It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
(male)

Bob432 HB User
hallux rigidus "victim", Both feet

Hi, all.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and others on this site. I wish I had come upon the site earlier, as there's lots of good stuff here for those of us with "foot problems".

I'm 62.5 years old, live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and participate in a great deal of outdoor sports. Unfortunately, I'm also a hallux rigidus "victim". Both feet.

Six years ago, I had a chilectomy on my right big toe and that turned out to be very successful. That toe has worked well for since the surgery and I've been very happy with the results. The left big toe, however, became very painful over the last two years. The osteophytes ended up growing to a point where it displaced the second toe joint and tore the plantar plate under that toe. Based on all that, I was advised to have a fusion of the big toe and a Weil osteotomy of the second toe.

I'm now four weeks post-op from the fusion of the big toe and osteotomy of the second toe. Just to summarize, I had the surgeries done on May 2 at Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado. So far, everything seems to be going according to plan. I'm still wearing a boot and using a single crutch. It still gets a little swollen and stiff when I'm up and running around, but ice and elevation take care of that very well.

Things feel pretty good right now and I'm looking forward to my final follow-up appointment on June 18. At that point, the doc is going to decide whether I can do some very low-impact skiing on my "new" foot on June 30. That's my goal, so we'll see if it happens.

Anyway, thanks for all the info on this site and I'll report back on my progress as the weeks go by.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-01-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread