It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
(male)

Rich2727 HB User
Ankle arthoscopy fail

Hi guys,
Have had ankle athroscopy two weeks ago and have seen very little progress as far as recovery goes- still very little movement, can't walk for long and foot blackens with bruising easily. Vibrations from travelling in a car also hurt.

Surgeon doesn't seem too interested and I'm looking for second opinions.

I'll include the MRI findings below (just the affected part):
"There is complete disruption of the ATFL and a nodular area of synovitis replacing the expected course of the ligament; appearances are in keeping with a meniscoid lesion... Evidence of previous lateral ligament injury with meniscoid-type lesion in the anterolateral gutter and further extensive replacement of the CFL by inflammatory/scar tissue."

The injury itself was sustained during a fall some 6 months ago when the ankle was broken (small chip detached), but otherwise never had a previous injury to this area.

I'm aware of the meanings of the medical terminology, just looking for any other opinions/ideas or best of all, someone that has been through this same process with similar negative results?

Thank you all very much!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Ankle arthoscopy fail

What was done during the arthroscopy? I think at onlym2 weeks out with the damage you sustained, it would be normal to still have these symptoms nd I imagine that is why your doctor isn't too concerned yet. Ankles don't heal fast or easily I assure you. I just had my 2nd open reconstruction repair to fix 3 torn ligaments, 1torn tendon and the bone broken and drilled to deepen the groove so the tendons won't pop out of place anymore. I'm still recovering and its still very common for my ankle to hurt and swell to the size of a grapefruit on any given day depending on activity. My surgery was 4 months ago this Wed!! Maybe that helps with the timeline of things for you? Are you doing any Pt? That can greatly help! I didn't have PT after my first surgery and it took me forever to recover-way past the norm. This time I finished my regular PT program (was 10 weeks maybe?) and will start the maintenance program when I get back from a trip and recovery has been so much easier! So don't think your surgery has failed yet!! Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Ankle arthoscopy fail

Two weeks is early days for recovery from an ankle arthroscopy. When I had my synovial lesions cleared out, I started feeling better around the 3 week point.

However, you also have the ligament tears. Ankle ligaments can't be repaired arthroscopically, which means that you might eventually need an open surgery to fix them.

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle arthroscopy