It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

mjt64 HB User
Exclamation Lapidus Procedure/Bone Graft Will I EVER Be Normal Again?

I had a lapidus procedure with a bone graft 4 weeks ago. Im so frustrated with the pain. i was not expecting to have this surgery. Went to hospital to have a bunion repair and expected to be in a walking boot when I left. Woke up in a cast to my knee and was told they had to do an extensive surgery.

I was not mentally prepared to be down for 6-8 weeks. And now half way into it, I realize it is going to be a much longer process. I am getting very depressed as I am typically a very active person and right now I can't do much of anything because of the pain and being non weight bearing.

I spend most days being sick because of the pain meds. When I try doing stuff, I get sweaty, shaking and nausea.

If ANYONE has any words of advice, or just understanding of what his is like, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by mjt64; 06-26-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

sorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB User
Re: Lapidus Procedure/Bone Graft Will I EVER Be Normal Again?

good luck, been there, thought that..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

mjt64 HB User

Thanks for the reply. Was frustrated...still am. Seem to be getting worse instead of better.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

Please keep me posted, I am walking okay now (3 years after my first lapidus) but am going into surgery # 6 next week! but I do not have the pain that I had after the first surgeon botched it. what a fiasco! You will have a life again but it is a long process. Jane

The Following User Says Thank You to sorefooted For This Useful Post:
mjt64 (06-26-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

LapidusBunion HB User

Ugh, I am in e same boat, frustrating is right, I'm 9 weeks post op on a lapidus, walking w a bad gimp, finally, my foot is still swollen, and it's been very slow process, I'm an active person and is too is killing me!

The Following User Says Thank You to LapidusBunion For This Useful Post:
mjt64 (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
(female)

mjt64 HB User

I am almost at the 5 week mark. I can't even put my foot down because of swelling. He says non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. I can not even imagine ever putting weight on this foot. The pain is worse now than when I first had the surgery. When I take the pain meds, I start throwing up. I have never had anything so miserable in my life and am so bad wishing I hadn't done this!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
(female)

mjt64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapidusBunion View Post
Ugh, I am in e same boat, frustrating is right, I'm 9 weeks post op on a lapidus, walking w a bad gimp, finally, my foot is still swollen, and it's been very slow process, I'm an active person and is too is killing me!
When did you first start walking and how bad was the pain when your doctor said you could put weight on it? Did your pain get worse at about the 4-5 week mark? And when did it finally start to feel like a regular foot again?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
(female)

I had the lapidus done one summer, my foot did not heal right and I had it redone by another surgeon a year later. I was in bed, foot elevated, NWB, for 9-12 weeks with each one. I will say the best thing the second surgeon recommend was to not to rush the recovery. while the first surgeon told me to get right back into a sneaker (my foot was so swollen), the second surgeon put me in a walking cast for 3 months, after the 10 weeks of non weight bearing. this kept the swelling done and allowed me to heal much more comfortably. PT is also important. take it easy on yourself, this is a huge surgery. I live in the northeast and I would never go anywhere but Boston for this!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
(female)

do not even plan on walking normal for a while. do not rush it. can you get into a pool? that helped me, it took the pain off but enabled me to stay mobile.The dr's in Boston were so far ahead of the Maine doctors on this, my recovery the second time around was so much better. I would stay in the aircast walking boot for as long as possible. it was still a long process. It is really a tough surgery. Jane

Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
(female)

mjt64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefooted View Post
I had the lapidus done one summer, my foot did not heal right and I had it redone by another surgeon a year later. I was in bed, foot elevated, NWB, for 9-12 weeks with each one. I will say the best thing the second surgeon recommend was to not to rush the recovery. while the first surgeon told me to get right back into a sneaker (my foot was so swollen), the second surgeon put me in a walking cast for 3 months, after the 10 weeks of non weight bearing. this kept the swelling done and allowed me to heal much more comfortably. PT is also important. take it easy on yourself, this is a huge surgery. I live in the northeast and I would never go anywhere but Boston for this!
What about your foot didn't heal right? I keep saying somethings wrong but I don't think my dr believes me. I also had a cadaver bone graft. Did you have that?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
(female)

I remember it hurt like crazy when I tried to walk, go slow. it stayed swollen for a long time. Use crutches to help you too. use the aircast as much as possible, this will keep the pain down so at least you can get around and have your life back.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt64 View Post
What about your foot didn't heal right? I keep saying somethings wrong but I don't think my dr believes me. I also had a cadaver bone graft. Did you have that?
My big toe healed up so I was walking on the next two toes for a year before the Boston surgeon saw me.My second two toes were constantly sore and i developed stress fractures from walking worn. The second dr had to re break my foot, do a bone graft to get the big toe down (you have to push off your big toe when you walk. This was successful, except now I have so much scar tissue my second toe is stuck up. but I am fully functional and the pain is overall tolerable.

mjt64 (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
(female)

are you staying off your foot? why do you think something is wrong? Remember, you have had your foot broken , screws put in and you are stuck in bed. its all awful. but you will get better. just be kind to yourself. the shower chair, walker (i'm in my 40's) and raised toilet seat saved me. keep your foot elevated at all times when you are in bed. keep the swelling down and stay on top of your pain meds (even if its ibuprofen). ice it. when my cast came off the first time my foot was black and swollen. the dr told me to shove it into a sneaker and walk. yeah right! as I said before, the Boston dr said, "hot so fast" keep the pain down, wear a walking cast and slowly try to get back into a shoe. I loved that tactic. so much easier..

mjt64 (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
(female)

Finchesca HB UserFinchesca HB User

I'm so sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. Something is a sticking point for me - you said that you were expecting bunion surgery, not this. When you say "expecting", did you mean "hoping...but I knew there was a possibility of more extensive surgery" or "I had no idea they would do this kind of surgery and I did not consent to it"?

I am hoping it's the former. I would hate to think that a non-emergency surgeon performed something so dramatic, even involving cadaver bone, without consulting you, explaining everything and obtaining your consent in advance.

Just checking!

Last edited by Finchesca; 06-27-2012 at 01:47 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Finchesca For This Useful Post:
mjt64 (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
(female)

mjt64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefooted View Post
are you staying off your foot? why do you think something is wrong? Remember, you have had your foot broken , screws put in and you are stuck in bed. its all awful. but you will get better. just be kind to yourself. the shower chair, walker (i'm in my 40's) and raised toilet seat saved me. keep your foot elevated at all times when you are in bed. keep the swelling down and stay on top of your pain meds (even if its ibuprofen). ice it. when my cast came off the first time my foot was black and swollen. the dr told me to shove it into a sneaker and walk. yeah right! as I said before, the Boston dr said, "hot so fast" keep the pain down, wear a walking cast and slowly try to get back into a shoe. I loved that tactic. so much easier..

The reason I feel like something is wrong is because its a little over a month now and I still have no strength. I can't use the crutches at all. I tried and fell so hard in the drs office he wanted to send me to the ER for X-rays. If I do the least little thing I get weak and sweaty and shaky. I realize my foot was broken so I can somewhat understand the pain level but this weakness in my body is a true shock. As far as pain meds go, I've tried two kinds and both have had adverse side effects. Either i have to deal with the pain on my own or take the pain meds and end up throwing up all day. This has been the worst experience ever!

As for what you doctor told you about putting foot in shoe, I can not even imagine doing that even now at 4+ weeks. I really can't imagine doing it even in 4 more! I'm glad you had a different experience the second time around!

Closed Thread