It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

singitanyway HB User
question about my foot/ankle surgery

I was wondering if anyone could explain this surgery that I am going to have done on my foot/ankle. My surgeon said that my ankle is extremely loose and unstable, so he is going to tighten my tendons and do a few other things, I'm just not exactly sure what. He didn't explain it very well. I am going to ask him on Tuesday before surgery, but in the meantime does anyone know what he will be doing? the procedure is "left ankle arthrotomy with synovectomy and modified mcbride". I tried googling this, but didn't find much.
thank you for any help!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: question about my foot/ankle surgery

Hi and welcome to the boards! I'm sorry you aren't very clear on the surgery you are having on Tues. I would call the office tomorrow and see if you can get further explanation. If not, then definitely have it explained I'm full detail BEFORE you sign the consents. And yes, that is your right. If they try to get yo to sign before the doctor comes in to explain, don't do it. This will assure your doctor comes in to explain so you will sign the forms and get underway. As far as your ankle, it sounds like you have ligament laxity which is common. I just had my 2nd surgery for it on 2/22/12 from repeated ankle sprains. I had some other stuff done too. He will likely be tightening your ligaments instead of tendons, but may repair those as well. I'm not familiar with the modified McBride as I've had a modified Brostrom and a Brostrom-Gould (which is also a modification named after the doctor who invented it). I'm sorry I don't really have an answer for you. Maybe someone else does, BUT don't let that be in place of what your doctor tells you. You and s/he need to be on the same page and you need to speak with him on this and be sure you understand fully and have all questions answered before you consent. Good luck with your surgery and let us all know how it goes! There's a lot of recovery support on here! See you on the "other" side!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

singitanyway HB User

Thank you very much for the advice! I will definitely make sure he explains it before I go into surgery tomorrow. I guess I probably should have made sure I understood exactly what was going to happen earlier, but I didn't ask enough questions. whoops. It's making me a lot more nervous when I don't know what's going to happen!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

singitanyway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
Hi and welcome to the boards! I'm sorry you aren't very clear on the surgery you are having on Tues. I would call the office tomorrow and see if you can get further explanation. If not, then definitely have it explained I'm full detail BEFORE you sign the consents. And yes, that is your right. If they try to get yo to sign before the doctor comes in to explain, don't do it. This will assure your doctor comes in to explain so you will sign the forms and get underway. As far as your ankle, it sounds like you have ligament laxity which is common. I just had my 2nd surgery for it on 2/22/12 from repeated ankle sprains. I had some other stuff done too. He will likely be tightening your ligaments instead of tendons, but may repair those as well. I'm not familiar with the modified McBride as I've had a modified Brostrom and a Brostrom-Gould (which is also a modification named after the doctor who invented it). I'm sorry I don't really have an answer for you. Maybe someone else does, BUT don't let that be in place of what your doctor tells you. You and s/he need to be on the same page and you need to speak with him on this and be sure you understand fully and have all questions answered before you consent. Good luck with your surgery and let us all know how it goes! There's a lot of recovery support on here! See you on the "other" side!
so apparently the "modified mcbride" part that they had told me on the info was a typo! it was actually a modified Brostrom, like you talked about.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Ok I wondered because I had never heard of a modified McBride! LOL! Now Modified Brostrom I can talk about all day long unfortunately! How did your surgery go? What did the doctor say? How are you feeling? Keep your foot elevated and iced and stay on those pain meds every 4 hours (or whatever prescribed) around the clock for the first few days!! Set your alarm to wake you up at night! Let us know as soon as you are able how you are doing! This is where the support begins for you because you will have a lot of questions! We all did and do!

Closed Thread