybe not to the high level of sports I had been in my youth, but enough for me to resume sports in general. Believe it or not, the pain I experience now is about the same as before the surgery - but it's surgery pain! So happy I did this, but I guess I'm wanting the recovery to be quicker. Again, thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallInjury View Post
Had the brostrum performed on April 13th. Followed the protocols on pain, etc. Got out of my cast this past Monday (May 21st), and am now using a air type splint. I haven't been working due to pain and the amount of walking I would have to be doing. Call me stupid, but I didn't expect my ankle to hurt after the cast was removed (even today)! I've had to start taking the norcos again. My ankle and foot are swelling - crazy. Am I doing too much? I'm scheduled to return to work on this coming Tuesday, but my friends think I'm being unrealistic. I already had the doctor release me to work. I know I can have this changed, but how long have any of you been off work for this type of surgery?
I had a modified brostrom as well as work on the other ligament(can never remember the name) and shredded muscle removed on 2/22/12. I was able to work at home for 8 or 9 weeks after surgery because I was in so much pain and it was my right foot, so I couldn't drive. I was like you, I had no idea I'd be in pain so long. It is a very slow process - don't do too much too fast - or you may pay for it later. If you can take more time off - I would do it...... I just started rehab this week and still struggle with pain off and on...but it does get better!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
(female)

BBallInjury HB User

Thanks joyful123! Maybe I'll try some remote work from my house. Unfortunately, a lot of my job requires interraction with people in person. I'll see what I can work out with my boss. Fortunately, she's very understanding. And with all of this chaos of my ankle, everthing has been put in perspective because my mother has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It's not all about me!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Oh Wow, I'm so sorry about your mom! This really is a difficult surgery - I wasn't prepared for it at all - mentally....but it does get better. Just don't push it if you don't have too. That's my advice Maybe you could do web cam talks instead of face to face interviews. I work on a computer all day, so that's how I was able to do it.....

Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Oh goodness! I'm so sorry about your mom!! Gracious, it does put things into perspective!! However, I do agree with JOYFUL in that you need to take it easy and do as much from home as you can. Recover as well as you can so you can take care of your mom!!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
(male)

jsc149 HB User

I had a scope and brostrom-gould repair on my right ankle on May 10th. I had a little more damage than they expected, so he said I may not have full function as I am used to. I had a nerve block done by an anesthesiologist I knew, so I had 30 hours of no pain afterwards. They do blocks that last for 3 days, but those are a couple grande extra. I pretty much had it elevated 24/7 for 11 days, sitting on a chaise and watching TV and computer. When the block wore off, I ended up taking a max of 2 hydrocodones and 1 phenergen then manned up without meds for the rest of the time. The pain wasn't bad, just the weird sensation of the stitches from time to time and slight pain from the swelling. I kinda actually want it swelled, because when it went down, the stitch feeling would come back up again, but I still kept it elevated. I didn't get an ortho walker and used crutches the whole time. I got the surgical splint off 11 days later and am currently in a hard cast till June 4th. I was NWB in the surgical splint and supposed to be NWB in the hard cast, but I set my cast down when standing up in the hard cast, not shifting weight on it, but more or less letting it touch down. They left the stitches in the hard cast.

The hardest part was crutching around, especially when I had class orientation for grad school and I had to sweat my butt off trying to keep up with the tours. I liked the mini workouts trying to get to places, but when I am obligated to follow, its tough, and also the courtesy everyone gives is awkward, because I am not used to it.

Pain has been non-existent in the hard cast, the only thing... so annoying, is that they removed the tegaderm covering the stitches and they catch the stocking and subsequently produced the extremely aggravating sensation of pine needles *****ing your feet. This only happens when it isn't swelling... so I kinda want it to swell.

I started driving with my right foot a couple of days ago. I use my toes on the petals. No subsequent pain.

I haven't been totally compliant with doctor's orders about NWB when in the hard cast. I do not place full weight on the cast, but I do set it down and I have been driving with it.

Also, very important info on post-surgical diet, do not eat a lot of carbs and sugar, it can lead to a greater chance of post-surgical infection. I stuck to protein powder, whole grain bread, and whatever food my wife cooks up. I made sure I got plenty of nutrition and also supplemented with vitamins. Drink plenty of water and get up and occasionally move around to avoid any blood clots.

Closed Thread

Tags
brostrum, brostrum procedure, ligament repair