It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

marble94 HB Usermarble94 HB Usermarble94 HB User
Post PTTD surgery transition to shoes

I am 10 weeks post pttd w/calcaneal Osteotomy. Last week my OS appointment went great. The X-rays look great and the surgeon is very pleased. I am 100% weight bearing in the CAM boot w/crutches for balance.

I can start progressing to a shoe. I am going to work with my physical therapist to slowly make the transition to the shoe over the next couple of weeks. I have a question for everyone that is going through/or has bee through this.

I tried on my sneaker to bring to pt with me on Monday. I was not shocked that it did not fit due to the swelling. So I started trying Shoes around the house. I have a house full of men! My shock came when my sons size 11 Nikes fit my pre-surgical women's size 8.5 foot!!!

What experiences has anyone been through making the transition and what type of shoe has anyone found that is good for a post surgical foot?

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Post PTTD surgery transition to shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marble94 View Post
I am 10 weeks post pttd w/calcaneal Osteotomy. Last week my OS appointment went great. The X-rays look great and the surgeon is very pleased. I am 100% weight bearing in the CAM boot w/crutches for balance.

I can start progressing to a shoe. I am going to work with my physical therapist to slowly make the transition to the shoe over the next couple of weeks. I have a question for everyone that is going through/or has bee through this.

I tried on my sneaker to bring to pt with me on Monday. I was not shocked that it did not fit due to the swelling. So I started trying Shoes around the house. I have a house full of men! My shock came when my sons size 11 Nikes fit my pre-surgical women's size 8.5 foot!!!

What experiences has anyone been through making the transition and what type of shoe has anyone found that is good for a post surgical foot?

Thanks!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I was not cleared to wear a shoe until about 14 or 16 weeks post op. By then the swelling was down a lot. I found that sneakers worked best for me. The dr had me wear an ASO brace in my shoe for the first several weeks My ortho had a very specific protocol. I am 2 years post op a successful surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
marble94 (06-17-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Roxygirl, I too am wondering what type of shoes I will be able to wear after surgery (a long time after surgery) Now presurgery I am usually wearing a sports shoe because that is the only thing my orthotic will fit into. On occasion I can wear a dress shoe for a short while as long as I am not walking much. Are You able to wear a dress shoe at all?
My step mom had a few surgeries on her foot for a different problem and even years later can not get that foot into a lot of shoes.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully your doctor will give you guidance with shoes. I went to a good shoe store with a pedorthist to get a good and supportive shoe. Tie shoes are best as they will accommodate two different size feet.

Closed Thread