It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

luv2Boutside HB User
high arches, torn tendon=calcaneal osteotomy

First of all let me say I am so glad to have found this site. There is so much info and support here.
I haven't been able to find someone who had issues with high arches and an osteotomy so I am hoping someone can help me out.
Here's my story...
A few months ago my left lateral foot started hurting when I put weight on the ball of my foot. I am 42 and active. I bike, hike, snowboard, camp, (you get the idea). I can recall no injury or event, just woke up and it hurt. 2 days prior I took a spin class at the gym.
So the MRI which showed several partial thickness tears in brevis tendon, fraying of the longus tendon, and a large os peroneum in the longus tendon.
Tried a month in a CAM boot and 2 weeks in a stirrup splint with PT. No real improvement or change.
So....Ortho surgeon says you can try orthotics but they are expensive and will probably not help. We can just fix the tendons, but without fixing the underlying anatomical problem, they may just tear again. Or we can fix tendons and do a dwyer osteotomy.
He is a highly recommended surgeon and I trust him, but truthfully I am so scared. Recovery time seems like forever...
Sorry for the long post...
But has anyone else been in this similar situation? I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance.
Thanks.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
(male)

AdviceSeeker2 HB User
Re: high arches, torn tendon=calcaneal osteotomy

Hi,
My wife is in a very similar situation. She has high arches, recently tore tendons and has a doctor recommending a Dwyer osteotomy and tendo repair. Not sure if Dwyer osteotomy is same as a calcaneal osteotomy but the descriptions seem very similar. I went with her to a second doctor who just recomends tendon repair since there have been no previous issues. The idea of fixing the bone seems logical but my issue is fixing it in one leg, won't that through everything off unless you do both feet? I am going with my wife to her next appointment with the first doctor so I can hear the doctor explain Dwyer osteotomy surgery. I am wondering if you have gone ahead with the surgery or if you went with a different treatment plan?

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Hi Andy,
I am having surgery for high arch on Friday: two tendon transfers, calcaneal osteotomy and plantar fascia release. If xrays show that you wife's heel is not aligned properly, an osteotomy seems like a no-brainer -- why go to the trouble (and pain) of balancing the tendons without aligning the bones at the same time? You should ask her OS to explain why s/he's going with an osteotomy in the first place, since there seems to be conflicting opinions about this, and why a Dwyers instead of a medial slide? My OS used xrays to clearly illustrate to me how out of alignment my heel is because of unbalance tendons. He is doing a medial slide on my heel. If you are brave enough, Google will lead you to videos of Dwyer osteotomies, and list the pros and cons of this approach. Good luck to you both!!

Last edited by PesCav; 01-16-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
(female)

luv2Boutside HB User

Hi Andy, first of all I'm sorry to hear that about your wife. It sucks.
I believe it is the same. I ended up getting another opinion because, while it did indeed make sense it seemed like an awfully big surgery. The other doc said just fix the tendons. I too was concerned about doing one and not the other. Although first doc said that could be remedied with orthotics. I was scared to mess with the bones and the recovery time.
I had my tendon fixed and when in there, they found the tendon to be torn about 3 inches. I am fully recovered and finishing with PT. I am very happy with my decision. The therapist was able to "retrain" me with the way I walk which made a big difference. That being said, I would encourage you both to be completely sure that you do indeed need all that surgery. Perhaps a third opinion is necessary. I actually had 3! Just be sure they are board certified orthopedic surgeons.
I trusted my gut feeling and am happy I did so. That's not to say that down the line I may need to have the bones fixed, but I am willing to take that chance. My tendon repair and recovery went so well, I am not even worried about having the other foot repaired if need be. This surgery was fairly easy for me. I expected it to be much worse.
Hope this helps and if you need any further info, just ask.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
(male)

AdviceSeeker2 HB User

Hi all,
Thanks for your input and sorry for the delay in my response. We did end up getting a third opinion and opted to have the heel bone alignment surgery as well as repairing the tendons. The surgeon also adjusted the length of the achilles tendon. Surgery was March 18 and it went well. My wife spent two weeks in a soft cast (splint) and then 4 weeks in a hard cast all non-weight bearing. The next 4 weeks she will be using a cam walker (boot) and is using crutches to take up some of the weight. She is also in PT to help with the recovery. Still too soon to say if she is happy with results but she is healing well and we hope to make our annual Memorial day camping trip. I will try and post again once she is healed and can tell for sure if there is a big improvement.
Andy

Closed Thread