It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

Fenn11 HB UserFenn11 HB User
Question Pain from PWB

Im hoping someone can help. I started pwb in my boot 7 weeks post op (all-American flat foot reconstruction, Achilles tendon lengthening and bunionectomy (Lapidus procedure). Before surgery one of the places I had pain was on the outside of my ankle/foot, just slightly above & forward of the bone that sticks out a little (the one that hurts so badly if you hit it!)

The weight bearing was going fine, started at 50 pounds for 2 days, up to 75 for 2 days then up to 100. That's when the pain started again in that spot. When I stretch in the morning that spot would hurt. When I wiggled my pinky toe out to the outside that spot would hurt and when I put weight on my foot walking it would hurt, but I think usually only if I'd been resting my boot on the floor for a while, like if I was sitting at my desk without it up. Twice at the 125 pound weight level I got shooting pain down the top of my foot briefly from that spot that hurts.

I called my doctors office and his assistant told me to back off the weight bearing and call back in 2 days to see if I needed to go in. I backed off to the point of almost no weight, and it's better, though if I rest my foot on the ground for too long, even sitting, I get some pain again. I called my doc yesterday and left a message but didn't get a call back.

I'm worried because its in a spot I had pre-surgery pain, but it's also right above one of my incisions and appears to be in the area where they put in a screw. I'm hoping it's either just irritation from the screw or maybe from scar tissue. Has anyone else experienced this or do you have any thoughts? I was supposed to be feb as of Rhursday or yesterday but I'm probably back to around 50 or maybe 75 simply out of fear.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Pain from PWB

I am almost two years post flat foot surgery. If memory serves me, as I increased the weight on the foot, I got twinges and all. If you are concerned, you may want to just weight bear to the point that pain is not a real issue until you talk to the doctor again. It took close to a year before the twinges stopped. Even now, If I dont stretch several times a week, my achillese tendon and heel gets real tight. As long as I stretch, I am a happy camper and able to go about my day without worrying about my foot

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
Fenn11 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User
Re: Pain from PWB

Fenn, I too had the same procedure as you except the Achilles tendon lengthening, my OS decided not to do it while in OR. I am 12 weeks post op and I was cleared to PWB 3 weeks ago. My OS had me slowly increase the weight only 10 lbs per day. I was also warned by him and PT to back off or stop weight bearing if it was too much pain. At first i was having pain in my inner arch and above the incissions When I complained about the pain I was told that it is the Post tib tendon that he repaired and it is still real tight. I can feel how tight it is by the end of the day and I end up icing it and elevating it to help relieve some of the pain. You also might want to take an anti inflamitory like advill or Tylenol.
Maybe you can use your knee scooter or go to non weight bearing for a couple days untill it feels better and you can slowly start PWB again. I have learned that you really have to listen to your body as you recover from this. Hang in there and good luck!

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

The following user gives a hug of support to planemark:
Fenn11 (06-04-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post:
Fenn11 (06-02-2012)
Closed Thread