It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
(female)

Yogagirrl HB User
MRI on ankle - need help : should I get a second opinion

Hi this is my first time posting. I broke my fibula in October and I am still having pain. Recently in addition to pain I have been having numbness & tingling - trouble standing on my foot. My ortho ordered an MRI & the results said no fractures or marrow edema.
Small high t2w focus in the posterior superior calcaneus probably a variant of a degenerative cyst & close to the Achilles attachment.

Also says ...
There is fluid surrounding the post mallelor portion of the posterior tibial tendon and a mild amount of linear increased intratendinous signal just proximal to the attachment site on navicular. Findings most likely represent a combination of tenosynovitis and a very small intraday stance degeneration or intrasubstance partial tear of the distal tendon itself.

Impression: mild posterior tibial tendon tenosynovitis with mild linear intrasubstance signal in the distal attachment site. See above.

My question and concern is when I followed up with the ortho he said MRI looks good ??? So I pulled it out and asked about all the findings & tear & he said I wouldn't be concerned??? And I said I am because of the pain, tingling & instability I have been experiencing. And he said oh you probably have tendonitus - and the other findings wouldn't cause tingling or numbness..
I am confused - obviously something is wrong - I never experienced any problems before the break. Does anyone know what the MRI findings mean in laymans terms & from what I am reading tendinitis & tenosynovitis seem to be two different things / but maybe I am wrong? Should I get a second opinion? This has been my ortho since I was a child but he tends to be very lax in prognosis from my experience - I had knee pain for years & he thought I might have a meniscus tear & after seeing him & having an MRI (a year earlier) he decided on surgery where he discovered a full tear & grade 4 arthritis in the knee- bone on bone.
My biggest concern beside the pain - is he said it was fine & if I didn't have copy he wouldn't have discussed anything.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated - thank you very much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: MRI on ankle - need help : should I get a second opinion

Yes! take your MRI findings with you and find someone who can explain it all to you. I have been dealing with tendon issues in the ankle for years. I can not tell you how many times Drs have said it is just a sprain or just tendonitis....find someone who knows your pain! Good Luck! I sometimes have numbness or tingling in the sore leg/foot when sitting. May be a circulation problem due to swelling around the tendon or swelling pushing on nerves? I hate it when they belittle a report without explaining it...

The Following User Says Thank You to tenderfoot For This Useful Post:
Yogagirrl (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
(female)

Yogagirrl HB User

Thank you for replying tenderfoot. The numbness & tingling happens 95% of the time when I am sitting so maybe you are on to something.
Have you found help?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I finally found a surgeon who will do the surgery. He will transfer the tendon from my big toe to the ptt, reallign the heel and lengthen the achilles tendon...I just have to say when I am ready to do it. It becomes a work issue, but I can not live like this anymore. It has been over 8 years for me and I have tried it all...this is my last resort, short of cutting it off (which some days is tempting!) I run a restaurant...crazy...I do not know how I can be off work so long. hope yours soon feels better!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
(female)

Yogagirrl HB User

8 years wow that must be hard - I also run a restaurant so I completely understand how you must be feeling. Very long hours - on your feet constantly - with tremendous amounts of walking & definetly not condusive to taking a medical leave.
I wish you the best

Last edited by Yogagirrl; 06-28-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
(female)

LOL...must be a hazard of the trade! Actually my problem started when I was doing child care and landscaping my yard. Then I restored an old building and opened a restaurant. What was I thinking???? Somehow I envisioned having more employees doing the work...not doing more work for my employees. So now hopefully they will pick up the slack.

Closed Thread

Tags
achilles, ankle pain, tendon damage, tendonitis