It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

ilovepeanut HB User
scared about upcoming bunionectomy

I'm planning on having bunion surgery soon, and after reading all these posts I'm scared to death!!! Would most people advise against having it done?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User
Re: scared about upcoming bunionectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepeanut View Post
I'm planning on having bunion surgery soon, and after reading all these posts I'm scared to death!!! Would most people advise against having it done?
Only do it if you are in pain and not for cosmetic procedures. Make sure your surgeon has done alot of these procedures. Make sure he is board certified in foot and ankle surgery. A foot and ankle ortho doc just told me no one needs bunion surgery; you can try wider shoes and orthotics. You don''t walk on your face. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chubstercat For This Useful Post:
ilovepeanut (06-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

Do your research and ask a lot of questions before surgery. I first came to this forum because I was in pain following a buinionectomy, and I would guess many people come to the forum for support and reassurance, I know I did. I healed well, and am having the same surgery on my other foot (except with permanent screws instead of pins) in less than 3 weeks. As Chubstercat mentioned below, don't have surgery unless you are in pain and I would add, when your activities have been restricted because of the foot pain. The forum is a great comfort because there are people here who really do know what you are experiencing, well, as near as anyone can! So be well informed and be well prepared for immediate post-surgery life because the surgery is the easiest part, it is the recovery that counts.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

ilovepeanut HB User

Thanks so much for the response! I think I am going to hold off on the surgery till I HAVE to have it. Thanks again.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
(female)

ilovepeanut HB User

Thanks very much for the honest reply. Going to put off the operation till I absolutely have no choice!!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

CrochetAddict HB UserCrochetAddict HB User

Yes, don't do it unless you are restricted in activities because of pain from the bunion/hammertoes. I got to the point where I felt like I wanted to go through the surgery because of pain. The surgeon told me point blank that I didn't NEED it because it is not a life-threatening condition, but my deformity is serious enough that surgery is definitely a good choice. She let me leave with no pressure to act immediately which I liked. It's not like it's a heart condition or something wrong with you that is going to kill you.

I thought about it from October 2011 until March 2012 and went about my regular activities. We went to Disney and I had to do a lot of walking which sealed the deal for me. I talked at length with my rheumatologist. She told me flat-out that if she had my feet she would not hesitate to do it.

So, around March I knew I was going to do it, so I met with my surgeon again and took my list of questions. She was patient, kind and answered them all. We tried orthodics before March--I forgot about that. She said she did not feel they would help at this point because things were so advanced, but she said we should try. They didn't work (they caused pain elsewhere). So, in May this year I had a bunion corrected, a bone spur shaved off, and ALL FOUR hammertoes corrected. I basically have a completely new foot.

I managed many years with my bunion (got it from RA) but once my hammertoes were hurting so much from rubbing against my shoe tops, my little toes started falling asleep because I walk on them (they are curled under the toe next to them) I knew it was time.

You will know when you've truly had enough and there are no other options.

I highly recommend seeing a MD who has specialized in feet/ankles. I go to an ortho center in St. Louis that is affiliated with a medical school. All ortho dr's there go through extra training in their specialized area. This is the ONLY type of surgeon I would use. I want someone who only does feet/ankles to work on my ankles/feet.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
(female)

ilovepeanut HB User

THANKS for your detailed response. I AM GOING TO WAIT!!

Closed Thread