It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User
Lateral ankle stabilization

Ok so long story short, I had a severe sprain to my right ankle at work. They only took xrays but no mri...5 months later i am still in pain and have mobilitiy issues, so they FINALLY do an mri..well come to find out my ankle is seriously jacked up as follows:

Ligamentous disruption and possible osteochondral lesion, will rquire laterl ankle stabilization with ankle arthroscopy and debridment, curettage and microfracture of the lateral talar dome lesion...I have NO IDEA what any of that means. I have an appt on tuesday but would like to know if anyone here had this problem and what the surgery invovles. I am a little scared because it seems like a lot for my little ankle.

It was stated that I have internal joint derangment and 8mm x 6mm transverse suspicious osteochondral lesion with possible subchondral degenerative changes. Scarrred and ill defined calcaneofibular ligaments from chronic partial tearing of the anterior talofibular ligament associated with scarring i the anterior lateral gutter. Extensor hallucis longus tendon appears diffusely thinned at the level of the tibiotalar joint.

All this BECAUSE it took them FIVE months to do an MRI otherwise my ankle injury would have no progressed to such a major problem. Does anyone know anything about what I just typed, if so please enlighten me, Thanks

Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Lateral ankle stabilization

Ligamentous disruption: This means your ligaments are weak and stretched out. In the 3rd paragraph, they list exactly what ligaments are damaged. Lateral ankle stabilization is a surgical procedure, sometimes called Brostrum.

Osteochondral lesion means that the cartilage on the bone called your talus is damaged. Debridement means that the surgeon is going to look at the damage from the inside and then clean it up as well as possible.

The short version is, you have some damaged ligaments that haven't healed correctly, and the surface of your ankle bone isn't in good shape. You might need surgery to fix it.

If you do have the surgery, you'll have to be in a cast on crutches for several weeks. You'll also need to keep your foot elevated, as it will swell a lot. After that, you'll need physical therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you so much, that explains it a lot better. What is recovery time for something like this? I havent had major surgery like that before so I am a little nervous but I am still waiting to actually see a surgeon to get the ball rolling, just waiting on wc to get their head out of their butts and do their job lol

Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! So sorry to hear about your injury and subsequent delay of treatment! So frustrating!! JANEWHITE did a great job of explaining your MRI so I won't repeat that. As far as the recovery for this type of surgery....I just had my 2nd ankle reconstruction surgery on 2/22/12. I had a Brostrom-Gould to fix 3 torn ligaments, repair of a torn peroneal tendon, and the bone broken and drilled (osteotomy) to deepen the groove so the tendons won't pop out of place anymore. Recovery: 6 wks in a cast on crutches. I had the choice to move into a boot after 3 wks, but I chose to stay in the cast for a few different reasons and I am glad I did. It was about 8 wks before I was completely weaned off crutches and walking on my own (with a boot starting at week 6). I had the boot on for a month after the cast for 6 wks. Had to keep my foot elevated all the time for at least a week and then I still did anytime I wasn't up going to the bathroom for several weeks after. I was on heavy pain meds every 4 hours round the clock for 3 days and then I gradually spread them out till I was taking them twice a day after the first week until I started weight bearing and PT and then I had to increase them temporarily. I did PT regular program for 10 weeks and tha just ended last week. Once I come back from my trip, I will do the maintenance program for as long as I feel I need it. Ankle feels stable now, but I still have some pain and I swell every day some more than others. Depends on my activity level for the day and how long I'm on it. Some days it's minimal and some days it's the size of a grapefruit. This is normal. Doctor says it can take up to 6 more months before the pain and swelling is completely gone (or 9 months after surgery). It is a slow, long process to recover, but it isn't too bad considering if you are very rigid and strict with following doctors orders with elevating, PT, and taking your meds. When do you think you will hear from the surgeon? Biggest piece of advice having gone through this twice? Only have a board certified foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon do the surgery. I made the mistake of,having a general OS do my first and it was a big mistake (and I should've known better since I'm an RN, but this was 11years ago and I was brand new). Lt us know what happens!!! Everyone on here has a lot of knowledge and are very supportive!!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
(female)

I finally got my surgical consult appt with an ankle/foot spec for July 27. It sucks it's month an half away but I'm glad I finally got my appt. it's out of town though but this surgeon is suppose to be good. They give me crappy pain meds right now, tramadol which doesn't even take the edge off but I've got friends who share lol. What pain meds do you get after surgery? Am I gonna have stay over night after surgery? My foot was purple the other day which freaked me out lol. I'm glad I found this site. I've only had two surgerys in my life. 1 was to remove a benign breast tumor and the other was bi lateral arthroscopic knee surgery. I'm a little freaked out about this surgery bc it seems more major.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yay for an appt with a good foot/ankle OS! Woohoo! Yes sucks it's so far away, but if he's good, worth it! Tramadol didn't work very well for me either (but I was never given it surrounding this surgery. I think it was well after my first), but a lot of people say its worked well for them. I was given Percocet after both ankle surgeries. After the first one, he gave me one Rx for Percocet and then switched me to lortab/vicodin. This time it was a foot/ankle surgeon and he had to,break and drill the bone and he has given me Percocet every time I've needed a refill. So it all depends on the doctor and the type of surgery and how much pain will be involved. My doctor told me up front that because of the bone involvement, the pain would be bad for me.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
(female)

That would be great bc I've gota low tolerance for pain lol. Yeah my bones are involved too. How long was your surgery?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I believe my surgery was 2 1/2 hours if I remember correctly. I was supposed to be an 8:30 start, but I think it was more like 9 when I went back. I think i woke up in my post-op room at 12:45 or so (this was after being in recovery for a bit? My OS wrote his initials on my injured ankle, told me for the first time he had to break the bone and depress it (like hollowing out a log) to deepen the groove (I knew he had to drill it, but no idea he had to break it because he never used the word osteotomy and I know what that is). Then me what I wanted to go home on for pain and I said Percocet because that's what they gave me after my first ankle surgery and it controlled the pain pretty well and because he had already told me the pain would be worse this time because of the bone involvement. He told me I made a good choice and it should control the pain well and it did as long as I took 2 every 4 hours around the clock for the first 3 days and then I did a slow taper until I was taking only 2 per day a week to a week and a half out. I didn't have a block by choice. My doctor doesn't routinely order them, but you can ask the anesthesiologist for one and so I,told him I did NOT want one but didn't want to wake up hurting either. They made sure I was comfortable. They gave me 8mg total of morphine which is a good bit for me and the length of surgery. But I don't care because I didn't hurt. It took me longer to get awake enough to go to the bathroom and use it and change so I didn't get home till 4 or so. They gave mem2 Percocet right before I left the hospital so I was doped up on meds and I started my 2 percocets every 4 hours thing from the time I got those 2 percocets in the hospital and just went every 4 from there. Set my alarm and everything and so I had great pain control during the critical days. So ALLLL of that to say work that out with your doctor and anesthesiologist. And to answer your other question, you shouldn't have to stay overnight for that procedure, but every doctor is different and it will also depend on pain control. They will admit you if they can't get that under control. Hope all that helps!

Closed Thread