It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

xxxpeplyxxx HB User
bunion removal????

Hi all, just wondering what it entails really, i've had a bunion since the age of 17 (i'm now, 22 nearly 23) and it has got so bad and alot bigger over the past couple of years that it is now starting to really take a toll on day to day activities, i try to avoid full days out at all costs as i know how much it'll hut for the next week! i cannot wear heels any more kills me and withing 20 mins if im lucky they come straight off!! i have tried everything! apart from surgery and my doctor wants to refer me to a surgeon to have it removed! which to be honest i'd love!! just to get a normal life back eventually would be nice, i shouldn't be avoiding going out for a day at my age.

Only i have a slight problem the recovery time for the surgery seems quite a while!! and i would absolutly not be allowed all that time off of work, i got majorly moaned at, at work and threatened with a disaplinary in jan this year for having 2 weeks off in hospital with suspected meningitis, and i also had 2 weeks off of work last year to have a septorhinoplasty (had to have this done for health reasons, not just because i wanted a nose job), so i'm kind of stuck right now, how long would be the least time to have off? i work in a nursery wth 0-5 year olds would i be able to return to work fairly quickly, as im sooooo desperate have it removed and have a better quality of life, but i'm so affraid i'd loose my job if i were to have it done. Really dont know what to do, can't afford to loose my job, but can't go on much longer with this darn bunion!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: bunion removal????

Only your ortho can answer that. Depending on what all is wrong with the joint, there are several different procedures. Some require that you be off it a few days, some a few weeks. Find out exactly which procedure he is doing, what all it entails (cutting, hardware, fusion, whatever) and exactly how long each stage of it lasts (non weight bearing - NWB, partial weight bearing, full weight bearing).

Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
(female)

LapidusBunion HB User
Re: bunion removal????

Yes depending on the procedure, I had a lapidus bunionectomy done, and it it a very long process, I am at 6 weeks and I finally got a camboot where i can at least walk with it on, but not for a long time, nor very efficiently, in 2 weeks i should be able to wear an oversized sneaker, and hopefully two weeks after that some what a decent normal tennis shoe, it's in all about 10-12 weeks out :-/

Closed Thread