It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

Fenn11 HB UserFenn11 HB User
Smile Surprise-I can walk!!!

So I had an appointment with the PT at my OS's office today. I was supposed to have been FWB by last Friday but had some pain and was told to back off a bit. Monday night I took my first steps (2steps away from my crutches, 2 steps right back to them!) in my boot without my crutches. I was so excited! My family was like "yeah? 4 steps? And you're that excited?!) I've taken a few more steps since then but haven't felt secure because I can't get the inflation on my boot comfortable.

I expected the PT to tell me to keep working on walking crutch free until I meet with my OS in 2 weeks. Imagine my surprise when he was so pleased with my gait and step length in the boot without crutches that he had me take off the boot and try walking with no boot but crutches. THEN he asked if I wanted to try it without the crutches! I was terrified but apparently did great because now I'm cleared to wear a shoe at home and the boot when I go out! If it keeps feeling good, I can go to work in 2 shoes next week with a crutch or a cane for balance. He said I can try driving in a couple of days, can go in my pool, and can sleep without my boot! I didn't expect any of this for at least another 2 weeks!

My friends and family are happy and excited for me, but just don't quite get it so I had to share with people who will understand. :-)

Yesterday marked 8 weeks since my surgery (All-American flat foot reconstruction with Achilles lengthening and bunionectomy (Lapidus procedure). The OT asked if I'd been doing what he and my OS told me to do in terms of PWB, exercises, etc. and when I said fanatically he said that was obvious and that's why I'm doing so well.

Of course, that means that painful PT is in my near future but a surprise like today just makes that easier to prepare for mentally.

So, do exactly what the doc and PT tell you to do-it's hard and frustrating, but soooo worth it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
(female)

LapidusBunion HB User
Re: Surprise-I can walk!!!

So exciting hey?! I am currently using a cam boot, and today i randomly felt totally comfortable walking, i've been doing a bit of lifting of my foot trying to get some strength in my ankle! I too had the lapidus procedure done 6 weeks ago yesterday, it's been so long! I can't believe how much muscle I lost in my ankle and leg, I know it will come back, but it's been a long process, glad to see someone else going through it too!

The following user gives a hug of support to LapidusBunion:
Fenn11 (06-08-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to LapidusBunion For This Useful Post:
Fenn11 (06-08-2012)
Closed Thread