It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
(male)

Big Jock HB User
Calcaneus Fracture

I have found reading other articles in this message Board interesting but would like some help regarding my own case. I was involved in an accident during the third week of April. I lost my footing on a ladder rung and subsequently fell approximately 15-16 foot. I landed on both feet (bending the knees) like every trained soldier, but as i landed on concrete i felt my foot go weak. Due to the complexity of the fracture, surgery was delayed by 7-8 days. The surgery went well (ORIF) and I was laid up with a standard plastercast for 4 weeks. Following on from this I have been using an air cast for protection. I have done no exercises as yet other than bending my foot forward and back and also trying to complete circles. I am awaiting further physiotherapy. At present I am taking no pain relief; my scar approx 6inches in length has healed over and i have a little movement in my foot. My foot is incredibly dry and has shed a large amount of skin which i am addressing. My main areas of concern is the swelling around the ankle mainly (colour with prolonged movement) and tightness between heel and ball of foot. I do also have a small amount of numbness around the heel. Reading previous threads this all seems normal post operation activity or at least it sounds familiar. I have found the whole experience very frustrating and i know it has had a huge impact on my partner who has been burdened by all of my care. So at week 8, what should i be expecting? I have been told i may weight bare around week 12? As my job involves climbing (daily) what is a realistic timeframe for returning to normal activity given my prognosis is positive? I would be grateful for any response. Carpe Diem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Calcaneus Fracture

12-18 months to get as good as you will get. Doing stuff by 4-5 months, lots by 10 months.

I work on ladders, at home, not all day every day. I work on concrete at work, but can sit quite a bit. Hard to say, how your job will go, with regards to the rest of your life. Dunno.

Not gaining weight in your down time, will help. 8" lace up, maybe 10" if you are ladders alot. But your foot won't be able to handle to boots at first. I had to put my boots on for work, and take them off for driving, until around 15-16 month.

The accident varies alot, from the severity, treatment, and recovery. But it is a life changing event.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
Big Jock (08-29-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Here is the crash course in being a Heelie.

Lots of stuff to read about here.

But most people are non weight bearing 12 weeks, some get partial before that. Some where the boot and walk, I was told not to, cause it would make me uneven.

Keep your foot elevated, I mean elevated. I slept with it on 2 pillows, and two on recliner, with it all the way back.

Circulation will get better when you start walking. Yes, you may have a purplish look to your foot when it is down. yes you will get weird shooting pains and sensations from time. Yes, most of the feeling will hopefully come back.

The severity and recovery time really varies. But a year is ball park, with gains until 18 months, with people saying it still gets better for a few years.

You may want to wear a compression sock when you start to walk. Sorta knee stocking, that is very tight and helps with swelling. I wore one until about 10 months, and was told some do forever. I still get a bit of swelling around 24+ months. Wear a sock over it.

I wear light wool hiking socks year round. Get good cushiony socks.

Physical therapy is very important, be strict and do it. I started with range of motion at about 6 weeks.

Your calf is going to shrink a lot and your thigh. You can help your thigh a little by doing leg exercises, with out weight.

Calve raises will help the calf, when the time comes. You will have to do them with both feet. As time goes on put more weight on the bad foot. I still can’t do one footed, and probably never will, but many can.

This is a life changing event, that’s just the way it is. IMO you got to be tough and push, you will now when it really hurts and time to stop.

Many people get custom made orthotics a few months after they start walking. Wear them for short periods at first, increasing time. You will need a deeper shoe to fit it. New Balance plus others make them. You will probably never wear cheap footwear again.

Some people say don’t spend much on shoes the first year, but I say you got to wear something. You will probably need a wide shoe. Some wear two sizes, some just tighten the other, which is what I do.
When I went back to work I started with 6”lace up boots, cause my ankle was weak, I eventually moved up to 8” and find 8 a lot better. I wears 8” lace up boots for pretty much everything.

Fusing is a common treatment for this, they screw your foot together. Which limits movement, but you may have lost it anyways. I didn’t have surgery, cause I was in to bad of shape. I may someday, if the arthritis gets to bad.

Yes, you will most likely get arthritis.

As for pain, for me its not so much the heel but the outside ankle, because I also shattered my subtalar joint, which is not uncommon. I also have problems with my achilles. Not a lot of pain until I started walking. But it gets better, every week and month. Things were decent by month 11.

I started walking at 12 weeks, still used wheel chair a bit for couple weeks. Wheel chairs do help. Some people get knee walkers or scooters. Then I moved to walker some of the day, then walker and cane, and then just cane. I was to cane in 3-4 weeks, but still using waker when I went places for awhile.

By 5-6 months I think the walker was gone. In the beginning you will notice improvement almost weekly, if you try. Then it slows up a bit. After year it got slow for me.

It is illegal in many states to drive with just your left foot, so keep that in mind. Many people start driving with 3-5 months.

Many heelies have problem on uneven surfaces, due to less range of motion. This may be worse when it fused.

As for pain, I don’t have a lot on normal days around the house. But if I do a lot I feel it, with increased activity. Everything has a price. You have to spend some pain currency.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
Carbonfiber139 (07-05-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
(male)

paremo HB User

You are in the early stages at 8 weeks,P.T will start of slowly,with range of motion exercise's.Then your doctor will have you start weight bearing at 25%.Its slow recovery for this kinda break.Its 5mts since I had my orif surgery. Im still in P.T and im dealing with the pain,some days are worse than others,but it is improving.I work in construction and I dont see myself returning anytime soon.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
(male)

Big Jock HB User

To those who Have helped (Zerk) particularly, thank you. Things are progressing well. I am currently at the 4 month point since the accident. I have removed the cast and are attempting to walk with shoes. It is incredibly painful, predominantly around my achilles and around the ankle joint. The surgeon said it won't gt much better than it currently is although i should have less Odema around the ankle. I should start more detailed physio soon and have ordered compression socks. I have started to drive although only short distances. I aim to go back to work in a month or so but in a limited capacity, no climbing. Anyway, enough waffle i need to work hard and let my recover run its course. Good luck everyone!!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
(male)

Big Jock HB User

To those who Have helped (Zerk) particularly, thank you. Things are progressing well. I am currently at the 4 month point since the accident. I have removed the cast and are attempting to walk with shoes. It is incredibly painful, predominantly around my achilles and around the ankle joint. The surgeon said it won't gt much better than it currently is although i should have less Odema around the ankle. I should start more detailed physio soon and have ordered compression socks. I have started to drive although only short distances. I aim to go back to work in a month or so but in a limited capacity, no climbing. Anyway, enough waffle i need to work hard and let my recover run its course. Good luck everyone!!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

When going back to work, conserve yourself. Even if you are not in pain sit, or take the stairs. I think when you are not working, it is good to take the steps to build your strength. But you got to get through the work day. You got to earn money.

Also using mechanical means to do things, suchs as lifting, or machine or cart to carrry.

Now you want to develop and recover, but at work you want to do your job.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
(male)

aerischester HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
When going back to work, conserve yourself. Even if you are not in pain sit, or take the stairs. I think when you are not working, it is good to take the steps to build your strength. But you got to get through the work day. You got to earn money.

Also using mechanical means to do things, suchs as lifting, or machine or cart to carrry.

Now you want to develop and recover, but at work you want to do your job.
Mr zerk, almost 12 weeks now, no surgery. Start walking fwb in a shoe 8 weeks, feel ok with a little pain but i still walking with limp. I want to ask if limp will go away? I walk perfectly fine and no pain on water.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

The limp will probably go away. It may come back when you are tired or not paying attention. I notice myself walking funny, then I straighten out. Not sure if it foot, or I am just weird. ha.

It is important to work on walking properly. Stepping off correctly. We spent some time on that at PT. even though I could walk without a cane, they wanted me to use it for awhile. I gave it up around 6 months. Was using it for long distances at that time.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

The limp will probably go away. It may come back when you are tired or not paying attention. I notice myself walking funny, then I straighten out. Not sure if it foot, or I am just weird. ha.

It is important to work on walking properly. Stepping off correctly. We spent some time on that at PT. even though I could walk without a cane, they wanted me to use it for awhile. I gave it up around 6 months. Was using it for long distances at that time.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
(male)

aerischester HB User

Thank you zerk. My os told me i can still run but not marathon,i dont really run, actually i dont have any sports. I want to ask if the pain on my ankle and i guess subtalar joint will go away? On my x-ray, you will still see a hole on the joint but os said i will might have arthritis early,im only 25 and he said it might come whenever.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ya pain will go away, but be back with use. Just around the house or an office, I am usually fine. But as activity goes up so can pain.

As for arthritis, you will have it, and most likely soon. The first year or so, is going to be weird. Pain out of nowwhere. Shooting sensations. For me the ROM was set the first few months, but I got stronger and pain got better.

I am doing everything I want to. But there is some moderation.

Closed Thread