HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Peroneal Tendon Subluxation ? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/902184-peroneal-tendon-subluxation.html)

Succinite 05-24-2012 09:48 AM

Peroneal Tendon Subluxation ?

Hi :)

I'm still recovering from an ankle sprain about a month ago, and physical therapy seems to be helping a lot. However, I feel like I may have an underlying problem that no one at the orthopedic clinic has addressed. All along, I've not been dealing with a doctor, but his assistant. I had mentioned my ankle making a 'popping' noise at the time of the injury, and then complained for a week that it seemed like something was slipping and popping in my ankle causing a LOT of pain, even in the middle of the night. I asked if this was caused by a tendon slipping or something, and he just replied, "Yeah, probably." This answer didn't really satisfy me, so I've been doing a lot of research on the internet, and am positive, from the location and the symptoms, that it was a peroneal tendon subluxation. I'm just wondering why he didn't mention this or even address my concerns.

I've been in a boot for a couple of weeks now, and that seems to have stopped the popping and grinding, but then again, I haven't been walking normally or doing any strenuous activity, so I'm worried this problem might 'pop' up again, pun intended. From what I've read, in many cases this can't be repaired without surgery, or can become a long-term recurring condition, so I'm a bit concerned. Do you think I should question the PA about this further, or am I worrying for nothing?

maggietaz 05-24-2012 03:46 PM

Re: Peroneal Tendon Subluxation ?

I think you should question the PA further. I had peroneal tendon surgery on both ankles and there are tests they do in the office to see if the tendon is subluxing out of the groove. It is your ankle and you want it to be right.

Hollywood48 05-25-2012 01:05 AM

I agree with MAGGIE. Question him and I think might ask to see the doctor or just make an appt to see him/her instead of the PA. I just had surgery for peroneal tendon subluxation (along with other things) on 2/22/12 and my doctor broke and drilled my fibula to deepen the groove so they won't keep popping our. There are tests they can do. Funny story for me-I'm an RN so my doctor asks me a lot of questions in medical terms nd he asked if I thought my peroneal tendons were subluxing (he already suspected from clinical exam and my MRI that I had a tendon tear and tendinitis). I told him no they weren't popping out and he said ok. He did the exam anyway to be thorough and they were in fact popping out and then he had me feel it while he manipulated them! Weird to feel it in my ankle and with my hands! So there's a spectrum here! I knew mine hurt but couldn't feel them popping out and you can feel yours and does it hurt? Definitely question that further!!

Succinite 05-26-2012 09:38 PM

Thanks for the replies ladies. I go back to see the PA on Tuesday, along with the PT, so hoping to bring this up then. I'm just a newbie at medical terminology, because I'm taking transcription editing courses, and subluxing peroneal tendons was a new one for me ;) Actually, all of this has sparked an interest, and now I may pursue orthopedics transcription. Glad your doctor was able to tell that's what was going on with you. In the last couple of weeks, the tendons have not really bothered me, but my ankle feels very stiff when trying to dorsiflex or invert my foot, and it is very hard to tell visibly if the tendon is subluxing or not, because it is still swollen in the ankle and area of the lateral malleolus.

I don't hear or feel the popping anymore, but my range of motion is limited, so it's hard to tell. However, I really did notice the problem a few days after my sprain. My ankle felt loose, and when my foot would move in certain directions, but especially in any type of circular motion, I could feel something slipping and catching. It felt like a sort of 'painful slither' from somewhere in my foot all the way to my calf. That's the only way I can really describe it. The pain would shoot all the way up my leg. It felt like something was slipping over the malleolus from one side to the other and it was VERY painful for quite a while after this would happen. It would even do it if my foot turned too far down or to the side in the middle of the night. The area around the lateral malleolus is still quite swollen and 3 or 4 times the size of the one on my 'good foot', so visually it is hard to see if anything is moving. If the tendon had slipped, could it slip back into place and stay there?...or is it only a matter of time before the symptoms return? I guess I'll find out next week. Got my fingers crossed that he'll take me seriously this time.

Hollywood48 05-27-2012 12:55 AM

It definitely sounds like peroneal tendon subluxation! The part where you say popping over the laterral malleolus and pain going up your calf. The peroneal tendons originate off your peroneal muscles that are located on the lateral or outside lower leg. Tendons attach muscle to bone (ligaments bone to bone) and so one of the peroneal tendons, the short (brevis) one attaches to your 5th metatarsal. The long (longus) peroneal tendon goes under your foot and over and attaches to your first metatarsal underneath. So I can see where you would have pain there. I did too and still do because of knots all in my peroneal muscles from the injuries. You may have knots too. Look at about a 45 degree angle between your shin and your lateral lower leg and about 2-3 inches below your knee and see if anything is knotted up. PT is working hard on mine. They are so bad I can't cross that leg over my good leg because it hits one of those knots and radiates pain down into my ankle which I can't tolerate! Oh and you said you get pain with dorsiflexion. Also what the peroneals do. They dorsiflexion and evert (turn the foot out) the foot. The inversion pain is from your ligaments that haven't been repaired yet. Keep icing and elevating and definitely grill the PA Tues and/or ask to the see doctor! Let us know how it goes! I go back to the doctor Tues too!

footiefan25 08-25-2012 03:15 PM

I am trying to find some more information on peroneal tendon subluxation and was wondering if you guys could help me.

I tore my ATFL and CFL last April and have had pain since and have not been able to run. My peroneal tendon pops in and out when i move my ankle from inversion to eversion and back again. How much did your tendon pop out when it was subluxing? Did it completely dislocate and move over the malleous or did it just click in and out? Mine doesn't move all the way over but it does consistently pop in and out when i move it, it's easier to feel it with your fingers but you can see the tendon move behind the malleous. What other symptoms did you have? I have been to the doctor numerous times and had arthroscopy on my ankle for impingement from the injury but it still feels horrible. I don't want to look like a hypochondriac but I'm fed of the doctors not taking this as seriously as I would like as I want to be to normal asap as the soccer season has begun. I have already had two knee surgeries in my career (first was ACL, and second was meniscus which got stuck between the bones,) so I know a real injury when i have one and hate that it's being brushed off like it's nothing.

If anyone has any info/ symptoms or ways to tell that surgery is definitely necessary that would be great!! Thanks in advance