It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
(female)

singitanyway HB User
Brostrom procedure earlier today

I had a modifed Brostrom surgery earlier today. I was given a splint with half a hard cast, wrapped in an ace bandage. It hasn't been hurting too bad, as long as I keep up with the pain meds (which are making me super sleepy!). I didn't have a nerve block, but the pain is okay...better than I expected! (: I was wondering though if it's normal for my toes to be a little numb? I can move them (though it hurts) but when I touch them, they're pretty numb. Could this be because the wrap is too tight? or is this normal? like I said, I didn't have a nerve block, so I wasn't expecting much numbness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Brostrom procedure earlier today

Sorry I didn't see this post before I responded to the other. Glad you are now on this side and the pain isn't too bad. Key to that is t keep your foot elevated, iced (ice the splint and/or put ice behind your knee), and stay on top of the pain meds for the first few days. I also had a hard cast splint held together with ACE wraps. That is to allow for swelling. As far as your toes being numb...I wish more doctors would explain this before surgery because it's a very normal part of this surgery, but it is very abnormal to the patient to wake up to numb toes when they weren't expecting it! During the surgery, they move your sural nerve to avoid it during surgery (you can look up sural nerve). Its pathway is your lateral foot in front of the ankle and up to your 4th and 5th toes. These areas will be completely numb for about 3 months and then they will wake up and fire (so they may at times be painful) and then should be completely back to normal at around 6 months. After my first Brostrom, they were just numb and returned to normal at 6 months, no pain, no firing. This time (I'm 3 months out from my 2nd Brostrom-Gould), they were numb until about 2 weeks ago when they started to wake up and now they hurt and they fire. My dog putting his wet nose on it will light me up, but it was 2 seconds and over. So that's what's going on with your toes! Let me know if you have any other question! Keep elevated and iced!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
(female)

singitanyway HB User

that makes so much more sense now! I was worried that it wasn't normal, so I just thought I'd check. thanks! as for the icing and elevating, that's all I did yesterday and I'm glad because it keeps the pain down pretty well with the meds. I was planning on going downtown for a concert on Friday, but I'm almost positive that will not be happening now. I underestimated the surgery going in...I can't imagine going that long with my foot not elevated already! It hurts to put it down just to get up and go into the bathroom. I also didn't realize how big the splint would be! I'll definitely have to stick to wearing sweatpants until I get the cast in two weeks .
as for the cast, my doctor said that in two weeks I'll get a walking cast, and I'll be able to put weight on it. Is this really the case? two weeks seems way too early to me...though I am just 2 days in to this, so who knows.
thank you for your advice! it's nice to hear from someone who's been through this already . hope your recovery is going well!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Thanks! It is going well for the most part...WAY better than my first time! Yeah probably not so much on the concert on Friday. I think you'd be in way too much pain! There was NO way I could've gone to a concert that soon after either of mine! As far as the weight bearing in 2 weeks... That's a great question. Most people and apparently textbook plan is a cast and boot combo for 6 weeks and NWB for 6 wks. However, some doctors are more aggressive. The first time I was only in a cast for 2 1/2 weeks and on crutches for 3-4 and back at work full time (in the ICU, I'm an RN). This was way too early and I had a lot of issues with it. This time I was in a hard cast and NWB for 6 wks and then moved to the boot and was totally off crutches at 8 weeks. This recovery has been SO much better!! So as for your 2 weeks...there are a couple of other people on here that were told they would be weight bearing at 2 weeks and they found that to be just about impossible. JOYFUL had surgery the same day I did (2/22/12 and almost same procedure) and was told weight bearing at 2 weeks, but I dont think she was really able to do that till 5-6, but I can't remember. Hopefully she will comment on this. My suggestion is see how it goes at 2 weeks after you get doctor's orders to be weight bearing and if there's no way, then tell your doctor. I personally feel its way too early. I can honestly say I wouldn't be able to!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
(female)

singitanyway HB User

I'm glad yours is going well!
I thought that 2 weeks seemed way too soon too! the PA I talked to to schedule my surgery told me to expect to be NWB for 6-8 weeks, which seemed a lot more reasonable to me. I guess the doctor and her don't quite agree on that issue. the PA said she's going to be the one putting my cast on and taking the stitches out...I'll ask her about the two week thing then!
thank you for all of your help! I really appreciate it (:

Old 05-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
(female)

dmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB User

I was given clearance for WB at 10 days. I started with PWB and with in a few days I was able to WB w/o problems but the cast was uncomfortable to walk on for long distances.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
(female)

singitanyway HB User

okay, cool. maybe I will be able to...I guess I'll just have to see!
Today I'm getting frustrated because I live in a tri-level house. In order to leave my room (where theirs no TV and not much to do), I have to go down two flights of stairs to get to the couch. and then back up to my room at night. I'm not the most coordinated person, especially on crutches. So when I was going back upstairs tonight, I tripped on the stairs and accidentally put a fair amount of weight on my bad foot. I'm hoping I didn't do any actual damage (I don't think it was a bad enough fall for that) but it hurts a LOT more now!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah the PA sounds like she knows what it's like either because she's gone through something like this or because she is the one doing all the cast changes and suture removals and sees more of what it's like for the patient. It's like us nurses know way more about how things are with the patient because we are there all the time doing the cast changes or the meds or suture removals, etc while the doctors breeze in and out with orders! Either way, you'll just have to wait to see how you are doing at 2 weeks. As far as your house...if everything like the couch, tv, kitchen, bathroom are on a different level than your bedroom, can you sleep on the couch for a while to minimize strain on your body and risk of further injury?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
(female)

singitanyway HB User

the PA definitely seemed to have a lot better understanding than the doctor!
After last night, I decided to sleep on the couch for the time being. My bedroom, the kitchen, and the couch/tv are all on different floors in my house, which is very inconvenient. But thankfully I still live with my parents (I'm 19), and they are able to help me with getting food and stuff like that. So staying on the couch is the best option!
how long should I expect to ice and elevate my foot? The doc didn't talk to me after surgery, just to my grandparents while I was still asleep, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Sorry I have so many questions!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
Thanks! It is going well for the most part...WAY better than my first time! Yeah probably not so much on the concert on Friday. I think you'd be in way too much pain! There was NO way I could've gone to a concert that soon after either of mine! As far as the weight bearing in 2 weeks... That's a great question. Most people and apparently textbook plan is a cast and boot combo for 6 weeks and NWB for 6 wks. However, some doctors are more aggressive. The first time I was only in a cast for 2 1/2 weeks and on crutches for 3-4 and back at work full time (in the ICU, I'm an RN). This was way too early and I had a lot of issues with it. This time I was in a hard cast and NWB for 6 wks and then moved to the boot and was totally off crutches at 8 weeks. This recovery has been SO much better!! So as for your 2 weeks...there are a couple of other people on here that were told they would be weight bearing at 2 weeks and they found that to be just about impossible. JOYFUL had surgery the same day I did (2/22/12 and almost same procedure) and was told weight bearing at 2 weeks, but I dont think she was really able to do that till 5-6, but I can't remember. Hopefully she will comment on this. My suggestion is see how it goes at 2 weeks after you get doctor's orders to be weight bearing and if there's no way, then tell your doctor. I personally feel its way too early. I can honestly say I wouldn't be able to!
Hi! Yes I was told weight bearing after two weeks - but didn't actually accomplish that until week 6 or so. It was a very slow and painful recovery for me...so don't push it too quickly too soon. I was on crutches for about 7 or 8 weeks. After going through the surgery - I must confess I agree with Hollywood - 2 weeks is way too soon to be weight bearing - but that was my personal experience with it. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

You should expect to ice and elevate your foot for a while. I'm 13 or 14 weeks out from surgery and I'm still having swelling and pain therefore still needing to ice and elevate at the end of the day. My doctor says another 6 months before I'm completely pain free. I remember after my last surgery, my swelling lasted for several months after surgery and of course, the more you do and the more you're on it, the more it will swell. As far as right now, you should keep it elevated the better part of 2 weeks. After then, you can let pain be your guide as to how much your leg is down. I mean, not 24/7, I would go somewhere every 3 days or so to get out, but would elevate in the car and then when I got home because I would be in pain. Another good rule of thumb is anytime you're sitting or lying down, elevate. You will start to notice when it doesn't swell as much even it's down or when it doesn't hurt to have it down. Let pain be your guide. Good call on sleeping on the couch and being near everything! Glad you have your parents to help. Oh and don't worry about too many questions! Ask away, that's what we're here for!! Hope you arent hurting too bad!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
(female)

keri15 HB User

I feel for ya!! I just had a modified brostrom repair for my ATFL and CFL with debreedment and peroneal tendon shortening. I am just went from my surgical cast yesterday to a new hard cast. I am NWB for 5 more weeks then I get to move to a boot with partial WB. I am also not working for the 5 weeks I am in a cast so my life has come to a stop it seems.

How are you doing with pain management? I am having a lot of problems getting mine under control.

Last edited by keri15; 06-02-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
(female)

singitanyway HB User

If I take as much percocet as was prescribed, the pain is manageable, not too bad at all. But I have been taking half of that, just because I hate the way it makes me feel! It makes me super tired and out of it. If I take half of what he prescribed, it does hurt, but icing helps a little!
I sat outside for about an hour today without it elevated, and decided I wouldn't be doing that for a while. It hurts pretty badly tonight! I guess I just need to listen and be more patient, which is difficult for me. But I'm going to have to! (:
I hope your pain gets better, Keri!
I'm really hoping I'm okay to start work in a week. I took a job as a nanny for the summer. If necessary, I'll still be able to watch the kids and elevate my foot (they're 5 and 7). The family is really understanding and doesn't mind if I have to sit a lot! If I can't handle it, there is someone who can take the job instead. I'm just hoping I'll be better by then!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

My advice to both of you from someone who's been through your surgery twice now (and still in recovery from the 2nd) is to take the prescribed pain meds to get you through the initial pain. I hate the way pain meds make me feel too, but I hate the pain worse and it delays healing, puts more stress on your body. You don't have to do it the whole time you need pain meds (I certainly don't do that now), but for a while I took 2 percocet every 4 hours around the clock. Set my alarm and all and my pain was manageable. I did this because no one told me to do that the first surgery and the pain was terrible because I had gotten behind. Getting ahead of it again is hard! As an RN, we always tell our patients to stay ahead of the pain. Don't wait until you're in pain to take the meds. That's too late. Almost kinda like don't wait to drink until your thirsty when in the sun, you're already dehydrated at that point. Being preventive and proactive makes post surgical recovery much easier and more pleasant. I hope you both get it under control! SINGITANYWAY--You are on Percocet every 4 hours? What strength? KERI15--What are you taking? Why did they shorten your peroneal tendon if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
(female)

singitanyway HB User

well another reason I didn't like the percocet is because it made me really nauseous and sick. I was having difficulty keeping any food down when I was taking two, which just made me even more nauseous since you're supposed to have something in your stomach when you take it. It also made it hard to keep the meds down, so it hurt worse. It's better when I only take one pill, instead of two (I honestly don't remember the dosage right now, I don't have the bottle next to me, sorry!).
I called the office though and they are prescribing me something that will help with the nausea. Someone is picking that up for me later today. Once I get that, I'll start taking the full dose. I'm hoping it works, because the pain definitely isn't going away like this.

Closed Thread