It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

Silky1 HB User
Question bunion surgery

I've been on immune suppressant drugs for sometime now,and I want to have my hammertoes removed.
My doctor is concerned about proper healing with the use of steroids.Any suggestions?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: bunion surgery

It is a concern. Can you back off the drugs for a while?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

Silky1 HB User
Question Re: bunion surgery

That is what my doctor wants me to do. I'm in so much pain without them I hate to stop them.
What is an alternative.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You'd have to talk with your prescribing doctor about that.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
(female)

Silky1 HB User
Question Re: bunion surgery

I will. By the way have you had any type of foot surgery?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

CrochetAddict HB UserCrochetAddict HB User

Hi there, I had bunion and hammertoe correction 4 weeks ago. I have RA and take Humira weekly as well as methotrexate. I stopped my Humira 3 weeks before surgery and cannot take it until my pins come out in 2 more weeks so that will be 9 weeks without meds. I am doing better than I expected to since I am not up much. Feel free to ask me anything you might want to know about the foot surgery or meds. Good luck to you.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
(female)

Silky1 HB User

Wow you are just the person I need to talk to. I was wondering if you had to stop your steroids also.? I am only on 5mg of prednisone daily.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

I was on arthitis meds - Vioxx (and I would love to have it back!) and had to stop it before surgery. I am on inhaled steroids for asthma and did not have to stop them. It was pretty painful without the Vioxx (and meloxicam when I had other surgeries after Vioxx was pulled) but I got thru it.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
(female)

CrochetAddict HB UserCrochetAddict HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky1 View Post
Wow you are just the person I need to talk to. I was wondering if you had to stop your steroids also.? I am only on 5mg of prednisone daily.
I am no longer on prednisone, so it wasn't an issue, sorry. How much are you taking right now? I ask because I was on 5mg daily when I got pregnant with my youngest daughter and they said it was ok to stay on that dose. I ended up at a higher dose during the pregnancy and that was ok too. I know it's not the same as surgery, but I would think the lower the dose the better off you'd be.

Closed Thread