It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User
Re: Walking After Ankle Surgery

I was delivering pizza(my part time job). I fell off the porch after giving the customer their pizza - they didn't have a porch light on and I couldn't see.... that was back in December. Surgery was February - it's all workers comp. I didn't even get into rehab until about 3 weeks ago - so it has been a very slow recovery for me....and no, as of today(I tried )
I couldn't use the brake with my right foot still. So, that's how it is with me. I'm fine in traffic - as long as it isn't stop and go, etc. It was VERY painful in the beginning to drive, but it has gotten much better, thankfully.

I am single and live alone and was going nuts to have my independence back. The first five weeks after surgery I stayed with a dear friend and her husband - which helped immensely, but once I got back to my house I was climbing the walls to get my freedom and independence back!

Last edited by joyful123; 06-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Oh yes, I used a knee walker for this 2nd surgery, but only in the house. There was no way I could transport it with me out. But it was a help at home! Where are the pins and needles feeling? During some ankle surgeries like a Brostrom, they have to move the sural nerve out of the way. This nerve innervates (or supplies) the dorsolateral foot below the ankle and the 4th and 5th toes. Mine were completely numb after both surgeries (toes and that part of foot) and the first time it came back within 6 months. Currently having the same thing, but now with the pins and needles and electric shocks which aren't fun! As far as confidence, that will come back quickly after a little time of successful partial weight bearing. It's like woohoo, you aren't going to collapse on me! It's scary and intimidating at first, but then it gets better fast!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

My heel was very sensitive at first too. Extremely sensitive. I didn't have the pins and needles feeling in it, but just hurt and felt raw I guess? I don't know, but I hated putting it on the ground! I liked the boot a lot when I started weight bearing. It's fabulous for that! I had a string of injuries that happened over a several year period (after my first surgery) that lead to this 2nd one. Most were working out or sports, but I had one where I was doing something stupid, one where all I did was pivot on the foot and another where I took a step (from a standing still position on even concrete floor in a church) and went all the way over on it. The very first injury that started everything for the firt surgery was playing flag football and before then, I was a gymnast. And to answer your other question (if it was to me or included me, not sure), I got my info from the experience of going through the surgeries and I am also an RN. I'm sorry about the driving restrictions. I can't imagine. Thankfully, mine was my left ankle!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
(female)

mutedgirl HB User

hey there! i didn't have your surgery, i had surgery to correct pediatric flat foot but i can kinda relate to your worries.
i was non weight bearing fr 3 months and then partial weight bearing for just under 4 weeks. i then started PT.
when i first got my cast off and started in the boot it was really odd, i couldn't get the hang of it for the first week as i had to learn to trust my foot again; i was so scared of hurting it. then when i got the boot off it was even worse.
all my muscles were extremely weak (they still are) and i was given a LOT of exercises to do as i had lost a lot of movement.
i had a major limp when i first got out of the boot, and i used crutches for a few days before switching to one crutch for support. i still have a limp which i am working hard to get rid of before it becomes my walking pattern permanently.
it is really strange as you have to learn a whole new walking pattern and it feels totally unnatural.
i hope everything goes really well for you!
MutedGirl x

Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
(female)

AnkleSurgery123 HB User

Wow, Joyful. That sounds like quite the injury. Workman's comp is never fun. I hope your recovery moves faster for you.

Hollywood..the pins and needles are mostly on all of the toes. That info you gave about the nerve was helpful. I guess you have an advantage being a RN. lol I can't believe that it took you 6 months to get rid of the feeling.

thank you, muted girl. That's a long time for you to be non-weight bearing. I can't imagine. I'm sure you will be back to walking normal in no time. hang in there!

We shall see how the walking goes after today...going to get cast off soon. Thank you guys for all your tips- appreciated.

I wish I would have found these boards before surgery. It's been SO helpful!

The following user gives a hug of support to AnkleSurgery123:
joyful123 (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
(female)

AnkleSurgery123 HB User

WoW!!! You guys were not kidding... the pins and needles and that shocking sensation in my ankle when I first stepped down, was intense! Thanks for the heads up!!!!
The walking boot is so much higher than my sneaker so it almost makes me walk with a limp.

It does feel really awesome thought to be free from the cast. Very liberating. I was so excited when I walked up the stairs. I'm walking with the crutches. I definitely do not feel confident yet to walk without them.
Hope the electric shocks end soon.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
(female)

AnkleSurgery123 HB User

Oh, and the doctor said that everything looks great, the incision sight is healing well. I was never SO happy to take a shower. I discovered what it's like to not clean your leg for a month.... lol

The following user gives a hug of support to AnkleSurgery123:
joyful123 (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Congrats on a little more freedom! Just don't try to do too much too soon I had lots and lots of tingling, pins, needles etc when I started bearing weight on my foot. My foot also started to spasm at night and "jump", waking me up in my sleep. I know Hollywood said something about taking meds to help that settle down - but I don't remember what it was now

Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hooray for escaping your cast!

Definitely get a higher shoe for your other foot, otherwise your hips and back are going to ache like anything from the asymmetry. I used a hiking boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
AnkleSurgery123 (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
(female)

AnkleSurgery123 HB User

Joyful... I can see my ankle jumping. Now the nerves at free to go back to normal. how long did it take you for the pins and needles to stop? I know I can't do too much too soon. Now that I am at this point in recovery and feeling a bit better, I want to get back to normal but my doctor looked at me and smiled. He said, "remember, you had holes drilled in your bone.!" ouch

It's nice to have the cast off but I felt "protected" in sorts by having the cast on at night when I slept. It will be interesting tonight...

Thanks for the tip Janewhite. just from the short while walking on it today, I felt my back aching. I was thinking about finding a lift to put in my sneaker to see if that helps.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

I think it took me a few days to a week for the pins/needles to stop. I had more trouble with the ankle/foot jumping at night and waking me up from a dead sleep because it hurt so much. Hollywood probably remembers more than me - we had surgery on the same day
I had holes drilled in my foot as well....not fun.

As far as sleeping, do you have a boot since you are out of the cast? I was never in a cast, just the boot for about 8 - 12 weeks, so I slept in the boot for quite some time because I also felt protected by the boot. I'm still in a lace up boot when I leave the house, but am not wearing it at night or while I'm in the house.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
(female)

AnkleSurgery123 HB User

Yes, I have a boot but it's huge and very heavy. It goes up to my knee and it's bulky. The doctor said to only use it when I am walking on it and I can take it off when sleeping and showering...... I think you boot may be smaller?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
Veteran
(female)

Nope, it's the same boot.... I guess the difference is that I didn't have the cast - I just used the boot after the surgery until I was switched to the lace up boot. It is heavy and bulky though. If doctor said not to worry about wearing it - then go for it. The doctor put me in that boot about a month before the surgery, so I lived in that boot from the end of December until the end of March. I felt so much lighter after I got out of that thing! It was actually rubbing on the incision and caused some kind of "growth" on the top of the scab - that's the only reason he switched me over to the lace up boot......

Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
(female)

AnkleSurgery123 HB User

that's a looooong time that you have to wear it! I'm only 4 weeks. I'm signing off for the night- tired. Have a good night!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh yes, unfortunately, Hollywood does remember the pins/needles and the jumping my foot would do. Oh my is it painful! I took a muscle relaxer to help that settle down. Worked very well! As far as sleeping at night and the boot..this is one of the reasons I elected to stay in a cast for the entire 6 weeks instead of go into a boot at 3 weeks. He said I could take it off to sleep, but at 3 weeks there was no way I was comfortable sleeping without anything. So I stayed in the cast because I was comfortable in it. When I finally did get my cast off, I slept in a lace up brace which is what JOYFUL was talking about. It is very slim and small and fits in your tennis shoe, but worked well for sleeping at night! Yes I do have an advantage being an RN, but unfortunately most of my specific knowledge of this injury and surgery is from having gone through it twice now!! Oh and I guess I had that I'm gonna go conquer the world look on my face the day I got my cast off because my doctor said "yeah you aren't going to the able to walk today or tomorrow! Remember I broke your bone!" LOL! Um, he was RIGHT!! Congrats on getting your cast off! Woohoo!!! Take it easy still!

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle, brostrom, surgery, walking