It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

applepie2424 HB User
Red face Foot Reconstruction Surgery: Experiences?

Hey guys!
I am going to have a reconstructive surgery on my left foot in August and would like to know your experiences and the result of the surgery after you were fully healed. I have bunyons on my foot and it is at an unnatural arch. I also have a foot drop problem and roll my foot to the outside (which caused my bunyons). I'd love to hear your stories and any advice on how I could deal with any post-op pain and such. Thanks!

-Emily

Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Foot Reconstruction Surgery: Experiences?

What proceedures are you having?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

applepie2424 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
What proceedures are you having?
They are going to do tendon transfers, shave off bone in areas (mostly on the side of my foot), cut ligaments, and shape the foot to a more normal appearance, as it is so malformed now that it's basically a clubbed foot. They will also flatten out the arch on the bottom of my foot.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

april1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB User

I had calcaneal osteotomy, kidner procedure, cotton wedge osteotomy with bone graft, and a gastroc recession on my right foot in Feb. 2011. Recovery was long and tiring. I spent two days in the hospital and then spent the next 6 weeks elevating my foot and being non weight bearing. I got the cast off at the 6 week mark and was shocked when I saw my foot. I saw all five of my incisions and found out that I had the beginnings of an ulcer on my heel from rubbing on the cast. After that appointment I got scared and wished I never had the surgery. I was so overwhelmed, how was I ever going to walk again, kept racing through my mind. I spent the next four weeks going to PT and learning how to walk again without assistance. I'm not going to lie, it was definetly the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I work at a psychiatric residential treatment center for children so my occupation requires me to be on my feet for long periods of time. I was off of work completely for 10 weeks. I then spent the next 8 weeks off the unit working as a secretary. My first week returning to work, I had a blood clot scare. Fortunetly I didn't end up having one but my doctor restricted me to only working four hour days for four weeks and then six hour days of the next four weeks. Finally after 18 weeks I was able to return to work with no restrictions besides doing floor restraints.

Unfortunetly I was diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) in my right leg 10 months after my flat foot surgery. About four months after my surgery I started regressing in physical therapy. I was having trouble keeping the pain under control. I was having severe nerve pain, wasting of muscles, muscle tightness, tremors, and sensitivity to touch. It started in just my foot but the following months it has progressed up into my hip. My whole leg is now affected.

The surgery itself was a success and has made the structure of my foot so much better off. However the complications that arrived from the surgery has made me wish I never had the surgery. I don't want to scare you because getting CRPS from this surgery is not common. I'm the only person that I've found on here who has had that complication.

What surgeries will you be having done?

Closed Thread