It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

marble94 HB Usermarble94 HB Usermarble94 HB User
Unhappy 8 weeks post pttd PWB

I am now 8 weeks post fdl transfer/calcaneus Osteotomy. I am pwb and have started pt. I am glad for pt, started some easy rom excersises and hip strengthening. I am not back to work yet. I return in 2 more weeks, I have a sedentary job.

I am very nervous about weight bearing. My surgeon said that he made the tendon tight. I can't even get my heal positioned in the cam boot correctly yet. My heal does not rest in the bottom of the boot. I am supposed to increase weight bearing by 25% per week. I don't see how that can happen. When I rest my foot on the ground it feels like there is a ball under my heal. I guess pt will help with that.

I have been having issues with even wanting out of my house. I have stairs that I have to deal with and they are exhausting. I pretty much stay upstairs in my house (no bathroom on the first floor).

I am curious how progress has been for others that have had the surgery. I have questioned myself asking why I had this done. The simple answer is I was in pain, the tendon had 2 tears in it, and it was only going to get worse.

I know I have to be patient, I have a good support system.

Last edited by marble94; 05-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
(male)

RollTide09 HB User
Re: 8 weeks post pttd PWB

Hi, I am 13 weeks post op for PTTD with Achilles Tendon lengthening.
I too had similar issues. The PT does help. I found I had to be very vocal and upfront with my therapist. He did alter the therapy from what we had begun with. If your PT gave you exercises to do at home do them religiously. It will hurt but long term it will make all the difference. I too was second guessing my decision of surgery. Looking back on it now I know I made the right decision.
Hang in there and keep on plugging at it. It will pay off.

The Following User Says Thank You to RollTide09 For This Useful Post:
marble94 (05-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
(female)

It is good knowing I am not alone. At 13 weeks are you full weight bearing? I am so scared of putting weight on my foot. It just does not seem possible yet. My therapist is very good. She not only gives me the excersise but watches to see how I am tolerating it. She will change what we are doing as needed. I am doing the home excersises and you are right they hurt. It will get better, I need to stay positive.

Thank you.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
(female)

It is good knowing I am not alone. At 13 weeks are you full weight bearing? I am so scared of putting weight on my foot. It just does not seem possible yet. My therapist is very good. She not only gives me the excersise but watches to see how I am tolerating it. She will change what we are doing as needed. I am doing the home excersises and you are right they hurt. It will get better, I need to stay positive.

Thank you.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I am 12 weeks post op for the same surgery, my PTTD was caused from a 10 foot fall at work.
Hang in there with the pwb, it's scary at first but gets easier. I was given the thumbs up to PWB at 9 weeks post op, and my OS told me to increase my weight bearing 10 lbs each day. 10 lbs is barely any weight at all and basically gets your foot used to the feel of the ground again. You can use a scale to estimate how much weight to bear, and your arms should be carrying most of the weight at this point. Maybe this method would work for you, mention it to your therapist.
Your heel may feel like its not in the boot all the way, but it probably actually is. My Surgeon warned m about that. It is caused by the numbness caused by the surgery and agrivating the nerves in the foot. Have your PT help you walk correctly on your crutches and you should be fine. Sounds like you are on track with the rest of us. I saw my OS today and I'm still not cleared to FWB yet, but I'm putting allot more weight on my surgery foot with crutches still. I can't wait to be able to walk without them! He says probably 2 more weeks untill my osteotomy completely heals.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I also wanted to encourage you about the lack of energy and not wanting to leave the house. I have really been struggling with my energy level after my surgery. I keep complaining to the surgeon, and he says that it's because I have been so sedentary. That will come back in time, up to 6 months he told me.
I moved my bedroom downstairs so I didn't have to deal with stairs post surgery. When I do stairs I crawl up and down kneeling on my surgery knee and walking myself with the good foot. After some practice it isn't too bad. I absolutely can't go down on crutches, I freeze up.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
(female)

Planemark, I appreciate all of your information. It really does make me feel less alone. I was caught off guard by the amount of pain, length of recovery, and loneliness of this surgery. Yes my surgeon quoted all the numbers but in my previous surgeries I have been up an around in no time. This one is going to be by the books it seems. And the loneliness is that no one around had had a surgery like this so no one understands.

I thought of moving my room to the first floor but have no bathroom on that level of the house. My husband had been wonderful. He makes sure I have everything i need before he goes to work.

I have gotten better on the stairs but they can be so exhausting I am shaking by the time I am up them. My husband and/or son will stay behind me to keep an eye on me. I do have a great support system. Yet it is good to know hear from others going through the same thing.

Thank you!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
(female)

Planemark, I appreciate all of your information. It really does make me feel less alone. I was caught off guard by the amount of pain, length of recovery, and loneliness of this surgery. Yes my surgeon quoted all the numbers but in my previous surgeries I have been up an around in no time. This one is going to be by the books it seems. And the loneliness is that no one around had had a surgery like this so no one understands.

I thought of moving my room to the first floor but have no bathroom on that level of the house. My husband had been wonderful. He makes sure I have everything i need before he goes to work.

I have gotten better on the stairs but they can be so exhausting I am shaking by the time I am up them. My husband and/or son will stay behind me to keep an eye on me. I do have a great support system. Yet it is good to know hear from others going through the same thing.

Thank you!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Hang in there! It seemed like it took me forever to feel comfortable walking on my foot and transitioning from pwb to full wb. Crutches made me very nervous as I always though I was gonna fall especially going up and down stairs. Over a year later I still can't do stairs very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
marble94 (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Tomorrow marks my one year anniversary of my surgery. I was nwb 9 weeks, couldn't drive til 14 weeks and b/c of the amount of standing/walking my job entails, wasn't completely free of the boot for over 5 months. I,too, wondered just after my surgery, what I had gotten myself into. Since I live alone, I spent a week in a subacute rehab center, then went home with a walker and knee scooter b/c I couldn't handle crutches for several more weeks. Today I am doing great and very grateful that I had the surgery done. Hang in there!
Bunnie

The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
marble94 (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User

I am just over two weeks out from the surgery - and have felt a bit better in the past few days. I can't say there's no pain of course, but my energy level seems to be getting better. I have been doing my utmost to keep a positive attitude, but at the same time if I need to cry in frustration I go ahead and cry! Both approaches seem to make me feel better so that's what I am going with, lol.

I have been through a similar recovery before but not with the heel being involved, so I am finding that the hardest thing to deal with, and I can't really imagine how it will feel to put weight on it again. The bottom of the cast I am in is HUGE and flat so I do rest my foot on the floor at times. Doesn't seem to bother it at all so far.

It is so great to have other people to communicate with who have been or are going through this.

The Following User Says Thank You to ljturner For This Useful Post:
marble94 (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
(female)

I agree, having the boards and being able to compare experiences has been very helpful. It makes me realize I am not alone in my journey. I appreciate all of the feedback and encouragement.

I hope your recovery goes well.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
(male)

I totally agree too! I am so grateful for this site an all the support! When my OS told me that I needed surgery I broke down and cried in front of the Dr and my workers comp caseworker, I was so embarrassed. I think it was a combo of dealing with fighting workers comp to get my foot checked in the first place and fear of the surgery itself. I'm so glad I was able to read about other peoples experiences on here and what to expect. I think I may have chickened out had it not been for the stories of all the courageous people who had the surgery before me. Everyone here has been so nice and encouraging!

Closed Thread