HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Calcaneal Osteotomy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/905163-calcaneal-osteotomy.html)

Gisellaa 06-15-2012 02:12 PM

Calcaneal Osteotomy

So I had Calcaneal Osteotomy surgery on May 21st. Did any of you have pins put in? If so, when you got them taken out did it hurt? Because when the time comes to take them out, I will be terrified!:eek:

roxygirl1 06-15-2012 02:53 PM

Re: Calcaneal Osteotomy

My screws were removed about 8 months post op. not everyone needs screws removed but I did. It wasnot a big deal it is really nothing to worry about

Gisellaa 06-15-2012 02:59 PM

We're yours under your heel, or where the incision was made? Mine are on the bottom of my heel, the pins I have look like thumb tack but really long.

wants to walk 06-15-2012 06:41 PM

I had mine taken out at week 11 but my surgeon does it differently than many. Mine were left sticking out of the bottom of my heel since surgery. They stuck out about and inch and a half and were checked and re-banaged each cast change. This is why I was in casts (4) and non weight bearing for the entire 11 weeks. I went into an aircast afterwards.
Mine used a regular hand drill and reversed them out. No meds, no freezing, I just sat there and watched him. Creepy but I couldn't not look. Freaked me out when he told me this is what he would be doing but the pain wasn't as bad as I was expecting.Once they cleared the bone and was began to wiggle with the drill, he simply took the drill off and unscrewed it by hand.
I have them as a souvenir. They are huge and really long!!

Gisellaa 06-15-2012 06:49 PM

That sounds a little painful with the hand drill. Mine are like yours, as you described them. I'm going to get mine taken out in a couple of weeks, so I'm nervous. Hopefully it tickles or something and doesn't hurt, but I don't know what to expect when it happens.

planemark 06-15-2012 10:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you have to worry about getting those pins taken out. That doesn't sound like fun at all! I would definitely take a couple pain pills before your appointment to at least help you relax.
I have permanent screws in my calcanal osteotomy. I am just over 3 months post op and PWB working toward FWB. The pain in my heel has been bad the more weight I am putting on it. I swear that most of my pain is from the screws digging into the inside of my foot. At least you won't have to deal with that, and it will put you farther along in healing.
Good luck!!

luv2Boutside 06-17-2012 12:18 PM

Hi all,
Can I ask you guys what your symptoms were prior to surgery? I am looking at having a dwyer osteotomy, tendon repair, soft tissue release and my big toe fixed in 3 weeks. Very nervous about this. My screws will remain in. I am hoping for a full recovery as I am very active. This forum has been sooo helpful and informative. It's so nice to hear from others who have been through this.
Thanks.

UofMGimp 06-18-2012 07:15 AM

I have had two calcaneal osteotomies over the past two years (one on each foot) and had two pins(not screws) sticking out of my foot that had to be removed as a result. My pins were taken out when I had my cast removed, which was about 12-weeks after surgery.

I totally understand your feeling though, I was terrified before having mine taken out! In the end though it really wasn't bad. It mostly just felt like pressure when my doctor pulled them out, there wasn't too much pain. If you are worried, you can alway take a pain killer before you go in for your appointment to have them removed. I promise though, after getting through the first two weeks or so of the surgery recovery, having your pins removed with be nothing!

roxygirl1 06-18-2012 11:32 AM

Prior to surgery, I would get a sharp pain along the ptt extending into the arch after taking 5 or6 steps. My ankle was starting to cave toward the ground

luv2Boutside 06-18-2012 11:50 AM

OK thanks. A little different than me. How are you post surgery?

roxygirl1 06-18-2012 12:00 PM

I am almost 2 years post op and doing very well

Rd2Recovery 06-20-2012 08:17 PM

I had posterior tendon transfer and calcaneal osteomy done May 18. I have 1 screw in my heel. I have smaller screws in my other ankle from a previous injury and I had 2 removed. They put you to sleep and I know I had to rest that day and maybe for a few days. I didnt have any pain. The one in my heel is bigger but Im sure it will be the same protocol. Im sure what we are experiencing now is way worse than that will be.

prico54 06-20-2012 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=Rd2Recovery;5003315]I had posterior tendon transfer and calcaneal osteomy done May 18. I have 1 screw in my heel. I have smaller screws in my other ankle from a previous injury and I had 2 removed. They put you to sleep and I know I had to rest that day and maybe for a few days. I didnt have any pain. The one in my heel is bigger but Im sure it will be the same protocol. Im sure what we are experiencing now is way worse than that will be.[/QUOTE]

Hi, this sounds like the same surgery I am having on Aug 24th. How long did your surgeon tell you it will take to go back to work? How are you feeling right now?

Rd2Recovery 06-20-2012 11:26 PM

My surgeon hadnt said an exact date. He did tell me that I will probably be able to start driving at 12 weeks post op. It might be because it is my right foot. Definitely non weight bearing for 10 weeks. I am off work during the summer and thats why i scheduled it for when I did. I go back to OS on June 29 and I will get this cast off and be put in a boot with no weight still. Im sure I will find out more then as to a timeline of healing and getting back to normal activities. I will keep you posted.

Rd2Recovery 06-20-2012 11:31 PM

Oh and I feel really good. Incisions and skin under cast are quite itchy but other than that really good. I have a knee scooter which is truly a Godsend. I was very lucky as I did not have the pain That some people experience. Elevating is key to pain management. I hardly took any of my pain meds. I hope that that is the case for you as well.