It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
(female)

LapidusBunion HB User
Thumbs up Update! 59 days post LAPIDUS BUNIONECTOMY

Just some encouragement for those going through, about to go through, or have gone through this VERY long process!

I am 59 days post op on this procedure, small back story, 2 weeks in a splint, 4 weeks in the fiberglass cast, and 2 weeks in a cam boot

I did everything right, never bumped the foot or hit it, kept it propped up during the day and while sleeping, the recovery felt like forever!

So I went in at 8 weeks with my camboot and my husbands running shoes he didn't wear anymore, per doctors orders, to bring in shoes two sizes bigger, my ankle at this time was pretty strong, I was able to walk w the camboot w ease, and stretched and rotated my ankle when I wasn't in the camboot, so when I went in I felt good, my toe still barely moved, but I was cleared to walk when I could, which was that same day, obviously w a limp.

I was also cleared to workout, he actually didn't give me any physical therapy, which I was surprised, but he said I could do it on my own, I've been going to the gym daily, using the bike, lifting weights, and trying to get the muscle back in my VERY deflated calves lol, my toe has been moving! It's a lot more comfortable, I can wear my own gym shoes, a bit snug but it works!

Can't stand in bare ground, and my ankle is still stiff in the morning, but there is hope!

Happy healing everyone!

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-26-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to LapidusBunion For This Useful Post:
GimpyRunner (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
(female)

GimpyRunner HB User
Re: Update! 59 days post LAPIDUS BUNIONECTOMY

Thanks for your encouraging words! I am 46 days post surgery; the dr. has finally given me the okay to start putting weight on my foot (wearing the boot and using crutches). I can put weight on my heel fairly well but it sure does still hurt to have any weight on the front of my foot! Today was better than yestrday, though, so I'm hopeful that things will only get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

BubbleGuppy HB UserBubbleGuppy HB User

Yay for healing!

Okay, this could be an... odd question... but you had foot surgery (obviously, foot/ankle board, surgery thread.. ha.) but were you allowed to wear underwear during surgery or did they put a catheter in? :c

This isn't a funny question, I'm truly serious because I'm facing surgery in a month or two and I'm kinda uncomfortable without my undies, man. That could possibly be because I'm 14 and at that awkward stage where I hate everything about myself, but really, I'm curious whether you got to keep yours on or not.

I know that if they put a catheter in, they'll take them off. Some let you keep them on, some don't...

But keep on healing!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
(female)

GimpyRunner HB User

They make you take all your clothes off and wear a hospital gown for the surgery, but mine, at least, only took 90 minutes, and even after they put my i.v. in they let me go to the bathroom before the surgery. I didn't have a catheter during surgery (as far as I remember). I know it's uncomfortable to have to wear a hospital gown, but it makes it easier for them to take care of you. My main problem was being cold, but the gown has a hose attachment to a ventilation system, so you can use as much heat as you want with it.
Good luck with your surgery!

Last edited by GimpyRunner; 07-31-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
(female)

Now, let's just hope they don't schedule it the day my period starts, or the day before.

Because that would MAJORLY... suck... so bad. But I think they let you wear paper underwear for that...

But thank you, for answering that, because otherwise I'd be stuck asking a male surgeon and I'd be like "uh uh uh uh do I uh" and it would just turn out FAAAR more awkward than needed.

The following user gives a hug of support to BubbleGuppy:
GimpyRunner (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
(female)

GimpyRunner HB User

Well, BubbleGuppy, sorry but I mis-informed you (you should be happy about this, though!)--my husband just corrected me and said I did NOT, in fact, have to lose my underwear for the surgery--just everything else. But, truly, even if they make you go totally commando, the hospital staff doesn't care or even notice people's bodies--other than from a health/breathing standpoint. Now, if it happens to be that time of the month, you are right--that would MAJORLY suck! Of course, that might convince them to let you keep your undies on if they happen to be inclined towards not allowing you to wear them during surgery...
Good luck with your surgery--I can't imagine having to go through foot/ankle surgery at that age. On the other hand, if they can correct your problem now, think how many pain-free years you will gain!

The following user gives a hug of support to GimpyRunner:
BubbleGuppy (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
(female)

That's true!

People say don't do it unless it's absolutely needed... After being unable to walk for almost 3 months or so, it's TIME!

And I don't care about losing the bra, I know that can cause breathing problems of some sort and stuff, especially if something goes horribly wrong. But really, I'm GLAD that those gowns are baggy because honestly, I'm 5'0" and ALMOST in a DD... I weigh 114 pounds... Talk about BACK PROBLEMS. It really doesn't help my scoliosis... at all. But that's not that big of a deal, I mean... really. They wouldn't even blink an eye if they saw anything, I mean... they do this every day.

I would, tbh, feel better about wearing my underwear, but I'm sure that if I couldn't wear my own, that they would give me paper undies, because that would at least make me feel a LITTLE better.

I'm pretty scared, I guess. But the fact that I can't remember it... Yep, that works! It's scary, but in the end, my ankle is gonna be fixed!

Closed Thread