It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
(female)

Post bunion HB User
Post bunion surgery - orthotics

I had bunions removed Nov-Dec 2011 and my feet are doing well. I have been advised that part of my doctor's process is to purchase orthotics ($600/pair ... not covered by my insurance). My physical therapist indicates my feet would do fine with some quality over-the-counter orthotics.
I do trust the PT and I don't trust the MD (long story).
I am currently using over-the-counter orthotics and, again, my feet are doing well.
Suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
(female)

jodew71 HB User
Re: Post bunion surgery - orthotics

I've been using custom made orthotics for 4 years and I can't go without them. My job requires me to be on my feet for 5+ hrs a day so I needed something - my back and feet were aching after only 1 hour. I looked into Dr. Scholl's and the ones that had the arch support I need weren't wide enough for my foot. I'm in Ontario Canada and the standard fee to get them is $400. I had my left bunion removed 25 years ago and had the right one done 5 weeks ago.

The one thing that my chiropractor said to me was that it doesn't matter how much money you spend on the orthotics, you have to have good shoes. His office sells New Balance and so does my orthopedic surgeon. I picked up 2 pair for less than $100 in February so I'll be wearing those when I'm walking again. Ideally I should be wearing the orthotics when I'm in the house too but I refuse. So he told me the next best thing is a pair of Crocs. Real Crocs, not the knock-offs.

Long story short - if the over the counter orthotics are doing the job I certainly wouldn't buy custom orthotics. Get better shoes and go from there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread