It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

NJmel HB User
removal of stitches?

So I had my stitches removed on Friday from my arch of my foot. Long story short I had a procedure for PF. A little incinsion was made like a small paper cut. Anyway as time went on a blister formed than an open wound. They stitched me for 21 days. The dr. said it looked good, but there was a scab. The next morning after the shower the scab fell off, and it's all white, like puss or something, and it's still not closed. My question is, is it still just trying to heal? I understand where the wound is it's hard to heal, but I have been in a boot for 4 weeks, stitches for 3, and have been using crutches. I don't understand why it's still not closed. I'm going to call the dr. tomorrow. Any thoughts??

The Following User Says Thank You to NJmel For This Useful Post:
Aging Fast (06-06-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: removal of stitches?

Yes call the doctor tomorrow and get seen. You said there's puss in it so sounds like there's an infection. If thats the case, you will most likely need antibiotics and sometimes they will have you pack the wound to help it heal and close. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
(female)

NJmel HB User

Thank you Hollywood. I was an antiobotics for 14 days. I'm so frustrated with this. Like I said it was a little incision, and it has turned into this whole ordeal. I'm still in a bit of pain, which I'm concerned about. I swear this has been tougher than my three knee surgeries, hernia surgery, and a c-section. Lol...

Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Oh I didn't realize you were already on antibiotics. Maybe you need a different one or a stronger one? Wonder if is a wound they could pack with either saline wet to dry or kerlix or antibiotic soaked gauze stuff? Anyway, did you call the doctor?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
(female)

NJmel HB User

Callled the doctor. Of course they want to see me, couldn't get in until today. A family emergency with my MIL yesterday so I will see her this morning. Now today it looks like it's trying to scab up. I don't know I need to stop being a dr., and let them do their job, but it's so tough. I've been through a lot of medical stuff over the years so I always do my research, and ask lots of questions.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

There's no problem with doing research and being an informed patient, therefore a self advocate. What did the doctor say?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
(female)

NJmel HB User

She did not like what she saw. Obviously three weeks of stitches did not close the wound. So she wants me to go get an MRI. She would also like to do surgery to clean out the wound, etc....Right now it's a little wound, my thinking is it then would become so much bigger after the surgery, and I'm already having a problem with closing this little wound. Plus I have a two year old with no help during the day so surgery right now is kind of out of the question. So many people think I might be diabetic or something with my diet, etc...I have another appt. with another dr. for a second opinion, and will make another appt. with an internist also. I'm so upset, and just want to get better for the summer. This has been going on for 6 weeks now.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know, I'm so sorry! It stinks! You may need to undergo testing for diabetes. Do you have a family history? As far as your wound, I imagine the surgery she wants to do is an I&D or incision and debridement. This washes out the wound and the infection and then the wound is sewn up and sometimes packed to help it heal. It *should* close up at that point (probably will get IV antibiotics in surgery and then go home on oral abx) unless you have healing issues such as diabetes. I know this is a bad time for you (when is it EVER good ya know, ugh!) but it's very important that you take care of an infected area ASAP so it doesn't lead to much worse stuff!! Get a 2nd opinion to be sure and definitely see your internist for a physical and lab work up. Good luck and I am SO sorry!!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
(female)

NJmel HB User

Went to my internist today. Called and got my MRI report, and no sign of an abscess. He said it's just infected and gave me more antiobotics to take 4x a day for 2 weeks. He said not to get have an I & D. One more opinion this weekend w another pod. So we will go from there. It's like getting all these opinions starts to confuse you into who is right. Doesn't think I have diabetes, nobody in my family does either.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well that's good news!! The opinions do start to confuse you. That's why it's probably best to not get more than 2 besides the original or 3 total so you have a tie breaker and don't get really confused. If you don't have an abscess then there's not much need for a I&D. So that's good news in itself but especially with your current situation.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
(female)

NJmel HB User

Went to the second pod. today. He said it's really infected so he cleaned it out. Wow did that hurt. I have had ingrown toenails before so I know the pain. But it feels a little better. Plus he gave me another antiobotic to take with the another I was prescribed, plus to soak, and use a cream on the wound. He also said to walk on it. No I & D, and he doesn't know why they stitched me up when I had an infection. So I feel more confident with this doctor. Crossing my fingers, though.....

Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes this doctor sounds like he is on the ball! What he says and prescribed makes sense and I hope you heal with this!!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
(female)

NJmel HB User

Thanks, i really hope this works. We had a crazy weekend so my foot is a little sore today. It feels better at times, than hurts again. The wound still doesn't look great, but i guess I just have to give it time. It's just so frustrating since it's almost been 7 weeks since this all began, and two months since I had the procedure.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know it has to be frustrating. Hang in there! What does the wound look like? Can you describe it?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
(female)

NJmel HB User

It's really not that big of a wound, but deep. Probably a little bigger than a pee. There still looks like there is some puss in there, but i soak twice a day. Some of it comes out then, and I dab the wound with a gauze pad trying to get some more of it. The rest of the wound looks clear like you can see the tissues, I guess. It is red/pinkish around the wound. When I first wake up there is no pain but as the day goes on pain starts, and then subsides at times.

Closed Thread