HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Brostrom Surgery in 13 days (I am scared) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/902849-brostrom-surgery-13-days-i-am-scared.html)

notsohappyfeet 05-29-2012 06:14 PM

Brostrom Surgery in 13 days (I am scared)

This is not my first rodeo in foot/ankle surgery, but this time my Husband will not be here and I will nwb for a while. I have a friend that will be staying with me so that is a plus but I also have to little boys ages 5.5 and almost 3. I am afraid they will hit it or cause more pain.

I am most scared about being on crutches because I just had a rotator cuff repair 6.5 months ago and my shoulder gets sore kind of fast.

Lastly can I get some tips on house preperations and other things that will make life more ummm comfortable.

Thanks

sjb 05-29-2012 06:21 PM

Re: Brostrom Surgery in 13 days (I am scared)

Hi there. I hope a 5 star review surgeon is chosen since sometimes people end up worse. I wish the best.

Hollywood48 05-30-2012 12:04 AM

Yeah, I'm not so sure what that was about either. Anyway, I can totally understand you being scared! It will be different than the first time around since you won't have full-time help and the kids are small. Obviously I don't know your kids, but they are old enough for you to explain to them that mommy will have a major boo-boo and how much it will hurt if they touch it right? As ar as house tips: work out plans for the kids now such as who will handle what (feeding, activities, bathing, etc), plan ahead for meals whether you make things ahead of time to freeze or have friends, family, church sign up to being you meals. If someone offers, say thank you and TAKE THEM UP ON IT!! Make sure you have a shower chair, cast cover for showering, steerable knee walker with ability to attach a basket and/or drink holder, cast sleeperz, extra pillows for elevating, night lights that are motion sensored for those nighttime bathroom trips, any throw rugs or cords-remove them as they are crutch hazards, make arrangements for pets on how they will be fed, figure out your primary areas (mine were couch and bed) and organize supplies for those areas like computer, phone, remotes, cell phone, iPod/iPad, e-reader or books, chapstick, lotion, meds, etc. Borrow or buy or load up books to read on e-reader, rent movies, save up DVR, queue up Hulu or Netflix. Which foot is it? If its your right foot (or your left while still on pain meds), figure out who will take you to your doctor appts. Get a backpack or purse that will go over your head and shoulder that will hold only what you need. That's all I can think of right now, but I will probably think of more. Also check out the sticky thread at the top called Tips for coping while NWB!

joyful123 06-01-2012 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=notsohappyfeet;4989145]This is not my first rodeo in foot/ankle surgery, but this time my Husband will not be here and I will nwb for a while. I have a friend that will be staying with me so that is a plus but I also have to little boys ages 5.5 and almost 3. I am afraid they will hit it or cause more pain.

I am most scared about being on crutches because I just had a rotator cuff repair 6.5 months ago and my shoulder gets sore kind of fast.

Lastly can I get some tips on house preperations and other things that will make life more ummm comfortable.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I agree with Hollywood about meals, setting things up, a shower chair is a must and a knee roller if you can borrow or purchase one. There is a link for non weight bearing & how to prepare for it: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-problems/737812-tactics-coping-while-non-weight-bearing-after-foot-surgery.html

It can be scary and discouraging - but just face it one step(no pun intended) at a time. Stay ahead of your meds and ice it as much as possible/elevate it. Good luck!

I had a modified brostrom and peronaral(sp?) tendon repair on 2/22/12 as well as some torn muscle cut out of my leg.