HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Started PT today (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/905893-started-pt-today.html)

dmbnj 06-20-2012 05:12 PM

Started PT today

I'm 12 weeks post-op on a Brostrom procedure. I finally got a rx for PT and my first visit was today. She started with a few exercises and did some manipulation after. The doctor only approved 4 visits :mad: and she said that she won't get much progress with so few visits. After the two weeks are up she will try to convince him that I need more. My dorsiflexion/plantarflexion ROM are pretty close to normal. Two weeks ago I stepped wrong while going up stairs and foot went all the way down. It felt like a bad sprain, but after that my ROM was near normal. I must have broken up some scar tissue. I guess that's one way to get ROM back.
I can't believe that he prescribed so few visits, he was even hesitant to even prescribe any PT. I hope she can get more visits out of him.

Hollywood48 06-20-2012 10:16 PM

Re: Started PT today

Yay for PT, but yes you need more than 4 visits! Seriously!??!! I can't believe you went all the way over on your ankle. Like twisted it and inverted it? Ouch! It's ok now? Wow! Hang in there! Oh and I leave for overseas tomorrow and have been swelling like crazy! Nervous about the flight!

dmbnj 06-21-2012 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=Hollywood48;5003378]YI can't believe you went all the way over on your ankle. Like twisted it and inverted it? [/QUOTE]

No, no, no, I didn't invert the ankle. It was just a very rough full dorsiflexion.

Good luck on your trip.

Hollywood48 06-24-2012 03:28 PM

Oh whew! I thought you had twisted it! So glad I was wrong? Any word on more PT visits? Trip going well so far except I've stayed immensely swollen the entire time I've been over here. It will go down some overnight, but then jumps right back up! Argh! Oh well!

joyful123 06-26-2012 06:06 PM

Hey. Were you able to get any more visits for PT approved yet. That's nuts that the doctor only approved four visits....and be careful!

dmbnj 06-26-2012 06:16 PM

I have two more visits left. The PT said she would ask for more but yesterday she looked at my chart and "remembered" that she should ask for more. I got 6 new exercises yesterday. Looks like I'm on the "fast track".

joyful123 06-26-2012 06:18 PM

Well I really hope they approve more visits. I couldn't imagine only having four visits - I really didn't get that far in four visits. Keep us updated!

dmbnj 06-26-2012 06:26 PM

I'm not optimistic as he didn't want me to do any PT. Not sure what the deal is as he doesn't have to pay for it. I assume that if she calls for more visits the secretary will be the one to put the authorization through and he will have no involvement. The two times I had ankle surgery I got no PT.

joyful123 06-26-2012 06:30 PM

Seriously? Was it the same doctor for the other surgeries? That really stinks! I cannot imagine not having rehab - and mine is all workers comp. They aren't giving me a hard time - at least not yet!

dmbnj 06-26-2012 06:33 PM

Nope, different doctors. Must have gone to the same school. LOL

How are you doing? Has driving gotten better for you?

joyful123 06-26-2012 06:35 PM

That really stinks - maybe we need new schools for the ankle doctors :)

Driving is better - I still cannot brake with my right foot though, but it's not as painful as it was, thankfully. I'm in rehab three days a week - although this week & next week it's all messed up due to vacations and stuff.

I have to go back to work for Dominos tomorrow night - first night back since the injury in December. I'm really nervous, but I'm only working for two hours....so we shall see.

dmbnj 06-26-2012 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=joyful123;5007487]

I have to go back to work for Dominos tomorrow night - first night back since the injury in December. I'm really nervous, but I'm only working for two hours....so we shall see.[/QUOTE]

I hope tomorrow is OK for you. I saw that you twisted it again. :( Ugh, I am still very cautious where I walk in fear of twisting it. I was cleaning out my basement this weekend and twisted my other ankle. I was like really. Thankfully it wasn't too bad and only hurt that day. I don't want to do this surgery again, especially on my R ankle.

joyful123 06-26-2012 06:44 PM

Yeah I hear ya on that one. While doing rehab my PT has stated my left ankle is as weak if not weaker than the one I just had surgery on. I was like, really? Okay, so let's keep that as our little secret.....sigh. I really don't want to go through this again if I can help it!

I hope tomorrow goes well for me too - I'm definitely not delivering to the house where I fell off the porch - if they order tomorrow night. Nuts, just nuts.

Yes I did twist it last week - it really hurt! It lasted about 48 hours but finally settled down again. I'm just such a klutz, it's ridiculous sometimes!

dmbnj 06-26-2012 06:48 PM

You're not a klutz, it's just that you need more PT on your ankle. There are little muscles that need to be exercised so your body knows where your foot is and to prevent a sprain.

joyful123 06-26-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks. I really had no idea that it would take this long to recover. I'm still in the lace up boot - unless I'm in the house. It's crazy. MY PT has me trying to walk in a straight line from toe to heel - I cannot do it at all. I don't have any sense of balance and my left ankle is much weaker than the one I just had surgery on. Trying not to think about it, just trying to get the strength and mobility back on my right ankle.