HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Foot Drop? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/906656-foot-drop.html)

abbythegabby 06-25-2012 05:20 PM

Foot Drop?

Has anyone had experience with foot drop after a foot/ankle surgery? if so what was the course of treatment?

Gimp123 06-26-2012 09:03 AM

Re: Foot Drop?

Hi, I have drop foot after my hip surgery 2 yrs ago. When did you notice your foot drop? It may come back on it's own (6-12 mos). What you may want to do in the meantime is get an AFO (ankle foot orthotic) and you'll need new shoes that are 1-2 sizes larger to accommadate the AFO. Do the exercises that your PT gives you - these will help keep the muscles working...Another thing, when the weather turns colder, please, do not wear slippers! There will be times when you don't concentrate on walking and wearing slippers may cause you to catch your toes and thump - you have rolled your ankle and hurt your foot!! Please be careful when you walk - try not to let your mind waiver.

Do you have nerve pain too?

Gimp123 06-26-2012 09:05 AM

Hi, I have drop foot after my hip surgery 2 yrs ago. When did you notice your foot drop? It may come back on it's own (6-12 mos). What you may want to do in the meantime is get an AFO (ankle foot orthotic) and you'll need new shoes that are 1-2 sizes larger to accommadate the AFO. Do the exercises that your PT gives you - these will help keep the muscles working...Another thing, when the weather turns colder, please, do not wear slippers! There will be times when you don't concentrate on walking and wearing slippers may cause you to catch your toes and thump - you have rolled your ankle and hurt your foot!! Please be careful when you walk - try not to let your mind waiver.

Do you have nerve pain too?

abbythegabby 06-26-2012 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Gimp123;5007113]Hi, I have drop foot after my hip surgery 2 yrs ago. When did you notice your foot drop? It may come back on it's own (6-12 mos). What you may want to do in the meantime is get an AFO (ankle foot orthotic) and you'll need new shoes that are 1-2 sizes larger to accommadate the AFO. Do the exercises that your PT gives you - these will help keep the muscles working...Another thing, when the weather turns colder, please, do not wear slippers! There will be times when you don't concentrate on walking and wearing slippers may cause you to catch your toes and thump - you have rolled your ankle and hurt your foot!! Please be careful when you walk - try not to let your mind waiver.

Do you have nerve pain too?[/QUOTE]

i noticed it about a week ago, I was told the numbness I have from my shin down is normal, well i had a leg cramp and tried to strighten out my leg (which is still non weight bearing) and i could not move my foot at all.

I have an appointment tmw with the dr and will see what his official diagnosis is.

I hope PT will bring it back and that I wont need another surgery.

Gimp123 07-13-2012 10:47 AM

Hi, what did the dr say? what to do with leg cramps? I've had "muscles twitches" where there's a jerk and since I'm in a cast, didn't think anything of it. My foot is still stable-can't move.

katrae 07-20-2012 10:25 AM

Hi Gimp123. I also have foot drop from my hip replacement surgery March 28, 2012. I had the EMG test May 22nd. My test was discouraging and uncomfortable; discouraging because my foot/leg never responded that I could tell. Later my surgeon phoned me and said my Sciatic nerve had a retractor injury. Past that I can't remember what he said; he's always extremely optimistic/hopeful. I want to deal in reality. I go to see him next week and will ask more pointed questions. There is "possibly" some tiny improvement but it could be my imagination................... BTW I first had the AFO plastic device that fit in my shoe; very uncomfortable; $50.00. Next I bought the padded ankle cuff, attaches with Velcro. Then there's a small plastic device with a strap goes under my shoe laces and attaches to the cuff; $80.00. Extremely better device, but twice the cost. Both I bought new off Ebay at much reduced prices.