It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User
poterior tendon transfer

Hi! I am new here. Im scheduled for surgery 6-14. Im having a posterior tendon transfer and 3 other procedures. Mri said my heel was dislocated also, but my orhto dr said he really didnt want to fuse it yet because I still had good movement in my ankle. My foot problems have been going on for 2 years. Ive been on tramadol, Naproxin for daytime while working and hydrocodone i take when i get home. I first started seeing a podiatrist....He did xrays and recommended i wear a boot for 2 months....Just take it off at night and put shoes on to go to the bathroom. After all that buy a 400 dollar set of orthodic supports for shoes. After all that boot wearing 2 weeks afterwards same ole stuff started happening again. My problem is when i set any lenth of time I can hardley get started walking again...I have to limp around till that tendon or whats left of it gets stretched out. That is the most painful thing i swear! 2 months ago i finally decided to go to a REAL ortho dr, He did xrays and right away told me that he could not help me because of all the work i needed done.(at least he was honest about it) He refered me out to a sports medicine Doctor. He told me there was very few drs he trusted to do this type of surgery and this dr was about the best. Had my appointment with him carrying xrays in hand, he looked at my xrays and said....oh no.....Not a good sign lol. So he wanted to do a MRI before we talked about any kind of surgery. After that he said my p.tibula tendon was disinagrated, my heel was dislocated. he really didnt want to fuse it, the only thing that worried him was i had a little bit of arthritis in that heel. I know its gonna be a long recovery, and im nervious about the surgery. Luckily my husband is laid off from his job so he will be the one to help me. I never thought being laid off was lucky but in this case it worked out to my advantage lol Also my 16 year old son is out of school for the summer and he can help too. I do know i have to stay in the hospital 23 hours for pain management and to make sure i can walk on crutches. I was thinking more hover round than crutches! I dont think the dr has that idea tho! Booooo lol Any advise for post op would be helpful! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: poterior tendon transfer

Check the thread===tips for non weight bearinging. I am 2 years post op flat foot surgery. I would be happy to answer any questions. When I had the surgery my husband was also unemployed. It was a blessing in disguise

Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Look at getting a knee walker, read the sticky thread on tips for coping while non weight bearing like ROXYGIRLZ said and I, too, will be happy to answer any questions! I just had ankle surgery #2!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
(female)

Rd2Recovery HB UserRd2Recovery HB User

Hi. I am 3 weeks post op from posterior tendon transfer and they made a cut in my heel, realigned it to create an arch and put in a screw. I highly recommend a knee scooter. It makes mobility so much easier than crutches. I use crutches with assistance to go up and down the front stairs of our house only. Truly, a knee scooter is a must. Ask for one now before surgery. Another tip is to take the time now to prepare your house for your recovery. I have a basket near where I sit and prop my foot up with items like nail clippers, puzzle book, pens, pad of paper and my pain medicine. We also removed rugs and other obstacles that may make moving around more challenging. It will be nice for you to have help. I only have help about 5 hrs in a 24 hr period as my spouse works long hours.
Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing about your recovery.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
(female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User

Hi, I just had tendon transfer 10 days ago and highly recommend a walker and a basket that attaches to the front. If you don't want to do that, try having a chair with wheels to set your stuff on and push in front of your walker. A toilet riser makes it easy and being able to knee on the toilet lid with your bad leg to dry your hair helps conserve your strength. (I've been in an AFO for the past 2 years which made exercise very, very difficult. Balancing on one leg NWB is hard so take care.)

Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

Hey everyone! Thanks for responding! Had my surgery Thursday and released from the hospital today Omg I've never been in so much pain n my life! The anestiest recommended a pain
Block before he put me to sleep so we did that too! The surgeon said there was more damage than he had thought, he repaired a ligament and tendon transfer and fused the heel. I was on morophene then that stopped working and then they used dalatad and Percocet. I also have to take a shot in the stomach for 12 more days because of the screws in the bone I had to have. I have a walker and bedside potty and they advised getting a transport wheelchair to get around in the house . I did not argu with that! Lol hopefully the pain starts subsiding soon! I am glad to be home!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

It will get better. The first few days home were difficult but then things quickly got better. Just take your medication and stay ahead of the pain

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
(female)

So sorry you are in do much pain but you are now in healing mode. I didnt have as much done as you but my tendon transfer and the calcaneus osteomy was done as outpatient. I think I would have liked staying in the hospital the first couple days for pain control. If you dont mind me asking, what area do you live? I have screws from this surgery and I have 2 plates and 12 screws in my other ankle from a previous injury. I never had to do shots. Im just curious on the difference in protocol. I live in the US-ohio. Are you in a splint or cast? I was in a splint for 2 weeks and now Im in a cast for 4 weeks. 11 more days till I get this cast off! Then I get a boot but still will be non weight bearing for like 4 more weeks. Ugh! Well, Good Luck to you and I wish you speedy pain relief. Hang in there!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
(female)

Such great advice! Stay ahead of the pain!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

I'm in a soft cast and go back to doctor July 5th I don't know what's gonna happen after that. He put 2 screws in my heel.non weight bearing I know for at least 8 weeks. Did anyone else have to do the blood thinner shots?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Wow! You had a lot done! Sounds like pain is controlled with the meds. Welcome to this side of the ordeal and being on the way to recovery! Oh and I personally didn't have to do blood thinners, but I know of others who have had.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did not take blood thinners. Did your doctor tell you why he orders them? What were the shots in your stomach for?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
I did not take blood thinners. Did your doctor tell you why he orders them? What were the shots in your stomach for?
He said because of the screws in the bone. Your likely to get blood clots with bone screws or cutting in the bone. And the shot in the stomach is
Is blood thinner,is a small needle so it
Really doesn't hurt. Like I would notice that with all the other I'm having
Lol

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
(female)

The doctor has me taking a baby asprin daily for a month

Closed Thread