It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
(female)

fermac HB User
Question custom orthotic ?

Ok ive posted before but here a bit of back ground on my problem. Three years ago started having pain and swelling in left foot. Was told it was posterior tibial tendonitis. Tried about everything to fix it. Brace boot pt even a custom brace(Richie brace). None of which helped significantly. Returned to Dr a couple months ago because of increased pain. I was born with flat feet but x ray shows it is nearly completely flat with heel back farther than it should be and bone that comes done sticks out over top of foot. Dr says I have tenosyvisis and osteoarthrosis. He says that eventually I will have to have a fusion, but feels I'm too young for that? He has recommended I get a custom orthotic because I will have to have it after I have the surgery anyways. Is this usually the case?

Also I plan to get a second opinion about surgery from an os(current Dr is a podiactric surgeon) should I wait on the orthotic until I get that opinion? I just hate to spend that money and find put it wasn't necessary.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: custom orthotic ?

I don't know anything about your problem. If you can get insurance to pay for an orthotic I would. If they don't, I would still consider it. Its like a high end insert for shoe. They can be adjusted, if they don't feel right. I have gone back and they have grinded off some underneath, if it felt to high. My second set seemed better. Maybe he adjusted them basted on the wear marks of my first.

I am not familar with your foot problem. But wearing good shoes and good socks will help anyone. I wear light wool hiking socks all summer, and heavier in the winter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I agree with Zerk in that orthotics are so valuable and even though customized, they can be adjusted. Most insurances don't cover them, but try it anyway. They are expensive so if you wanted to wait for a 2nd opinion, I think that's a good idea. I would definitely encourage you to see a board certified foot/ankle surgeon, not a general OS. I made that mistake the first time and had my first surgery with them and there were a lot of things not done that could've made it so much easier as I found out after this recent 2nd surgery I had done by a foot/ankle OS. ESPECIALLY with the procedure you need to have done, you need foot/ankle OS and when you are talking to him/her, make sure to ask how many of those they've done and what their succes rate is and why the national one is. That is a very involved surgery that you want your doctor to be good at. I haven't had your specific surgery, but there are a ton of people on here who have and hopefully they will share their advice/stories. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Work Comp covers me for two a year, due to fractured calcaneuos. I know someone who had it covered for plantar fasctitis. So it depends on the injury and insurance company.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
(female)

fermac HB User

My insurance covers it it but I have a $3000 deductable to meet first.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

That's great! ZERK- I'm not surprised that yours were covered and if I think about it insurance companies probably do cover most orthotics for heelies. I am very surprised at the one who was covered for plantar fasciitis. That's what mine are for and my insurance covers just about everything and is one of the best plans, but didn't cover that. I was so surprised until I started asking questions and checking around and no one was being covered. FERMAC--that's great that it covers it, but stinks about the deductible. How much do you he left to go or is it the whole thing?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
(female)

fermac HB User

Still have most of it to do go do I would have to pay out of pocket to get them. That's why I'm debating. Just want to make sure it would be worth it

Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Would it help to go back to the doc or insurance company? Anybody have experience with this?

You have to be able to function in your life, but I would worry a little if you buy them yourself, you insurance never will. Though maybe it will go away after you wear them. I thought the guy I worked with who had them, eventually quit. Not positive.

Though at some point, if you can afford it, it is best to be pain free and functioning. Tough call. Myself, I would badger the doc to write a script and insurance to pay for it. My ortho guy requires a script, and to have it renewed.

Closed Thread