It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

sorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB User
Stuck up toe anyone??

Hi all, Has anyone ever had a tendon totally released in a toe that was stuck up from too much scar tissue? I have had 5 foot surgeries. the first two were botched. when the good surgeon tried to fix what the bad surgeon had messed up he had to shorten my second toe. When it healed, the toe was elevated and over the third toe. when he took the hardware out he cleaned up the scar tissue but it came back even worse. He did a tendon transfer last November which he said works in the majority of cases to get the toe down. My toe flung right back up. The top of my foot is constantly black and blue, swollen and the toe is just plain tired from being stuck up. It hurts all the time but it never gets worse, I am functional, doing most everything I want despite the bruising, swelling and pain. I have had a ton of PT, to no avail. he now wants to cut and release the tendon totally, which will leave me with a down toe, but I am afraid of how much it will drop. will I trip over it? Has anyone ever had this done and how did it turn out?please advise.thank you. Jane

Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User
Re: Stuck up toe anyone??

"he now wants to cut and release the tendon totally,"

I've had this done on 2,3,and 4. They were fused and are no problem after 8 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you, so your toe doesn't drop down to trip over it? I can't wrap my head around what this will be like? I appreciate the response.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

"I can't wrap my head around what this will be like? "

Most likely it will be fused so that it neither moves up or down but sticks straight out so to speak. Mine were pinned for six weeks; the joints fuse so that they can not move. There are also some types of implants that are used to accomplish the same thing.

I have had mine for about 8 years and is a non issue.

If you are thinking of having it done, do an internet search on the subject. Plenty out there.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you, the problem is he is cutting the tendon, not doing anything with the bones. There will be no screws etc. Its my understanding that the tendon allows you to move it up and down, mine will just drop. I just don't know how far down it will drop. My first toe is fused, so i know about that, but I have never had a tendon cut.

Closed Thread