It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

mira258 HB User
Bone graft

I need a bone graft on my toe and have a few questions.

The doctor has given me the choice of taking a piece from my heel or using donor bone.

If you had it taken from your heel, what was the recovery like? How long were you out of commission. Please tell me the pros and cons.

If you used donor bone, did you have any concerns?

If I use my own bone, they will use IV sedation. I have never been sedated and I worry about that. Probably unnecessary worry, but I still do. Although, all the people I have spoken to have said it's really not a big deal.

Any help is appreciated. There are pros and cons for each, just would love to hear your experience as I decide. My doctor has anwered quite a few of my questions, but the decision is ultimately up to me.

Thank you for any help.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
(female)

mutedgirl HB User
Re: Bone graft

i had bone taken from my pelvic crest and put into my lateral column (Not the same as heel but still...)
i think you should go with your own bone because if you use donor bone then you will have more chance of rejection and non union as your body will recognize it as a foreign body. using your own bone holds less risks (as i'm sure your doctor has told). don't worry about the sedation, most people don't fall asleep with iv sedation (but don't hold me to that) so it will be easier to recover from than general anesthetic.
hope i helped
MutedGirl x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

mira258 HB User

Thank you. Yes, you are very helpful. In my head I know my own bone is the way to go, but the IV sedation.....scares the heck out of me--even though I know it's OK.

Thank you again for your help.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
(male)

posttibtend HB User

I was given the same choice. I'm a man, 38 years old and my orthopedic doctor suggested I have the allograft (sterilized cadaver) bone. I also consulted a family friend who is an orthopedic surgeon. She also recommended the allograft (cadaver) bone for my age range and the fact that I'm in good health. She mentioned that if my doctor thought I could tolerate it, then she thought it was a better choice for me. She also said that there can be a small risk of chronic pain in the hip after harvesting your own bone (autograft) from that site. However, with the autograft bone, you do get the added benefit of living tissue and it is your own tissue and more likely to be "recognized" by your body.

I had the allograft (cadaver) bone transplant for the Evan's Procedure and I'm doing just fine. In fact, the Evan's Procedure with the allograft bone seems to be healing better than my medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy where my calcaneus bone was cut in half, slid over and reattached to itself. Even though both pieces of the calcaneus bone where mine, the medial osteotomy showed little signs of healing after 6 weeks. I think both are fine now but I won't see the next x-ray for 2 more weeks. If you check out the Boards on July 7th, I'll have posted an update.

Who knows what is best for you? Each person is different.

The bottom line is: ask your doctor what his/her recommendation is for you and then ask why.

Anyway, you ask one question on the Health Boards and you almost always get two (or many more) answers.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
(female)

mira258 HB User

This is a huge help to me. Tuesday I am going to see a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon to see what he thinks. He knows what a baby I am and will put it "bluntly" to me.

I will check July 7th for your update. Hope all goes well!

Closed Thread