It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
(female)

catlady007 HB User
Angry morton's neuroma surgery and scar tissue

hi,
I have had 2 MN surgeries in the past 6 years and am still in pain,, needless to say this situation has been devastating... the 1st surgery was done by a peodiatric surgeon, ( do NOT recommend) second surgery to remove 2 nerves on left foot was done by an orthopedic surgeon,, but now the pain is back almost as bad as BEFORE surgery, I am afraid I have a STUMP neuroma, or
the surgeon did attached severed nerves into muscle to prevent the severed
nerves from reattaching to scar tissue ( enter stump neuroma )my question
has anyone had success after 2 failed surgeries, if so, what type of medical
Doc did you use, also has anyone had luck with breaking up scar tissue to eliviate pain?? if, so have you heard of ART cerificate practitioner to break up scar tissue, my POD never gave me any post-op instructions or PT>>
I hope this might help someone with MN post-pain, and I did try everything
before surgery $800 in acupuncture, $100's of vitamins and resting foot and massage, i think sometimes we are gentically weaker with nerve problems,
oh, well, tell me your story,,, thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: morton's neuroma surgery and scar tissue

I've only had one removed and it was very successful. A foot and ankle board certified sports med ortho did it. He has done 100's. That was 10 or so years ago and all is well. I didn't have any PT at all with it. Not really any need (I've had other foot surgeries so can compare). I just walked from day 1 (incision on top of foot). I did have swelling and it was pretty tender but otherwise it was a pretty easy recovery. Nerve ending was buried. I'd find a good sports med ortho -foot and ankle board certified - as neuromas are common in athletes. Where are you located? And you might check the Foot board as many of us over there have had MNs removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

catlady007 HB User

thanks so much, I am happy that you had a sucesss, my orthopedis surgeon was board cerified and stated that he did sports injury related surgeries, so i thought i was ok, now i am not sure, I have another appt, with him tommorow, and I want him to tell me wether he did bury the nerves or not, obviuosly he can say he did, I don't want another surgery, too scary I was on crutches for 6 weeks after the last, it was bad. I'm going to ask for a ultrsound or testing to see what exactly is wrong and why still in pain a yr. later, I live in Northeast Tn, considering Knoxville, had good sucess with dental implants there. thank you so much for your help....also considering ART therapy, involves breaking down scar tissue to possible release trapped nerve,,, thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Call UT athletics department and see who they use. He'll be good. Also, I don't know his name but have heard good things about the Titans' doc. (he operated on Steve McNair at one point). Usually any subsequent neuroma surgergies after the initial one at the same location are done from the bottom of the foot. So a stump neuroma would be removed that way and you'd be NWB. Have you had an MRI?

The following user gives a hug of support to Titchou:
catlady007 (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

catlady007 HB User

Hi,
I am seeing my orthopedic surgeon tomm, and I will tell him I want an MRI to see exactly what is wrong. thank you, again for your help, I will call the UT athletics to see what DR. they use.. the POD that did my surgery stated he specialized sport medicine, ankle & feet,
but, one red flag, he said he only does 3 MN surgeries a year...oh, well..
what does NWB mean??you don't seem hopeful about Active Release therapy to breakdown scar tissue, maybe the severed nerve is tangled in the scar tissue?? just a guess, I will try almost anything 1st then to go through another MN surgery,,,thank you
for all your advice..

Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

NWB - non weight bearing. I'm just not familiar with active release therapy so don't want to venture an opinion. And just because someone says they specialize in foot and ankle surgery doesn't mean they are board certified. Always be sure to ask about board certifications - all specialities have boards that a person has to apply to and possibly even pass testing. It's like going to a general doctor for cancer treatment. Not something you want to do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
catlady007 (06-10-2012)
Closed Thread