It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User
Nearly bit the dust last night! Omg!

Oh lord my biggest fear of all! Falling! Around 1 in the am used the porta potty , got up on on one foot and instead of grabbing walker grabbed porta potty arm . I was going down, put some weight on cast but got a hold of walker and came out of the fall. The only thing that hurt was the middle of my leg calf muscle. This morning the side of my foot burns a tad, it scared me worse than anything. My toes or anything isn't swelled just the side of my foot is kinda sore not bad. Scary stuff!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Lisa1006
roxygirl1 (06-28-2012), tenderfoot (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: Nearly bit the dust last night! Omg!

Ouchie!! I feel your pain!! Be careful...it is hard to balance when U are in pain and with the awkward casts & all of that extra apparatus! Hope U heal well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

Thanks! That is my biggest fear "falling" oh my gosh! I guess everyone goes through a little near mishap. Eeks! Lol

Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I went back and read what you have been through....I feel your pain! I finally got to the right DR. (I hope) this is OS number 3 for me....the others passed me on. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I have been struggling for over 8 years and am tired of going to a Dr and having them say do PT or wear orthotics. I have been exercising and I wear my orthotics...duh...if that was working I wouldn't be asking for help! I can't believe they gave U the good drugs! Mine just said over the counter stuff, which you must know doesn't help much.
Any way...finally got a surgeon who will do the transfer, heel allignment & lengthen the achilles...scary! I also have 3 spots of arthritis setting into the foot. Did they transfer a tendon from your big toe?
I will have to go back on blood thinners as being in a cast or boot puts you at risk for blood clots in the leg. I had one a few years ago (went to the Dr for recurring charlie horse, fearing a clot. Dr said it wasn't ....months later I ended up in the ER with multiple Pulmonary Emboli (guess it was)) I did the round of shots to the stomach then. I will probably stay on blood thinners throughout recovery. I am supposed to be on baby aspirin for life, but since I take stuff for pain, I often forget the small stuff. Not looking forward to this surgery or recovery....I run a restaurant...gotta figure out how this will work. UGH!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

They took my tendon from the calf of my leg. Im also in the cooking business, except I'm a cook at a preschool/ daycare my clients are from 7 months to 5 years old lol and let me tell u in their eyes I'm the greatest cook in the world lol parents come to me laughing saying their kids tell them they don't cook right because ms Lisa doesn't cook that way. I cook for 108 kids by myself mon- fri. I don't know how long I'm gonna b off work, I was shooting for 8 weeks but right now I think I'm dreaming. I am truley thankful that the last orthopedic dr was truthful with me and said he couldn't help me because it was just too much for him to take on and also said there's not that many drs that can do that surgery right. Hopefully I just have to go through this one time. When I was in the hospital the nurses told me people come from all over to have my dr do this surgery so I think that's a plus! Thank god for the drugs the only thing that really hurt me bad was when I had to stop my 500mg naproxen a week before surgery. I could continue the narcotics lol my son that's 16 went to work with me for a week and did my major running. Oh yeah I had to stop my baby aspirin I take for heart and blood pressure. To tell u the truth I dont know if I could go through that again, I'm 48 soon to b 49 so not that old but good god te recovery ugh! I tell u know I've sure been praying alot! Lol

Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

Seems cooking is a dangerous occupation! I have heard a lot of ppl on here cook or run restaurants. I am only 47...Who knew we would wear out so fast? I have friends running 5 & 10 K's ....I can't even imagine what torture that would be...even if someone was chasing me with a truck....I think I would let them run me over...might hurt less!! You must have a sub filling in at work, right? Finding workers here (ND) is really tough right now. Everyone wants the big oil big money jobs or their husband works so they don't have to. I am thinking I should get one of those little knee scooters post op and wondering how long before I will be able to stand to use it and maybe go back to work at least part time....do you think that is a possibility or would it be too painful???

Old 06-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

Oh yeah I have a sub filling in for me! About the knee scooter...I thought about getting one but all medical supply stores I've talked to say there reAlly a falling hazard. I dont know for a fact..that's just what I've been told. I'm 2 weeks out today from my surgery and right now I couldn't imagine doing that. I'm not a day time napper but since this surgery I take a 3 hour nap in the afternoon. I get up around 7 each morning and by 1 I am wore out and thats just not me. Could be a combo of the pain meds and surgery lol I hope u have someone to help u after surgery I can't even imagine being alone!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
(female)

Lisa1006 HB User

I nearly forgot. I'm with u on the getting ran over. I couldn't have ran with my foot in that condition to save my soul lol or another thing is wearing flip flops or sandals and heels r u kidding me! If someone laid out a million I don't think I could have walked across te room in a pair of heels! I used to love to wear flip flops when I was young and I could remember my mOm saying "your gonna mess your feet up' I wish I had listened now! I would for rheem manufacturing for 15 yrs on an assembly line,we made ac and heaters and such and it was mandatory we wore steel toed shoes so walking on concrete floors and wearing those probably didn't help my cause much either! Lol

Closed Thread