It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

SHAS4EVER HB User
Angry Cyst in a bone in my foot taking ova my life!!!

I don't know what to do because the doctor said he doesn't recommend surgery! So am i supposed to suffer for the rest of my life?

Last edited by SHAS4EVER; 06-14-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

houstonlady HB User
Re: Cyst in a bone in my foot taking ova my life!!!

Did you see a podiatrist? A doctor who would just expect you to suffer warrants a second opinion, in my opinion. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

SHAS4EVER HB User
Angry Re: Cyst in a bone in my foot taking ova my life!!!

I saw a podiatrist and he referred me to some other type of doctor. Then that doctor sent me for an MRI he then told me the results which in other words meant suffer for the rest of your life or consider having worse problems if you have surgery. Therefore I'm screwed either way.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
(female)

houstonlady HB User

Apply for disability. Try physical therapy-maybe they can help you live with the problem with less pain. Get your doctor to write a PT order saying "evaluate and treat" for 6 weeks.It is worth a try and beats being dependent on pain meds. After awhile the meds stop working.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What kind of cyst is this? And exactly where is it located? You say it is "in" the bone- does that mean attached to it or what? And where are you located? Maybe we can offer a doctor suggestion.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

chibadankle HB User

Knowing what kind of cyst in the bone is important -- is it in your talus? Is it from an OCD (osteochondral defect) or is it related to something else?

I agree -- if you are in pain and are told to suffer -- go seek a second opinion. And whether you see a podiatrist or an orthopedic (both have good doctors and both have bad) make sure you get the questions you have answered.

I've had 7 ankle surgeries due to a cyst originally caused by an OCD. The OCD was resolved but the cysts kept recurring. They are painful and they can do a tremendous amount of damage (mine were subchondral -- in the bone) and had to be addressed because my talus had, as one surgeon said, "a big hole in it".

I've seen both orthos and podiatrists -- the most important thing is that you see someone with experience in treating the issue. If you see a podiatrist I suggest you find someone who specializes in foot reconstruction -- not all do and it's important they have that experience.

I'm 13 weeks out from my last surgery -- and I still have another one to go. I've seen surgeons at Duke, Harborview Medical, and Northwestern. I've seen podiatrists who specialize in sports med and foot reconstruction -- a good doctor will be straight with you, help you find a solution where you are not suffering and will know enough to admit when he/she is out of their depth.

You have to be your own advocate -- nobody will do it for you. At my last surgery, after I told my surgeon, and it was in my records, I was allergic to nickel and I told everyone at every pre-op call at the hospital. The day of my surgery I told my husband -- if I'm too out of it make sure we repeat, one more time, that I'm allergic to nickel. Sure enough -- the surgeon came in and I was reconfirming details and I reiterated -- I'm allergic to nickel -- you have titanium don't you? and it turned out he didn't -- he and the hospital missed it and my surgery had to be postponed. I only share that to tell you you need to push for answers -- nobody is going to hand them to you.

If I can help you in any way -- feel free to respond. I'm sorry you aren't getting the answers you need but in no way should you be told to suffer.

Closed Thread