It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

zolnmata HB User
Talus OATS procedure - long term

Just came across these boards. 12 yrs ago I had the micro fracture procedure done to the top of my talus. A year and a half ago the doc did a double 8mm an alograff OATs procedure in the trouble spot to combat the worn out microfracture and damaged talus bone. Of course, one of the graffs healed flawlessly, the adjacent graff didnt heal at all for some reason. So, the doc did a 10mm graff in the place of the 8mm graph that didnt take last month. Im a month onto recovery. Not doing too bad. I have the boot and can stand/gimp around without the boot if needed. range of motion is good, strength is good. I was in soft cast for 2 weeks and hard cast for 2 weeks, and now PT and Im ahead of the curve. Crossing my fingers this graff takes. I know the OATs procedure is reletively new, but whats the industry thinking my joint is going to be like in 20 years if these graffs take?? Im sure its all speculation, but arthritis, bone degredation, anything? The talus is pretty darn important.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: Talus OATS procedure - long term

Hello

I had my OATS in 2008 and had no signs of arthritis before it, but it came on with a vengeance after that surgery. My plugs took well, but within 6 months of it, arthritis started appearing in tibiotalar joint and subtalar joint. Since then I've had my subtalar joint fused (and well, some other stuff as well) but am now looking at an ankle replacement early next year - I am 44 yrs old.

I am certainly not saying this will happen to you, but osteoarthritis is common in the ankle after a trauma - just depends on when it happens. I seemed to be on the 'express train' ... Hopefully your train never leaves the station

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread