It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

keri15 HB User
I fell in the hallway 1 week post op :(

Last tuesday (May 29th) I had a Modified-Brostrom and a peroneal tendon shortened on my left foot/ankle. Last night after having dinner with my parents, I was on my way down the hallway in my apartment when my right leg cramped up mid stride on my crutches. And down I went! I (stupidly) put my left foot down to "catch" myself. [It is in a hard cast with NWB for the next 5 weeks] I also face planted into the wall on my way down. Needless to say, I was in a LOT of pain. I felt a 'pop' when I put my foot down. Do I need to call my Dr? It is definitely more sore today.

I am taking my Norco around the clock today, I was fine for the most part for the past couple of days. I don't like taking the pain pills at all.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User
Re: I fell in the hallway 1 week post op :(

I would definitely call the doctor, esp since you heard the "pop".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I agree with JOYFUL. Call the doctor since you heard a pop. The cast probably did its job, but the pop is concerning. I fell when my crutch slipped,out and I did the same thing you did, put weight on my casted foot. It was week 3. It hurt a lot and I had to increase the pain meds. But I didn't have a pop. So get it checked out and let us know!! I'm so sorry you fell and are in so much pain!!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

keri15 HB User

I called the doctors office this morning and I have an appointment with them tomorrow morning to check it all out. I increased my meds a little bit. It is still quite painful. The problem is the Vicodin doesn't make me tired it just makes me fuzzy brained. I would rather sleep this all off.

I will let you know how it goes. Thank you.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Good luck! I know how uncomfortable it can be. Try to stay off your feet and keep it elevated as much as possible. I think you are in a hard cast, correct? Try putting some ice under your knee to see if that will help alleviate some of the pain. I was also taking vicodin and in between those doses I was taking 600 mg of Motrin. Might want to try that and see if it helps any. Keep us posted and hang in there!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

keri15 HB User

Thank you, I have it up and I have Ice on the top of my calf. I am in a hard cast (hot pink) and actually broke the bottom of the cast when I fell, if that tells you how hard I came down.

I am on Norco actually, which is Vicodin and ibuprofen together. My mom is here, has me on a strict regimen of Norco and Advil.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Oh wow! You broke the bottom of the cast AND heard a pop and have increased pain? So glad you have an appt to get it checked out. Glad your mom is there to help! Let us know what the doc says! I'm jealous of your hot pink cast! All my doc had was that bright fluorescent pink which is too bright for me for a whole cast so I got a purple cast with pink cuffs at the top and at the toes and then put a pink monogram on it!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
(female)

keri15 HB User

Sorry for the delay in my response. My follow up was not as good as I had hoped it was. I didn't break anything (bone wise) but when I fell I did some damage. We are not sure to what extent yet. But they cut the cast off to X-ray it and check the incision. When my doctor went to put my foot back to a 90º there was a pretty nasty CRUNCH. It is concerning to him and me. It was painful. I am also having a lot of nerve pain too. I got a new cast and NWB until July 6th at my next appointment. I did find out that when he did my repair he used cadaver tissue to repair my ATFL and CFL because my tissue was not viable.

Then night after my new cast and doctor appointment I was having dinner with my family and some of my friends when I got an instant fever, chills, nausea and severe pain in my chest. I am so glad my mom is an RN, they rushed me to the hospital. (only 1.5 miles away) I had thrown a blood clot. So, after a VERY "fun" 3 days in the hospital on blood thinners and little to no rest with nurses and doctors checking in on me I was released to go home. I am now in Texas with my parents (I live in Chicago!) and being pampered.

I hope the rest of my recovery is more UNeventful!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh wow, you've been through it girlie! So sorry! So glad your mom is an RN too because most people would've dismissed that and that would've been bad! I'm sorry you did damage to your foot. I hope the crunch sound wasn't a broken bone! I know you said no broken bones, but then you said there was a crunch. Where did you feel the crunch? I assume they will re-X-ray next visit? What color cast did you get this time?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

I am SO sorry! Wow, not a great way to start recovery!!! I am glad your mom is a nurse and that she was with you. I also hope that the rest of your recovery is uneventful! YIKES

Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
(female)

keri15 HB User

The crunch was in my ankle when he manipulated it to the 90 deg angle. I am just hoping the repair is still intact. I think the next appointment will be a MRI if there is still concern.

Cast color this time was.... BRIGHT TRAFFIC CONE ORANGE!! My friend even drew a traffic cone on the back of my leg to warn everyone about my "gracefulness"

Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope your repair is still intact too and that you won't need an MRI! Ouch on the crunch! My doctor manipulated my ankle several times as well as the different times I had to be pushed into 90 degrees. It hurts! Thankfully no crunch on my end though. Love the orange and hysterical about the caution cone your friend drew on your cast! Was the caution cone your inspiration to choose orange?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
(female)

keri15 HB User

So far I am in week 4 of my boot!! I got my cast off on July 6th. I am also in week 3 of PT with light range of motion. Things are going well and I don't think I damaged my repair when I fell.

And yes, the traffic cone was the inspiration for the bright orange cast.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's great! So glad you are doing well and you didn't mess up your repair! I didn't think you had. I hope it continues to heal fast!!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

oh my gosh. I partially fell my 2nd night at home from surgury. I was trying to get to the bedside potty and got off balance i put some weight on that foot (cast). I guess i woke the whole house up cussing lol. I have always used a walker instead of crutches. I feel safer with the walker. Crutches scare me because i am a clutz when it comes to things. My husband says i would get around better with crutches but I am doing just fine with this walker. Im at the end of week 2 in physical therapy and actually fell tuesday going up the stairs they make you go up for therapy, I made it to stair 3 and after that my knee buckled and down i went. Im glad he had that belt around me! Thank God lol

Closed Thread