It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

Slillymom HB User
Talking One Week Post-op Brostrom

I'm 8 days post-op from my brostrom. I'm happy with the surgery so far. I haven't experienced much pain, so far. My pain was the worst on day 2 post-op. I sleep through the night and really don't need pain meds much at all. I've continued taking ibuprofen some, to help with inflammation, mostly. I was out and up for about 3 hours today. I didn't have much increase in my swelling. My ankle seemed a little more achy. My toes got really cold though. All in all the trip went well, but it did really tire me out. I came home and collapsed on the couch. I'm hoping this is a good sign I will be able to return to work in a week. I'm a nurse in a clinic and will use my knee walker to get around. I'm hoping if I can elevate between patients I can make this work. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm sure my discomfort and swelling will be increased once I'm weight bearing. I'm non-weight bearing in a cast for 3 more weeks and then will have a weight bearing walking cast for 3 additional weeks. I believe after that time I'll start PT. I'm hoping this goes well because I need to repeat the procedure on my right foot.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: One Week Post-op Brostrom

Yay! So glad you are doing so well! Yay for your first outing! Yes it will greatly tire you out! You may have this tired feeling for several weeks and if you do, it's normal, don't get discouraged. Your normal energy level will come back when your body is ready! Hopefully you'll be ready for work. You mentioning your knee walker and being a nurse reminded me that the day I had surgery when the nurse was wheeling me to my car, I saw another nurse sitting at a desk with a knee walker and it was hers! So it is doable I guess!! Keep us posted!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
Slillymom (05-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

Slillymom HB User
Smile Re: One Week Post-op Brostrom

I'm going crazy. I never leave socks on my feet and always kick my shoes off as soon as I can. I want to rip this cast off and FREE my foot. It doesn't hurt or itch really and just want it off. Hopefully the feeling passes. I'm feeling good after being out and about yesterday for a few hours. I was drained for a while, but recovered by late evening. I need to do a little more each day to prepare myself to return to work on June 6th. That way I can judge how my pain and swelling will be when I'm up working more. I'm feeling confident....if only I could saw this cast off....LOL. I bathed yesterday and duct taped a garbage bag over my leg. I couldn't tell if I had gotten any water in my cast. I tried blow drying into the cast some to make sure everything was dry.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: One Week Post-op Brostrom

I'm sorry you're having cast claustrophobia! I hear it stinks! Thankfully, it never bothered me and I even elected to have another one vs a boot I could take off for three more weeks! It will pass quicker than you think and hopefully you are just getting used to it! That's a good idea to do a little more each day to build up tolerance and see how much you can do. However, don't get too caught up in that because right now your foot needs a lot of rest, ice and elevation so you can get back! You're like me! You and your mind are already over this whole recovery thing and you just need your foot and ankle to get the memo! LOL!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
Slillymom (05-27-2012)
Closed Thread