It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
Re: Calcaneal Osteotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd2Recovery View Post
Oh and I feel really good. Incisions and skin under cast are quite itchy but other than that really good. I have a knee scooter which is truly a Godsend. I was very lucky as I did not have the pain That some people experience. Elevating is key to pain management. I hardly took any of my pain meds. I hope that that is the case for you as well.
I was wondering if I should get the knee scooter but you convinced me. What about staying on the couch as opposed to staying upstairs in my bedroom. Did you go out at all, like have someone drive you places. I was thinking I might spend some rehab time at my daughters home as well. How did you manage on stairs or did you just avoid them? Did you have a shower chair also?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
(female)

Rd2Recovery HB UserRd2Recovery HB User

Shower chair is a must. As far stairs in my home. I am horrible on crutches without help on stairs. I actually have everything set up downstairs. We turned our dining room into my living space. I have a day bed set up there. Our main tv and sectional is on our living room so its easy for me to get to kitchen, watch tv, prop my foot, let my dogs out etc. all by zooming around on my knee scooter i have a basket so I use that alot gor meals, drinks etc I have help from my spouse from about 2:30 - 7:30 pm due to the work hours so I needed to be able to function. We made all accomodations like removing rugs, setting up the bed before the surgery and tweaked as we went along. You will be amazed how you adapt to make things work for you. For instance, there isnt enough room to get scooter and the dogs out back door. So i park scooter and open door and the use my crutch to open the screen door so the dogs can go out. Its just an extension of my arm since the area is si tight. Also I highly recommend a basket near where you will spend most time with everything you might need. Lotion, pain meds, nail clippers, tissues, pen and paper, etc. I keep the book I am reading and a crossword puzzle book and pencil in there as well. So helpful! I did that when my daughter had knee surgery and she loved it. I do go out. Not a ton. We have a camper that is permanently on a lot and I go there and have even figured out how to prop my leg up while we go on a golf cart ride. The knee scooter serves as a great place to prop your leg to when you are out. Hope you found this helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rd2Recovery For This Useful Post:
luv2Boutside (06-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
(female)

Also with stairs to take a shower, I crawl up on my knees and scoot down on my bottom. The trick is figuring out in your home how you will then get up from floor. The bathroom is close to my stairs so I crawl into bathroom and use counter, tub, etc to get to my feet. Do practice runs before your surgery. Relieving your mind of the unknowns really helps get rid of the anxiety of post op living.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
(female)

luv2Boutside HB User

I too will be getting a knee scooter! Sounds like the right way to go. And I hope my pain is managed as well as yours. Thanks for all the helpful tips too.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

Sounds like some great advice! Just don't forget a bunch of pillows to be able to prop your foot above your heart, toes above nose.
I had my surgery on March 6th, and I did allot of prep work before surgery. It really did make things allot easier. There is a permanent list of tips for pre surgery on the main foot problems board that I found helpful. Definitely get a knee scooter if you can, it was a big lifesaver for me! You can rent them from a healthcare store or drug store. I bought mine on a popular online site (we aren't allowed to mention name), and I plan to clean it up and sell it. I just got cleared to use one crutch yesterday and am excited to try my new freedom.
Good luck to you!

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

The following user gives a hug of support to planemark:
Rd2Recovery (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
(female)

Congrats on being down to one crutch! Good news. Happy healing

The Following User Says Thank You to Rd2Recovery For This Useful Post:
planemark (06-21-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd2Recovery View Post
Congrats on being down to one crutch! Good news. Happy healing
Oops not me yet!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
(female)

Oops is right. Sorry! Lol

Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

The recovery from this surgery is so long, and the first couple months in the cast seem to last forever. Just hang in there and know hat it will be over before you know it. I was getting so frustrated myself from the pain, swelling and exhaustion. I didn't think I would ever get my life back. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I seem to be moving toward it.
If you have any questions just ask away. There is a good group on here at different stages of recovery. This is quite the journey, isn't it??

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post:
luv2Boutside (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #25
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemark View Post
The recovery from this surgery is so long, and the first couple months in the cast seem to last forever. Just hang in there and know hat it will be over before you know it. I was getting so frustrated myself from the pain, swelling and exhaustion. I didn't think I would ever get my life back. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I seem to be moving toward it.
If you have any questions just ask away. There is a good group on here at different stages of recovery. This is quite the journey, isn't it??
It will be 6 weeks post op this friday for me and I then get my cast off. So looking forward to that. I dont think I will start therapy right away which I am nervous about. My pain is good but Im sure that wont be the case when Im in therapy. And you are right. I love this board because it does have so many stages of recovery and you dont feel alone in this journey.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rd2Recovery:
planemark (06-23-2012)
Closed Thread