It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
(female)

jodew71 HB User
question re:toe splint and working

Today I am at the 5 week mark since getting bunion surgery on my right foot. The incision is still not fully healed but its trying to. The top of my big toe as well as the outside of it are numb and I have very limited movement in it. Earlier this week I started using a foot bath to soak it because the dead skin around the incision just wouldn't all come off. (I hate touching it) Now I'm worried that there's dead skin underneath the areas that have closed because its really black.

Also, starting next Wednesday I have to go back to work for 5 consecutive days - 6 hour shifts and I work in a convenience store so I'll be on my feet most of the time. I've told my boss that I'm not going to be stocking or doing anything strenuous - every break I get I'll be sitting with my foot in the air and a bag of peas on it. I knew I'd have to work these days before I had the surgery.

But, I'm wearing the toe splint still and I'm wondering if I should get a pair of compression stockings instead. If I do, do I still keep the toe splint on? My bone should be healed by then so I should be ok without it right? I've been taking the splint off for hours at a time to let the incision breathe and I noticed today that the gap between my toes isn't as big as it used to be. I think I'll be wearing it more starting today.

Also, I'm not sure if I should worry about the numbness or not. Since the healing began this week I'm getting more pains in the incision/toe area than I have in the past month. I read that scar tissue can be painful so maybe that's the cause? Or scar tissue rubbing on the nerve? How much pressure should I be putting on the incision to try and break it up?

I don't see my doctor until the 28th and I was told before surgery that if I choose to go back to work earlier than he says, if I screw up my foot then I'm at the bottom of the surgery wait list to get it fixed. I'm taking it easy because of that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread