It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

prettyfeet03 HB User
Smile Post Double Bunionectomy

I had a double Austin or Chevron bunionectomy on June 4th, 2012. It's been 3 weeks today, and I just wanted to share my experience with anyone looking for more information. My bunions were not severe, but they did bother me. Mine were due to genetics, and oddly enough, it was from my dad. Most men do not get/have bunions. My big toe sat partially under my 2nd toe, but not entirely. The bunion was definitely noticeable in each foot, and would get red when irritated. So, surgery was the easy part. My doctor gave me a local anesthesia, and I was awake for the entire surgery. The worst part are the shots in the foot. They hurt like a mother. After that though, smooth sailing. I had an Ipod throughout the entire thing so I didn't hear anything. The shot they gave me lasted the rest of the day, and evening, until the next morning. That's when the pain hit me. It feels like they cut bone, which they did. And unfortunately, the vicodine I was given made me nauseous. However, after the second day, the pain was more bearable, and nothing that large doses of Motrin didn't fix. The first 3 days were probably the worst. I would highly recommend having someone with you most of the time. After those days, I was able to hobble myself around more comfortably, but I mostly kept my feet elevated and iced them some times. Last week I got the stitches out, and tomorrow I get my pins out (1 in each foot). I think the hardest part of this whole experience would be having to be at home and not doing anything. My back is hurting from all the sitting and sleeping on my back. Besides that, I haven't really had pain in over 1 1/2 weeks, and right now, they just feel uncomfortable. I think after the pins are out they'll start to feel more normal again. Hope this helps someone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
bunion, bunion surgery, bunion surgery post op