It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

Sausage Dog HB User
Question Newby alert! OCD Surgery - what cast to expect?

Hi,

Thanks for the fab, useful info I have been reading on here already!

I have surgery for OCD removal, followed by micro-fracturing, planned for Friday.

I know I will be NWB for the first 6 weeks but that's about it. What sort of cast, if any, can I expect to wake up with on Friday? What can I expect over the 6 weeks in terms of starting move the ankle/physio/casts? BTW, I'm in the UK.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
(female)

injuredrunner HB User
Re: Newby alert! OCD Surgery - what cast to expect?

I live in the US and had microfracture surgery Feb 2, 2012. I never had a cast. I woke up in a black walking boot. I was NWB for 8 weeks. I was not allowed to take the boot off until my first post op appointment. That appointment was 12 days after surgery. They took the boot off, removed the ace bandage and all the gauze packing and took out my stitches. After that, I just wore the black boot and was still NWB but I could take it off in the bath to wash my foot.

I has one Physical Therapy appointment about 14 days post-op. The measured my range of motion and gave me exercises to do 3 times a day. I would take off my boot and move my foot in circles, make ABCs, etc.

After my 8 weeks of NWB I began walking in the boot. I also began doing physical therapy 2 times/week. I had to walk in the boot for 2 weeks while I was out and about but the PT started weaning me out of the boot at therapy and a little at home until I could start making short trips outside with out the boot. I went totally boot-free about 11 weeks post-op. I continued with PT until about 15 weeks post-op. I am now about 18 weeks post op and can begin some LIGHT jogging on even surfaces. I have one more appointment with the surgeon in September.

A lot of people on this board talk about being in casts after surgery, but my surgeon put my in the boot right away. I guess it might end up being cheaper since its that same boot that you can use through the whole process and won't have to be changed and removed like a cast does.

Good luck with your surgery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread