It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
(male)

posttibtend HB User
Post-Op PTTD ankle support brace - any opinions?

Hello all,
In few weeks, I will have my fiberglass cast taken off for the last time (after 13 weeks of multiple cast changes). I had PTTD surgery: calcaneal osteotomy, Evan's procedure and FDL tendon transfer. Unlike many others, I will not transition to a removable boot instead I will have gone from NWB to PWB to FWB in these non-removable fiberglass casts. I was wondering if anyone had experience with buying an off the shelf ankle brace to help support the ankle and foot after the final cast removal. I was looking at a hinged ankle brace or a lace up brace. Does anyone have any good experiences with these? Some of the braces I was considering were the: Bauerfeind MalleoTrain Plus or the Bauerfeind Malleoloc, the Ossur Rebound ankle brace, the Swede-O Arch Loc, Deroyal Element Sport Ankle Brace, etc.. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Post-Op PTTD ankle support brace - any opinions?

I would imagine the best thing to do is to ask your doctor which one he recommends. Most have their favorites. I haven't had your particular surgery, but I've had 2 ankle surgeries and am till recovering from #2. My doctor gave me his top 2 favorites for a lace up with figure 8 straps brace that is a maximum support brace and where to get it. I have LOVED IT! My doctor recommended the McDavid lace up brace or the Shock Doctor lace up and I think mine is Shock Doctor. He also sells the lace ups or ASO (ankle stabilizing orthosis) brace in his office but said the ones he recommended were just as great and half the price so I went with it and I get great support and it fits very well in my running shoes and it's comfortable to wear without socks when I want or need to wear flip flops (like really hot days, days where I'm swollen and to church because I can't wear any other kind of sandal, dress flat or heels). I can't believe you're going straight to the brace from a cast and no boot in between! I can't imagine! I couldn't have done it. I learned to walk again in the boot! I bet you might could ask to transition to the boot and he'd let you if you are really concerned about it! Let us know what you pick!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
posttibtend (06-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I would definitely talk to your doctor about which brace would be best for you. Following flat foot reconstruction surgery in 8/10 (fdl tendon transfer, repair of ptt, calcaneal osteotomy, achielles tendon lengthening and kidner procedure) my surgeon had me wear an ASO (very similar to what Hollywood described). Following surgery to repair a tear in my peroneal tendon, a different surgeon had me wear the same brace.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
posttibtend (06-11-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Thank you Hollywood and Missyluke,
I think it is a good idea to check in with my doctor first. On my next visit, I'll bring her some pictures of some of the ankle support options I would like to use. She tends to be a very "do as I say" doctor and I have a feeling she will do just that when I see her. Her protocol is very strict.
Hollywood, I took a look at the Shock Doctor Ultra Wrap Lace Ankle Support and it appears to be very good and cheaper than some of the more expensive brands I had mentioned in my first post. I'll let you know what I decide to do in a few weeks and keep you posted as to my progress (I can't wait to get this cast off!).
Three weeks ago I could only partially weight bear (about 30%) with a lot of pain in the calcaneus area (where the osteotomy was made) and there seemed to be very little if any improvement for about two weeks. All of a sudden, within this last week I started to fully bear weight for short distances of 100 to 200 feet--no walker, no scooter, no cane!! I can finally see major improvement after 9 and a half weeks post-op. I still feel pressure from the inflammation (blood rushes) whenever the foot is down for a short while or if I'm walking, but nothing like my first two weeks post-op. There are times when I'm sitting and I don't even notice that my foot has been on the ground for 30 minutes. Somehow this last week I took a turn for the better and things improved really quickly. Even if I come to another plateau, I feel happy to have reached this point in my recovery.
Thank you both again for your continuing help.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

My doctor gave me any braces etc that he wanted me to wear. I would be very suprised if your doctor did not have his specific brace reccomendation.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
posttibtend (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

POSTTIB-Thats GREAT! Yay for walking! Oh and it's perfectly normal normal to have times where you Don't notice you've had your foot down for 30 min and then there will be days where 5 min will be painful. Things like that, pain, and swelling will be a see saw for quite a while unfortunately. My doctor told me 6 more months before I'm swelling and pain free as it takes about 9 months on average for patients to be swelling and pain free after this particular surgery. I believe him. I will have days where it feels pretty good and I don't think about it and then I will have days (particularly when I've been pretty active or busy) where it swells to the size of a grapefruit and causes a 7/10 pain level when I'd previously never had above a 4-5/10 (except for right after surgery)! So the Shock Doctor Ultra Wrap Lace Ankle brace. I'm assuming the wrap means it has the figure 8 stirrups? It's a great brace and so comfortable! But definitely check with your doctor!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
posttibtend (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
(female)

Rd2Recovery HB UserRd2Recovery HB User

I am 3 weeks into healing for PTTD and calcanys osteomy. I would check with your doctor or physical therapist. They may not want you in a brace so it wont hinder the strengthand range of motion that is needed to build back up after such a long time non weight bearing. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rd2Recovery For This Useful Post:
posttibtend (06-14-2012)
Closed Thread