HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Transition to boot & PWB (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/902293-transition-boot-pwb.html)

augirl423 05-25-2012 06:24 AM

Transition to boot & PWB

Hi! First time posting... Four weeks ago, I had my first ankle surgery - peroneal tendon repair and tightrope procedure for a syndesmotic ligament tear. I've been NWB for four weeks and go back to the doctor this morning and will hopefully be PWB after that. In two weeks, I'm having a Brostrom procedure and this fun process will start all over again. I'm a bit anxious about transitioning to the boot today for PWB. Any recommendations to manage the pain?

joyful123 05-25-2012 11:41 AM

Re: Transition to boot & PWB

Just take it easy and take meds before you see the doctor. Keep the meds going faithfully and don't try to push it too hard, too soon. It is a long process. When I started bearing weight it was my heel that about drove me through the roof.....just slow and easy would be my recommendation...and continue to ice it as well.

augirl423 05-25-2012 11:55 AM

So we are completely skipping PWB and going to full. This makes me nervous, but the pain isn't horrible. It was really weird feeling at first - like pins & needles on the bottom of my foot, but that's better now. I am still using my crutches to help me out some. I am really impressed with how well my incision has healed since my last appointment. I came home & took a great bath, shaved & exfoliated my leg - felt SO good! Second surgery will likely be July 11th or close to that.

joyful123 05-25-2012 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=augirl423;4986730]So we are completely skipping PWB and going to full. This makes me nervous, but the pain isn't horrible. It was really weird feeling at first - like pins & needles on the bottom of my foot, but that's better now. I am still using my crutches to help me out some. I am really impressed with how well my incision has healed since my last appointment. I came home & took a great bath, shaved & exfoliated my leg - felt SO good! Second surgery will likely be July 11th or close to that.[/QUOTE]

Wow, be careful going to FWB so quickly...and definitely keep the crutches handy....the heel/bottom of foot was hard for me too at first. I'm glad your incisions is healing. I had the boot on after my surgery and it rubbed in the incision - they finally put me in something else, but it took that part of the incision longer to heal! And I know what you mean about the first bath! Amazing, huh? :)

augirl423 05-25-2012 12:10 PM

I was surprised he wanted me to go FWB. I kept saying "are you sure?" He was sure. I'm definitely going to take it VERY slowly. The bath was so amazing. I can't wait to take another one!!! :D

joyful123 05-25-2012 06:54 PM

Yes, the bath feels so good. I was staying with a friend and her shower/tub was upstairs, so I didn't get to take a shower every day.... was about every 3 days....and it always felt so good :)

Hollywood48 05-26-2012 12:06 AM

Welcome to the boards! There's a wealth of knowledge and a lot of friendly people on here to help you! A lot of us just went through the surfer you just had and the surgery you are about to have. I must ask why they didn't do the Brostrom at the same time they repaired your peroneal tendon and syndesmotic ligament? Is it on the other foot? I had a Brostrom-Gould, peroneal tendon repair and fibular groove deepening for peroneal tendon subluxation on 2/22/12 and I'm still in PT so I understand what you are going through. I was NWB in a cast for 6 wks and then went WBAT (weight bearing as tolerated) and it took me about 2 weeks to get rid of both crutches. Like JOYFUL, my main problem was my heel. It would light up with weight at first, but you get used to it. Then where my big toe and foot meet hurt a lot (still does hurt) and a cyst formed but has gone down a lot. Keep your crutches handy, don't go FWB too fast. Take it easy and take your meds if you need them. Oh and also like JOYFUL said, take meds before you go to the doctor. I took them before every visit until the last 2-3 and it helped a good bit with cast changes, boot, and the manipulations he does every time I go. Is the "au" in your name for Australia or a college like Auburn University if you don't mind me asking?

Hollywood48 05-26-2012 12:08 AM

Oh and yes, that first bath/shower where you can exfoliate, bathe, shave and lotion your leg is AMAZING!!!

augirl423 05-26-2012 01:57 PM

My tendon tear was so severe that he didn't feel like I could handle all of it at the same time. I wish he had been able to do it all because I'm not looking forward to going through this again! It's my right foot so still no driving. Last night was a little unnerving sleeping without the boot, but I survived it. I just rode down to the beach with my parents and have a bit of swelling (my once pretty, narrow foot looks like it belongs on Fred Flintstone right now). I'm going to go ice & elevate for a while. Any suggestions for the dry skin? My right leg looks like a molting snake right now!

AU is for Auburn University. :-)

sorefooted 05-26-2012 08:02 PM

wear the boot, don't push it. the boot can alleviste a lot of pain. good luck..

Hollywood48 05-27-2012 01:23 AM

Yes the boot can alleviate pain. Try Shea butter. As in 100% Shea butter you can get at a popular bath store! I used this on mine and it got it pretty moisturized pretty quickly! And wow about your tendon tear! I thought mine was bad! (The doctor told my husband that it was shredded!). Have fun at the beach! You're brave! And yes, I remember the Fred Flintstone days! My foot looked like that too and still does on days it swells a lot! Oh and I figured that was what the "au" was and all I have to say to that is War Eagle, All In! ;)

augirl423 05-27-2012 06:28 AM

I will get some Shea butter. :-) My tendon had a two inch long hole in the middle of it. He thought it was just going to have some micro tears so he was surprised. I am wearing the boot except when I'm laying on the couch or in bed so that is helping with the pain. Looks like I won't get to enjoy the beach though - TS Beryl has other ideas.

War Eagle to you!!! I'm so ready for football season... :cool:

Hollywood48 05-28-2012 01:22 AM

A 2" hole, wow! Guess neither of you were prepared for that huh? Ouch!! Yes try that Shea butter! I felt so much better after using it!! When is the next surgery? Sorry you wont be able to enjoy the beach! I can sympathize because I had my first ankle surgery in the summer. That and being on crutches in 95 degree weather was why I decided on a winter surgery this time! LOL! I am so ready for football season too!!

augirl423 05-28-2012 05:14 AM

I bought some Burt's Bees shea butter & Vitamin E lotion. It's wonderful! The second surgery probably will be July 11th. I don't want to forgo my vacation the last week of June. I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I can work from home so my time away from work was minimal and will hopefully be even shorter with the second surgery. Now that I'm FWB, it's nice to have some of my "freedom" back. But I sure do wish I could drive!! That is the most frustrating part of this whole thing.

joyful123 05-28-2012 06:59 AM

Yeah, I had surgery on my right foot, it was very frustrating. I am single and live alone, but thankfully I had stayed with a friend and her husband for five weeks. I also work at home frequently so I only missed two weeks of work and then they let me work at home for the next eight or nine weeks. It's still uncomfortable for me to drive to work as I'm an hour away from where I work, but it is getting better! Hang in there!