It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

Gardentherapy HB User
Mid Foot Fusion/Gout and walking

I had a mid foot fusion (1st and 2nd metatarsols) 8 weeks ago. At 3 weeks post surgery I had a nasty fall and thought I did damage. I had x-rays at 6 weeks and was relieved to hear that I didn't damage the fusion or hardware. However, the doctor thinks that I developed gout in the big toe as a result of the fall and said to take Aleve and indicated that I should be pain free from when I go back in 4 weeks. He told me to start weight bearing at 7 weeks post op and to take a week to get to full weight bearing which I did. I can walk as long as I have the hard boot on but I seem to be walking on the side of my foot because the gout tenderness. My question is... Is it normal to have pain and swelling when you start weight bearing? Is it better to baby the tenderness or put the weight on the foot and deal with the pain? Any tips for getting to full weight bearing with minimal problems would be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Mid Foot Fusion/Gout and walking

Yes it is very normal to have pain and swelling when you start weight bearing. Follow your doctor's orders, but don't overdo it. You're going to have some pain, but you shouldn't be in agony. Let pain be your guide and back off if you need to. It took me 2 weeks to go from NWB to FWB. The gout doesn't help I know. I don't have experience with it really so not sure what to tell you. I'm sorry! Hope it feels better soon!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hollywood48:
Gardentherapy (06-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User
Re: Mid Foot Fusion/Gout and walking

I've never heard of a fall causing gout.

There is medication that will relieve the worst of the pain of gout within a couple of hours. Having had a couple of bouts of gout, I think your doctor should be a little bit more concerned with your complaint. High uric acid levels cause crystals that can destroy your joints even if you have no pain. A rather inexpensive blood test can give a good indication of whether this is the problem.

Pain and swelling is normal when starting weight bearing but be careful of walking on the side of your foot because this can cause other problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to dexatech For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread