It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

GimpyRunner HB User
Lapidus bunionectomy with external screw fixation

I had the lapidus procedure with external screw fixation a week ago. The dr. changed the dressing yesterday but didn't put any dressing to separate the first toe from the second when he re-dressed it. Today I notice that my big toe is already drifting over again.
This is the second bunionectomy I've had on this foot as the first one didn't address the issue of (or maybe it wasn't an issue 14 years ago?) of the hypermobility and 18-20 degree difference between my first metatarsal and second.
At any rate, I noticed that my big toe drifted over gradually and eventually even crossed under my second toe (dr. said it was at a 45 degree angle to my first metatarsal). Has anyone else had this issue and is it something I should worry about? I don't see the dr. for another week but I'm concerned that maybe it's something I shouldn't wait to act on.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
(female)

sorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB User
Re: Lapidus bunionectomy with external screw fixation

I would call him and ask. Scar tissue could be forming causing it to drift.. been there, done that.. sigh. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
(female)

GimpyRunner HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. I spoke with the doctor and he said I should put some cotton or some other spacer between the toes to keep them separated. He also advised me to go in before my next appt. if I felt that it's getting worse. Sigh.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
(female)

LapidusBunion HB User

Wow, ya I had a plastic wedge between my toes for 6 weeks, I also had the lapidus done, im 9 weeks post op, are you a runner too? I am worried about my running in the long run, if I'll even be able to run again :-/

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

GimpyRunner HB User

So, how's it feel 9 weeks post op? I hope you are healing magnificently! Is the separation between your toes holding? I've got a sock stuck between my first two toes right now (I have a silicone wedge somewhere but I can't really go searching for it myself right now); I hope the doctor will do something about it when I see him Fri. When did you start putting weight on the foot? Did you have a "boot" or were you in a cast? I have a boot but I haven't put any weight on my foot at all, and I am 12 days post op now. When I wake up my foot stretches and I feel like someone is ripping out my plantar fascia; did you experience anything similar? I am so worried that my foot is just going to do the same thing again, since this is what happened when I had a bunionectomy on this foot back in '98 (or was it '99?). I do NOT want to have to go through this again! Except, of course, that my right foot has essentially the same problem. I'm hoping that the increased pain in my right foot is just due from it doing ALL the work right now.
I went to an orthopedist for a second opinion before I had this surgery (he whole-heartedly agreed that I needed to have it) and he said I should NOT run anymore; it was very discouraging to hear since I love to run and am very physically active. He said that with the damage to the joint on my big toe already present that running will just accelerate the wear and tear and I would be looking at having to have my big toe fused to the first metatarsal bone eventually. He suggested using an elliptical, biking, and swimming as good alternatives. I'm very depressed about the advise to never run for exercise anymore (I also play racquetball but I was afraid to hear his answer to that so I didn't even ask), but I'm glad that I also enjoy biking and swimming, so I guess I'll just have to adapt.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
(female)

LapidusBunion HB User

Walking has been great, I was in a splint for 2 weeks, got my stiches out, then had a fiberglass cast on for 4 weeks, went to the cam boot for 2 weeks, which after a few days I could walk in that, and 6 weeks I was able to wear my husbands old running shoes, I am currently near 10 weeks post op on the lapidus...

I can wear my running shoes to the gym, they are a bit snug, but not overly bad, and i don't wear them for long periods of time, i am worried my toe will move back or something

walking in the morning is rough my foot is pretty tight, and if i am out for a period of time it starts to get slow, i just take it off when i get in the car, my toe is stiff too still, but i can move it and wiggle it, i think it's making ok progress

i am in the gym 5 days a week, i do the bike and eliptical, and for swimming, though he said i can not keep it submerged that long until i'm totally cleared at the doctor, which is about 12 weeks-ish, but doing ok!

i just really want to be able to run!

yeah my foot feels funny when i stretch it, but nothing feels as if it were going to tear

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
(female)

sorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB User

Please keep me posted. It is such a long recovery, but we need our feet to be functional! I just had my tendon stretched yesterday and more scar tissue removed, so I too will be hobbling for a while.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
(female)

GimpyRunner HB User

You had to have your tendon stretched? That sounds very uncomfortable! And having scar tissue removed sounds even worse! I'll definitely keep you posted!

Closed Thread